Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Ear Catilage infected?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I got my ear rim pierced for the first time on Friday evening. It's a tiny bar with two little balls on either end. After getting it done I went into Boots and bought saline solution which said it was for contact lens but which the assistant assured me would work perfectly well for piercings. I've been cleaning the piercing at least 2-3 times a day with the saline solution and either end of a cotton bud. On Monday the ear became sore and red. On Tuesday it became really swollen. It feels hot and sometimes I feel it throbbing. I put on Savlon Cream in case it was infected but now I'm worried about the healing process. Do it sound to you guys like it's infected ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Sounds like it's infected, although it's hard to be sure without seeing it.

I'm no expert on piercings, but instead of using saline solution, use sea salt soaks (sea salt in boiled water).

Do it about 4 or 5 times a day while it's infected.

Is there any gunk coming out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

It sounds totally normal. Cartilage is horrible to heal up.

Anyway, there's an easy way to tell if it's infected. If the fluid is clear, it's fine. If it's dark green/brown, it's infected.

Infection is pretty rare though, so I'd be surprised if it was. It sounds totally normal, and you're even cleaning it well.

Try heating up the saline in the microwave for 30 seconds, and don't irritate the piercing when you're cleaning - be gentle!

But bear in mind, it's going to be uncomfortable for the next few months anyway. Cartilage is like that. Hope that helped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have no idea what's in the saline solution but try just making your own soak. Cup of boiling water, about half a teaspoon of sea salt. Taste it, should not be any saltier than tears. Leave it cool a little and then stick a cotton ball in and hold it to your piercing for 5 to 10 minutes, at least once a day till the swelling goes down.

Might be the saline solution is too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sounds more irritated/inflamed than infected, but RhoDoDenDron's pointers are pretty good.

Like the others suggested though, you're better making your own saline to soak it with. Make sure you use Sea Salt, and not normal table salt or any other kind.

The bottles you get often contain other things too, which can irritate the piercing, and after you've broken the seal the first time, the bottle is no longer sterile.

[Edit]
    Just to add, Savlon probably isn't the best thing to use on it, as it's too harsh for the piercing, so could simply cause further irritation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭daheff

In my (limited) experience with piercings dont use contact lense solution...its just not right. Had a friend living with me who got belly button pierced. Gave her some of my contact lense solution thinking same thing...its saline, its sterile etc. Same problem...it got all red and sore. She stopped using the saline and just used salt water (boiled & cooled). Redness cleared up pretty quickly and all was good (apart from her craziness...but that wasnt related to her piercing! :P ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sound like its getting irritated.. Are you sleeping on it? That was the cause of mine getting red and sore.

The top piercing in my ear still can get sore if I sleep on it funny and ive had it done 2 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! I got some sea salt and heated water and it really helped. It's still quite red but definitely not as bad as before. When I clean it the cotton bud turns a pale yellow and sometimes there are crusty yellow and dried blood but hopefully it's ok . . Des anyone know how long I have to keep cleaning it for and when I can change the piercing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moofster

You might continue to clean it until it's back to a normal look, and even a bit after... maybe some ointment could help, like Polysporin. You'll be able to change the piercing when it's completely healed, i'd wait like 2-3 months or so if i was you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Don't use any ointment on it, keep going with the sea salt soaks. Keep cleaning it daily until its completely healed, about 2 or 3 months I'd say, can do it every couple of days after a while if you think its feeling well.

Can generally change lobe piercings after about 6 weeks. But sterilize the new jewelry first with boiling water, and don't keep it out too long. If you want to change out your studs sooner, go to a piercing studio and have them do it for you.

Advertisement