Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Black Flag

Options
  • 08-05-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Firsly, I know this belongs in punk, and yes I posted it there too.

However I feel there are many on here that don't view the punk thread ( I know I dont) but given Black Flag's influence on modern Rock (esp. Gunge) I thought it would bring it to your attention.

I like it, (although I feel its missing a punchiness, maybe a crisper snare?!!?)

Doesn't look like we are on their touring route though frown.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

not bad but it definitely lacks crunch or aggression,in saying that i was never a big black flack fan,there was better bands from the era bad brains,poison idea,circle one etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's interesting that you posted it here because I find that there is more of a metal/hard rock influence in American punk compared to British punk, although I dont listen to punk much at all so there are probably British metal punk bands from that era. It's one of the reasons I prefer American punk, it's more pedal to the metal.

It's interesting that you posted it here because I find that there is more of a metal/hard rock influence in American punk compared to British punk, although I dont listen to punk much at all so there are probably British metal punk bands from that era. It's one of the reasons I prefer American punk, it's more pedal to the metal.

i prefer american punk too,especially 80's hardcore,you can see were speed and thrash metal came from.a lot of the early hardcore bands turned metal like gang green d.r.i ,j.f.a! i still laugh when i hear gang greens earlier song "sell out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

American punk was probs more fun, and fast and helped forge thrash metal which was the heaviest and only metal I cared for without verging on the ridiculous imo but i loved the orange county stuff in particular which wasnt so hardcore but the English punk was more proactive I think; particularly the crust punk era. The antipodean punk from back when is great too, and very accessible and the us/nz stuff I probably prefer overall. and by accessible I don't just mean just to listen to; pretty much all those obscurities are all on youtube now :rolleyes: I had to go the P2P route in the late 90s, and with no recommendations!

but it was Jeff Hannemans trademark guitar that got me into punk; in 1990 with DK and circle jerks and the rest and as a 13yr old I just thought that was the coolest thing and so had to learn more.

great documentary with interviews with rollins and flea from the chillis about the 80's hardcore scene that largely went unoticed in music history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=477342499003620&set=a.125439164193957.23902.124433877627819&type=1&theater

From Dave Lambardos Facebook:

This picture was taken at the Troubadour in Hollywood around 1982. Jeff was the guy that shaved his head and shared the music he was so inspired by. I enjoyed Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, Black Flag and the Germs with him. My drumming was getting faster and Jeff was writing original songs with a Punk attitude. The fusion of Heavy Metal and Punk took over Slayers early mediocre style, hence a new force was born. Thank you Jeff for your inspiring discovery of Punk rock that has continued to shape my personal drumming style.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Another one, better....

Advertisement