Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage smell?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Smells like cabbage outside today (at home in east meath, and still here in Glasnevin).

Any meteorological explanation or are last nights dinners still hanging low in the atmosphere?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very similar here! Smell of compost hanging in the air...no explanation (and no compost in the area)?

So weird, I was starting to think it was me!!!

Same in the few places in south dublin I've been this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Strange, Im in Laois/Kildare this morning and it smells here too a strange gas / cabbage smell. Must be the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I can get the same damp veggie smell here too. weird

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Can smell it in Dublin north, very strange!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Mmm cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Dublin centre is the same. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Extremely weird. I got the smell as soon as I opened the door in Fairview this morning. It hung in the air with same intensity all the way to Drumcondra where I dropped my son off at creche. What the heck is it? Seems very unusual to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Yeah got it on the Strawberry Beds as well, I think it's vegetation being hit by the mild r. I'd say a lot of it is rotting at this stage, very little growth out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Yeah got it on the Strawberry Beds as well, I think it's vegetation being hit by the mild r. I'd say a lot of it is rotting at this stage, very little growth out there.

I'm not so sure. Growth has exploded in last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yeah the daughter said it to me when out about an hour ago,have to say i didn't notice it much but she said it was like rotten eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Near Kildare town too, last night and this morning, very strong. I thought it might be coming from the chilling plant which sometimes happens if the wind is blowing in a particular direction, but the wind didn't seem to be in that direction :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Same in Waterford city and Kilkenny county.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056943582

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

chemtrails

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Maudi wrote: »
    chemtrails

What?

Funnily enough that programme about the Fire Brigade was on sunday night talking about dealing with an ammonia hydrate leak which smelt like rotten eggs in parts of the city some time ago

Strange that todays smell is so widespread, I wonder is it the French again?

*Parp* - pardonez moi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

There's a particular family of soil bacteria, that activate after rain in warm weather in temperate climes. The resulting spores are what gives that earthy odour after it rains.

(citation being researched, but it's explained in a recent "bird and moon" online comic)
    Ah, here. http://birdandmoon.com/intheair.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Offtopic:
    Maudi wrote: »
    chemtrails

Don't get started with that pseudoscience silliness :-( I've never seen as misinformed and illogical a group as those that believe in "chemtrails". Makes for amusing reading sometimes on the debunking sites when the crazies come out from under the rocks to talk for chemicals.

Sorry for the offtopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

i opened door this morning in wicklow and said whats that smell too.
    i Thought the farmers were spreading something in fields behind but wasn't overly strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Got that smell in Dublin 15 earlier today - Thought it was the neighbours brown bin was a bit ripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Popoutman wrote: »
    There's a particular family of soil bacteria, that activate after rain in warm weather in temperate climes. The resulting spores are what gives that earthy odour after it rains.

(citation being researched, but it's explained in a recent "bird and moon" online comic)
    Ah, here. http://birdandmoon.com/intheair.html[/QUOTE]

It was unusally warm last night. Up to 15C between Naas and Newbridge on the car thermometer at about midnight - I was watching the temp climb at about a degree a minute from Naas, wondering if there was a fire under the car !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Funny thread this is! Walking into college today (D15) and got this smell. It was pretty strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Popoutman wrote: »

Ah, here. http://birdandmoon.com/intheair.html

That's definitely not that odour. Earthy smell after rain is nice and refreshing - not odour of compost or rotten cabbage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Zombies.

Zombies and Chemtrails - it's the only possible explanation...

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Dandelion nectar?

Dandelion nectar has a smelly socks/cabbagey smell. Were these the warm days where possibly dandelions in their millions started to produce some nectar?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm intrigued by this thread...cause at this time of year with the onset of spring a cabbagey type smell occurs in one room in our house:confused:...its not noticeable in any other room...we've changed the carpets repainted it checked for dead rodents in the attic..but the smell keeps returning

the smell is most noticable in the morning and some days theres no smell at all:confused:

my house is a 30yr old bungalow and the smelly room is facing the front lawn facing west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Extremely weird. I got the smell as soon as I opened the door in Fairview this morning. It hung in the air with same intensity all the way to Drumcondra where I dropped my son off at creche. What the heck is it? Seems very unusual to me.

chemtrails.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I'm all for the dandelion nectar explanation......would explain all the bees with very small cups on the lash in the back garden....they've been at it all day .... worse than Temple Bar.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    I'm all for the dandelion nectar explanation......would explain all the bees with very small cups on the lash in the back garden....they've been at it all day .... worse than Temple Bar.......

Doesn't explain why the smell wasn't more widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Irish people like cabbage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apologies for resurrecting this thread,

but that boiled cabbage odour has returned with a vengeance in my area and it always this time of year:confused:

what is it??

Advertisement