Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering investing in a mobile catering van

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

Is there any advice anyone can give?

I'm considering the possibility of doing it next Summer. I have no background in the business. Where should I start my research?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The most difficult thing will be finding places to trade. You need what's called a casual trading license, and there are long queues for any public spots, and then it'd be a similar situation for any private events.

I read on this forum as well that your competition wouldn't be the most friendly people in the world either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 benbrown

Well if you want any advice from an experienced mobile catering trader I will give you my tuppence worth. This is something that needs to have large volumes of people in a space that need feeding. Hard to come by in Ireland. And if you do have venues like this then you will pay big money for a licence to trade in that space without any guarantee of sales or large turnover.

To give you an idea of what it will entail. Championship time May to September in Croke Park. Find a spot to park your trailer. Arrive at around 7.00 a.m. and work until 6.00 p.m. You might be lucky to clear €80 for a days work after your expenses. These type of business ventures tend to work well around the countryside in towns and villages where there are no late night take-aways. In saying that you will find that any decent towns and villages will have a well established trader already who will guard his patch like a Lion guards his territory. Can get messy if you try to move in on people.

Concerts, outdoor festivals etc all expect big money for a spot on the festival site. As I said earlier with no guarantee to you the vendor getting a turnover never mind a profit. All payments are upfront.

Then you have the Health and Safety people to deal with. One burger is not up to regulation temperature in your trailer or one bag of chips are not frozen at the right temperature they have the right to confiscate the lot. And they can even shut you down on the spot.

All in all a bit of a nightmare. I think that you would be as well to maybe set up at home and advertise to local factories and businesses that you can deliver sandwiches, lunches etc. You might just make a bit more with less hassle. Good Luck Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the thread and let ye know how I'm getting on if I go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hi magma, would be interested to know if you got any further with this........ would love to try something similar. Thanks.

Advertisement