Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Canada & Pregnancy

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks,
    This is a fairly random question but i cant seem to find any straight forward/proper info anywhere on the net.
    My fiance & I will be traveling to Canada in Jan 2014 on an IEC visa and within the next 2 years will be married & hopefully starting a family.
    My question is, does anyone know what the situation is if you get pregnant while on an IEC visa?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RoutleyLaw

If you get pregnant during your 12 month work permit nothing happens. You may be eligible for unemployment insurance during your maternity leave. Any child born in Canada will have the nationalit, plus your home nationality of course.

Later, if you do a PR application, you will need to demonstrate more funds in order to qualify, as your family will be larger.

The provincial health insurance plan will cover your delivery at the hospital if you have been present more than 3 months in Canada.

If you are visibly pregnant when you reach the port of entry to Canada, you will probably be rejected entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

LaineyB wrote: »
    My question is, does anyone know what the situation is if you get pregnant while on an IEC visa?!?

Unless you've got medial insurance, you'll be looking at thousands of dollars in additional expense for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaineyB

COYVB wrote: »
    Unless you've got medial insurance, you'll be looking at thousands of dollars in additional expense for starters

It is compulsory to have insurance when traveling into Canada on an IEC visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

COYVB wrote: »

Depends which province you are in. I got pregnant on my IEC and was on an LMO when I had my daughter never cost me a penny well actually $45 for 2 night stay in a private room. Everything else was covered by Alberta Health and I had worked long enough I got my maternity benefits no issue. (600 hours min worked so about 16 weeks full time)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaineyB

Thanks for that.Its great to have an idea of the situation.We're thinking of heading to Vancouver so hopefully it might be d same rule there.

• Advertisement

BC isnt as free is as Alberta
    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/theme.page?id=77259C98A670AC930366E75F02DB4DCB
    Has the BC healthcare details. think u have to pay a contribution monthly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

LaineyB wrote: »
    It is compulsory to have insurance when traveling into Canada on an IEC visa.

Forgot about that. Would the insurance company actually pay out for it though? Don't they tend only to cover emergency stuff, which I'm sure could be argued for in the case of pregnancy, but insurance companies don't like paying out for anything really. Definitely worth asking about before signing up for a policy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

bstar wrote: »
    Depends which province you are in. I got pregnant on my IEC and was on an LMO when I had my daughter never cost me a penny well actually $45 for 2 night stay in a private room. Everything else was covered by Alberta Health and I had worked long enough I got my maternity benefits no issue. (600 hours min worked so about 16 weeks full time)

Do you think you were covered due to the fact you were on an LMO then, or would it have been the same with just having the IEC?

I'm thinking of doing the same, possibly have a baby but I figure I might be in Canada a year at that stage, so should have the minimum amount of time worked, but not necessarily be on an LMO.

Once you are there no one but immigration care if it's an iec or a lmo work permit. A permits a permit. At least for Alberta and saskatchewan healthcare. I havent had health care in the others to know their standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elflass

NB! It's worth noting that in order to get PR you must past a medical and you can't get the medical when you are pregnant and you can't apply for PR until you are there for at least a year on your IEC. Also I've read that it can take a year for the PR to come through but they give you a bridging visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

elflass wrote: »
    NB! It's worth noting that in order to get PR you must past a medical and you can't get the medical when you are pregnant and you can't apply for PR until you are there for at least a year on your IEC. Also I've read that it can take a year for the PR to come through but they give you a bridging visa.

Not true. I've been in Calgary since last June, got my AINP approved in December and since applied for my PR. I have never heard once about having to be here for a year to apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

whats AINP? What do you need to apply for PR?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elflass

Mossyman wrote: »
    Not true. I've been in Calgary since last June, got my AINP approved in December and since applied for my PR. I have never heard once about having to be here for a year to apply for it.

Thats great to learn Mossyman, thanks! I too am baby planning and have read on other sites and threads that you can now apply for PR after being on the IEC visa or one year!
    What is an AINP?

elflass wrote: »
    Thats great to learn Mossyman, thanks! I too am baby planning and have read on other sites and threads that you can now apply for PR after being on the IEC visa or one year!
    What is an AINP?

It's a year for cec which most iec people are planning on applying for. U cant do the medical while pregnant but u can get bridging visas etc to tide u over on it. ainp is the alberta nominee program.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Mossyman wrote: »

Mossyman, what field do you work in? We're going to Calgary in September - I work in science and my husband is a cabinet maker. We're hoping to apply to the AINP too - but not sure how we'd go about it. Do you have to be working a certain length of time or can you apply for it independantly?

Advertisement