Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Projects are you working on or planning?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I would love to see what project people are working on or planning for the near future! Whether its new pick-ups in guitars or making a new bass!

Over the weekend i was doing some work on an old Harley Benton bass throwing in a new pick-up mainly to see if i could actually wire something successfully and i found out i could! ( ill through pics up tomorrow)! This inspired me and the next morning i woke up and decided i was going to build a one stringed guitar! then last minute i made it 2-stringed! The bad part about it all was that i rushed it because i had to be back in Dublin that day,but it could have turned out worst. If if i get more time off ill probably make one with more detail and love and stuff...

Last night i wired the pick-ups to it and got some sound which made me happy :) but if i have have time later ill change around the pick ups!

All i had was scrap timber, a drill, a sander, a hand plane, and spare parts from an old crappy Encore guitar! Anyway here are some pics of the diddley bow!

image6_zpsb75c4d56.jpeg
    image3_zpsea40ba8d.jpeg
    image_zpsc8c1c279.jpeg
    image4_zps447eac00.jpeg
    photo_zps8e196fb6.jpg
    image2_zps83f1d645.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That looks seasick-tastic

I have nothing planned, but I would love to get a massive chunk of heavy wood, such as a solid dinner table, and put bass strings and pickup on it, just to see what kind of tone you would get. My reason for this is my very first bass (a crappy Hohner j-bass) had a half-decent tone, but whenever I struck a string while it was resting against my wooden chest of drawers, it sounded massive

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

I have nothing planned, but I would love to get a massive chunk of heavy wood, such as a solid dinner table, and put bass strings and pickup on it, just to see what kind of tone you would get. My reason for this is my very first bass (a crappy Hohner j-bass) had a half-decent tone, but whenever I struck a string while it was resting against my wooden chest of drawers, it sounded massive

I know exactly what you mean! i was playing that two string thing on the table its resting on in the picture there and it sounds amazing! You should just buy a table and put a guitar into it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Isn't that just a piano then!

Gaspode wrote: »
    Isn't that just a piano then!

Ahh only if it has keys

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

I have nothing planned, but I would love to get a massive chunk of heavy wood, such as a solid dinner table, and put bass strings and pickup on it

i cant wait until my missus comes in, finds a stingray neck bolted to our solid oak dining table, and the whole shebang being played through a trace elliott at serious volume.
    let the divorce proceedings commence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you'll do your back in trying to loft a solid oak table on a strap

As the young folk would say... LOL!

I really want to see this now! I was thinking about putting a rickenbacker pickups in a mustang bass but this table idea sounds like a good'n!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I was here thinking about swapping out the pups on a guitar and adding a couple of pots here and there and I've been completely out done by aspirations of slapping strings onto oak tables.

Fcuk it, I'll pop the P-Rails onto the garden shed and see what happens when I plug it in!!!

KeithTS wrote: »
    I was here thinking about swapping out the pups on a guitar and adding a couple of pots here and there and I've been completely out done by aspirations of slapping strings onto oak tables.

Fcuk it, I'll pop the P-Rails onto the garden shed and see what happens when I plug it in!!!

Hahaha! Not trying to out do anyone! i just really wanna hear peoples ideas! but i want to see this crazy table guitar business now! imagine that in the window of music maker or waltons

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I have 2 quite old solid mahogany bar table tops that eventually will become a few guitars
    nothing wrong with an old table for wood !

You cuold also go down the gift box route
    My son, with a little help built this as a school project
    Bottle of JD was polished off by me of course !

8728753890_7bddee21eb_c.jpg

• Advertisement

I have 2 quite old solid mahogany bar table tops that eventually will become a few guitars
    nothing wrong with an old table for wood !

You cuold also go down the gift box route
    My son, with a little help built this as a school project
    Bottle of JD was polished off by me of course !

8728753890_7bddee21eb_c.jpg

that JD guitar looks class man! i wish i could makes guitars and stuff dor a living! This **** makes happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I picked up this Variax 700 cheap in a Musicmaker sale round two years ago:

variax.jpg

I love how it sounds but I hate everything else about it. I'm currently on the planning stages of transplanting the electronics from this into a Strat, just looking for a suitable body on Ebay.

