Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router won't connect after broadband downtime?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

edit: never mind, all good!
    To sum up, there's network here. Internet apparently went down locally on Friday evening, and the internet won't work since. It's an eircom/zykel router. It works if you manually connect just a computer to it (and not have it connected to the network), wifi also works in this case, so its not an internet problem.

There's a switch set up between the router and server/computers. When the router is connected, there's no luck pinging between the server + network, there also seems to be no luck pinging between the server/pcs :eek::eek:

I've been told absolutely nothing has changed setup wise, except for Eircom's internet going down locally on Friday evening pre-problems. Not very familar with the set up here. Any ideas on what I could do troubleshooting wise or what might be causing the problem? :(

All input is appreciated!
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Was it up for a very long time before that? Is it possible that DNS or similar changed? Can you ping an external IP from within the network? (i.e. something connected to the switch) Can you ping the router from within the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Khannie wrote: »
    Was it up for a very long time before that? Is it possible that DNS or similar changed? Can you ping an external IP from within the network? (i.e. something connected to the switch) Can you ping the router from within the network?

Possibly, not entirely sure on how long it was up!
    DNS is actually controlled by the server, forgot to mention that. I've resorted to using the Google DNS servers for the wireless access that works. No luck pinging another computer from the server (both connected to the switch), and no luck pinging the router from anything not directly connected to it.

From running Wireshark on the server, I can see there's ARP requests asking "who is 192.168.1.xx" but none of these seem to get a response. (except when I try pinging the server itself, from the server, which obviously succeeds!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm not being funny now, but have you rebooted the router today? I'm assuming this is a business environment since there's a switch involved and those zyxel routers are eh.....not business grade kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm not being funny now, but have you rebooted the router today? I'm assuming this is a business environment since there's a switch involved and those zyxel routers are eh.....not business grade kit.
    Yeah, rebooted. multiple times.

School environment, agreed those routers are messy...not the one in charge of all this stuff haha (IT guys on holidays, trying to get it running...of course everything breaks when he's gone :rolleyes: )

Any ideas at all work out better than what I've managed so far.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

was the eircom modem reset at any point?

it may have been configured to route traffic to the switch but if it was reset then those settings would have been changed back to default settings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement