Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud Back up suitable for a Joe Bloggs

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Looking for a good value secure cloud backup for a home computer(starting to get a tad nervous of hard drive life span) that has all usual personal stuff with spreadsheets that have work accounts etc. Being close to basic at this sort of stuff it would need to have automated aspect to it if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

You could start off with Skydrive, especially if all you're backing up is spreadsheets, word docs, some photos etc.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/skydrive/download

You can logon with your Hotmail / Microsoft account and get 7GB for free.

The Windows software will create a Skydrive folder on your PC and everything you put in here will automatically sync up. You can put, for example, Photos, Documents and Work folders into the Skydrive folder. Right click on a folder and select "Include in a Library" and it means that in future when you save a photo or what have you then it'll automatically save to the appropriate folder.

You also get a Skydrive app for your phone so you can access your documents when you're out. Security by default is Private for everything, but it's easy enough to share a file or folder publically or with specific users.

In fairness it works really well and is idiot proof. I set it up about 6 months ago for backing up photos and documents and I've never had to troubleshoot or configure anything since day 1. I've about 12GB of stuff on there now (I get 24GB for free because I'm an old Hotmail user) and it's pretty reassuring knowing that even if the house burns down 8+ years of photos and videos are safe on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

100GB Backup space with Zoolz

You can't go wrong. Can You???????

https://www.zoolz.com/Zoolz_Home

If you are paranoid about storing files off site you will need to get a NAS with RAID, you are looking at between 200 and 300 Euro one off payment, if thats within budget I will recommend some drives / enclosures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

A NAS doesn't get files offsite though, which should be a requirement to cover for fire, theft, etc; even if only for a subset of important files. If there's a concern about security, a cloud service with client-side encryption is the way to go -- SpiderOak is a good example here.

For the truly paranoid a self-hosted setup like OwnCloud would be the way to go, although you'd need to roll your own encryption; the OP would probably need to contract someone to set this up for them.

Advertisement