Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are coming to Australia, Read this!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I don’t think its as easy as where you should and should not go. It depends on what you are coming here for are you coming here on a WHV to have a great time travel the whole country over the period of two years or are you coming here with a view to getting sponsored! Are you qualified with a trade, are you a farmer or are you a post graduate, Or have you only worked in hospitality all your life. Do you want to hang around in Irish pubs and join a local GAA team? All these questions are relevant, the place is huge and the options are immense! For example the fundamentals of agglomeration would suggest that if you have a degree in finance there would be not much point of you going to an isolated town 1000’s of kilometers from any large metropolis and using the same reasoning there would be little point going to Bondi if you’re a farmer coming here looking to farm. There is something for most everyone here maybe if you give us a little background someone could tell you what may suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Annag15

I paid visa first €375 to sort visa, tfn, bank a/c. You can do it all yourself , go onto aus visa website & apply for it. Tfn you can apply once you land here. Bank account can be opened before you arrive in Australia (I'm with common wealth if that helps) . sim you can buy once you land, just make sure your phone is unlocked. I'm with telstra there good value for ringing home,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rusty Shackleford

@danotroy, ya that all makes sense, I'm being far too vague. It is my intention to arrive end of October and get farm work ASAP to get my second year. It will be a WHV, I would rather "have a great time travel the whole country over the period of two years" but will rely heavily on making money in the first 4 to 5 months of my trip. Im not a farmer nor do I have a trade. Diploma in Journalism, and Degree in Media and Communication studies [I know right, the job opportunities are just endless.... ahem.... :(] 7 years sales experience. Not particularly interested in hangin around Irish pubs, can do that at home, would rather an Aussie experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

It is my intention to arrive end of October and get farm work ASAP to get my second year. It will be a WHV, I would rather "have a great time travel the whole country over the period of two years" but will rely heavily on making money in the first 4 to 5 months of my trip. Im not a farmer nor do I have a trade. Diploma in Journalism, and Degree in Media and Communication studies [I know right, the job opportunities are just endless.... ahem.... :(] 7 years sales experience. Not particularly interested in hangin around Irish pubs, can do that at home, would rather an Aussie experience

I don’t know what style of lifestyle you plan on having here working for the first 4-5 months and holidaying for the rest of it. Its prohibitively expensive here when you are not working. Call centres pay well here, and jobs are plentiful in these places. If your planning on doing your farm work first dont come to Melbourne until at least October for your second year as the weather is not great from april-oct. If i were you id save as much money as i can buy a cmapervan when i arrive and live like a nomad for two years while here, i would love to do that but i cannot afford the luxury or travelling around like a nomad, i want to start a career for now and i am using the WHV as a vechile for this not an ideal vechile but she goes none the less!

Advertisement