Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses in Data Analytics

Options
  • 08-05-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Am looking at courses in data analytics.

I know that UCD Smurfit are doing one and DIT, has anyone any exeprience of these?

Also DCU are offering one for the first time as a major in their masters in computer science.

Any advice on which might be best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hey,

Did you find any courses your interested in?

I am looking at doing the same part time in the evenings.

Finding it diffcult to get hold of a good course, I dont want to do something that's not practically focused.

I came across www.ictskills.ie which is a good idea of whats out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Problem is that only the UCD and DIT ones have been going long enough to have any feedback.

Will prob take a diploma in Statistics, either in Maynooth or TCD this year and then apply for one of the masters here or abroad. Still a growing field so will wait to see which has the net hiring record.

Where u hoping to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RogerRabid

I'm also looking at either the conversion MSc in computer science UCD or the DIT H Dip in computing as means to studying data analytics.

DIT allow you to specialize in data analytics, but UCD have some nice modules in the third semester from their advanced MSc program.. The NCI alos have a H Dip in data analytics but I couldn't find much information about it so I might pass.

I'm currently thinking maybe DIT, because they seem a little more data analytics orientated? Maybe that just the marketing though and UCD might have a better international reputation?

I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've just googled the UCD conversion course and the page seems to be under construction, where are you finding info on this course? Would also be interested in applying.

I've also applied for the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit, dunno if that would be suitable for you.

I hear the Smurfit course is more business orientated rather than computer science orientated. Ultimately, I want to be more than an end user and I'd rather learn the business side of things from experience. Really want some quantitative hard skills right now.

The UCD course is not opening this year for 100%. They are "hopeful" of opening applications this month though.

Not very satisfactory if you've applied elsewhere and have deposits to pay

• Advertisement

RogerRabid wrote: »
    I hear the Smurfit course is more business orientated rather than computer science orientated. Ultimately, I want to be more than an end user and I'd rather learn the business side of things from experience. Really want some quantitative hard skills right now.

The UCD course is not opening this year for 100%. They are "hopeful" of opening applications this month though.

Have a look at the Business Analytics modules, they're basically all quantitative in nature. What you don't seem to get is the formal teaching in a programming language, you seem to be expected to know that or figure it out yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A friend of mine did the MSc Business Analytics from a BComm background, and found it extremely challenging, despite being a hobbyist programmer. They seemed to expect a good mathematical basis (things like Linear Algebra were taken as given), and programming experience, and aim to teach the quantitative and businessy stuff. I'll try and see if I can get him to post in here, he also did UCDs conversion MSc afterward, (but before they overhauled it), so he might know something about the analytics content there.

Raphael wrote: »
    A friend of mine did the MSc Business Analytics from a BComm background, and found it extremely challenging, despite being a hobbyist programmer. They seemed to expect a good mathematical basis (things like Linear Algebra were taken as given), and programming experience, and aim to teach the quantitative and businessy stuff. I'll try and see if I can get him to post in here, he also did UCDs conversion MSc afterward, (but before they overhauled it), so he might know something about the analytics content there.

Did he find work after the course do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yes, after both courses in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Hi,

I'm the aforementioned friend. I've a B.Comm (2008) from UCD and followed that immediately with the MSc. in Business Analytics (2009) from UCD, which I found challenging but very rewarding. I was then hired as a consultant in the financial software industry.

That was followed by an MSc. in Computer Science (conversion, 2011), again in UCD (coincidence, I swear), and I was subsequently employed in the software development sector, though not as a developer. I'm something akin to a project manager/software designer. However, I did also get an offer for a developer position which I chose not to take.

Fire away with questions.

• Advertisement

Well my main thing is how employable I'd be after taking the course. I'm currently in a job but considering a change, and the course looks really interesting imo. I'm of a mechanical engineering background. But yeah the thought of quitting my job is just a bit terrifying. I know there are no guarantees but good to hear graduates of the course can find work.

Hi Evil lime,

Can I ask why you chose to follow up the Analytics course with the MSc conversion? I mean what aspects of the conversion course did you feel built upon the knowledge you already took from the business analytics course?

I'm interested in data analytics, but not so much the business side of things...

I'm hoping the Msc conversion alone would be enough to get me an entry level position as an analyst, but I expect to have to do a follow up masters...maybe in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Honestly, with the Analytics course, I took the first job I was offered, so I don't know how employable I was. In that job, I found that the times I touched on actual software design/development rather than sales and support (my actual job role) were much more enjoyable.

That's why I went on to do the CS course: I either wanted to work in software development or academia and while I mostly had the skills (I didn't learn a vast amount in the first 6 months of the course) I didn't have the bit of paper to get me to interview. After I did, I applied for three jobs, got offers for two (and final interview for all three) and picked the one I liked best. I also got to a final round interview for a PhD, but I think industry was the better choice for me.

RogerRabid wrote: »

Apparently applications are opening tomorrow or Thursday.

Dunno if evil lime will see this now but if you could pick between one of the Business Analytics or MSc computer science course, which would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I'm looking at starting into some form of postgrad in Data Analytics, but as I'm just wrapping up on a 2 year part-time M.Sc in Comp Sci I'm burnt out with all the lectures etc and cant face another 2 year slog.

Was looking at this as a quick and dirty option, does anyone have any info relating to it, apart from what I can read there myself?

http://www.ucd.ie/online/courses/course-finder/professionaldiplomaindataanalytics/

Advertisement