Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Nuvi 1340 Sat Nav - UK, ROI & Europe - €18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

It states on the website: "Product cannot be purchased at this time."
    It also seems to be listed twice: €18 and €30

You might be lucky and find one in store

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It says ex display model, so presumably in-store only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

cool if true. Anyone know how store stocks can be checked? Has anyone tried Carrickmines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

None in Tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

called Cork and all the clearance sat navs are gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    cool if true. Anyone know how store stocks can be checked? Has anyone tried Carrickmines?

Tried Carrickmines and they say it's only in UK stores :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If its too good to be true...

This just smells of the viking €6 tvs piss take earlier in the year.

I can just see joe dealing with this on air before the week is out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd say Sat-Navs will go the way of the CD/DVD in a couple of years anyway. Google Navigation is seriously good, and for some insane reason its free. Sound Google. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

This should really be marked as expired...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Agree 100%. Nokia Maps is likewise free with outstanding global maps coverage that can be updated automatically using the phone's data connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

cson wrote: »
    I'd say Sat-Navs will go the way of the CD/DVD in a couple of years anyway. Google Navigation is seriously good, and for some insane reason its free. Sound Google. :)

The thing is you need a consistent data connection for google maps and not everybody has this plus if your down the country there's very poor 3G or even Edge signal - offline maps have this big advantage for now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The thing is you need a consistent data connection for google maps and not everybody has this plus if your down the country there's very poor 3G or even Edge signal - offline maps have this big advantage for now anyway.
    Plus the minute you go abroad, the data connection for one trip costs more than a new Sat Nav!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Plus the minute you go abroad, the data connection for one trip costs more than a new Sat Nav!!
    Yes, however one can now download Google maps covering fairly big areas (on Android at least) for offline use.

Moreover, I'm testing Open Street Maps using the 'OsmAnd' app. Again, maps can be downloaded. So far, the OSM maps & the app look pretty good though I've not tested the driving directions yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Tea 1000 wrote: »

I'm a huge fan of Nokia Maps for this reason. You can download entire countries before you travel and install them on your phone. Then when you're abroad, just turn off mobile data = no roaming data charges. The only thing you're missing out on is stuff like live traffic updates. I've used it this way on many European holidays and it's light years ahead of the fairly limited offline mapping available in Google Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

Free nav for Android, download maps and away you go. Works quite well from my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cisco92

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Nokia Maps for this reason. You can download entire countries before you travel and install them on your phone. Then when you're abroad, just turn off mobile data = no roaming data charges. The only thing you're missing out on is stuff like live traffic updates. I've used it this way on many European holidays and it's light years ahead of the fairly limited offline mapping available in Google Maps.

But when you turn off mobile data while abroad how does your phone track where you are on the map ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

cisco92 wrote: »
    But when you turn off mobile data while abroad how does your phone track where you are on the map ?

GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cisco92

GPS

Cool - i'll give it a go
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vidapura

Just my 3 cents worth..

I have a Garmin 1340 .. and I hate it.. very unintuitive menus.. and it doesn't do routes.. so yeh can't say go here, then here, then here...So, like when I'm going around Ireland and I know the exact route I want to take to avoid crap roads or whatever, yeh can't do that...
    If you are buying a garmin tis worth going to the garmin site and lookin at the specs for that model.. some of them DO support routes. You'll see routes:100 or something like that on the spec.

Of course the main place I'd want navigation help is when I'm abroad.. and with the phones.. well, we all know the data costs so .. yeah, googlemaps just doesn't cut it.. It does cache areas etc and use gps for your location.. but when you try to search for anything it needs a data connection..so you're sunk...
    In fact, I tried out googlemaps here in ireland and it lost connection a few times on the motorway.. so, nahh.. just not a runner...

Tried that Navfree too.. its route calculation is just not up to scratch.. it would have had me going in circles in various places... you get what you pay for basically...I wouldn't trust it when driving on the wrong side of the road.. I have enough to be worried about...

I have the TomTom app on my phone now.. its not cheap .. but it works very well...

But then you come up against the bummers of using nav on a phone ..
    (1) someone rings you right in the middle of a tricky manouvere.. ahh no!! I missed the turn!...
    or (2) the ould battery problem rears its ugly head.. smartphones have rubbish batteries as it is.. GPS and any other radios really mash them altogether...

Personally my recommendation is to get a dedicated satnav.. use it for what its good for and keep your phone for talkin to people .. at least until the batteries catch up....

I'm keeping an eye out for a TomTom Start 60.. they have huge screens.. are very responsive.. and can be got with lifetime maps...

NOTE, garmins version of lifetime maps is actually Advertisement supported!!
    I couldn't believe that when I read it... Ads popping up on me feckin satnav? Seriously...

Vida...

Advertisement