3wayswitch wrote: »
    I picked up this Variax 700 cheap in a Musicmaker sale round two years ago:

variax.jpg

I love how it sounds but I hate everything else about it. I'm currently on the planning stages of transplanting the electronics from this into a Strat, just looking for a suitable body on Ebay.

really looking forward to seeing that! when you get it done id love to see a video! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

SamBrugha wrote: »
    really looking forward to seeing that! when you get it done id love to see a video! :D

It's going to be a while yet :p Just bought a router so I need to learn how to use it before routing out a body for the electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

so I mentioned this thread to the missus, she thinks the "Dining Bass" is a cracking idea in theory, just not for our dining table though. if I can source a freebie table deep enough to accommodate a neck, i'll be doing this. I also have a cheapie strat neck that may make its way on there as well.... i'll keep ye posted

so I mentioned this thread to the missus, she thinks the "Dining Bass" is a cracking idea in theory, just not for our dining table though. if I can source a freebie table deep enough to accommodate a neck, i'll be doing this. I also have a cheapie strat neck that may make its way on there as well.... i'll keep ye posted

Just for the record, you're mad!
    Keep us posted, I look forward to seeing it played live one day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

3wayswitch wrote: »

I actually think it looks great!

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I actually think it looks great!

I really like those guitars aswell but they scare me for some reason! :/ there's a shop on ebay called the stratosphere and they sell all sorts of bodies and parts mainly for fenders but they have others too.

Can't wait to see the table! Check out adverts or done deal!

I've been playing the diddly bow I made might have a video up in a few days! I want to make a bass version now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rbanks1000

If your interested in getting a guitar/bass body thats a little different and guaranteed Irish, you could check out www.facebook.com/callanguitars . They are mostly Acrylic and can custom make any shape pretty much :)

rbanks1000 wrote: »
    If your interested in getting a guitar/bass body thats a little different and guaranteed Irish, you could check out www.facebook.com/callanguitars . They are mostly Acrylic and can custom make any shape pretty much :)

I used to have an acrylic strat! it was a heavy mofo! one down side :/

• Advertisement

I'd love an acrylic guitar.
    Ever since Dave Grohl started with the Dan Armstrong I've been fascinated with them. His was particularly cool mind.

On a side note I'm designing a series of treble/bass boosters and on board OD/distortion circuits.

The idea is to have a small module which could be connected directly to the guitar input and will clip onto a strap or something (haven't really thought out the details of that), the output of this will be sent to the pedal board or whatever from there. Looking at doing that wirelessly but that's a project for a later date.

Does anybody have any input on this kind of thing. I have the circuits designed and all that its more input regarding what you could see being actually useful. Would something like this have a purpose other than being a cool little thing to build?

KeithTS wrote: »
    I'd love an acrylic guitar.
    Ever since Dave Grohl started with the Dan Armstrong I've been fascinated with them. His was particularly cool mind.

On a side note I'm designing a series of treble/bass boosters and on board OD/distortion circuits.

The idea is to have a small module which could be connected directly to the guitar input and will clip onto a strap or something (haven't really thought out the details of that), the output of this will be sent to the pedal board or whatever from there. Looking at doing that wirelessly but that's a project for a later date.

Does anybody have any input on this kind of thing. I have the circuits designed and all that its more input regarding what you could see being actually useful. Would something like this have a purpose other than being a cool little thing to build?

Wesley guitars used to make acrylic models! the electronics were bleh but the build was always nice! Pity he only does repairs now a'days! i have no idea about circuits though :(

SamBrugha wrote: »
    Wesley guitars used to make acrylic models! the electronics were bleh but the build was always nice! Pity he only does repairs now a'days! i have no idea about circuits though :(

Yeah I noticed a while ago on his site he wasn't making new models, shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have a 5-string Wesley bass. The tone was good for the price but I was never a fan of the build. It was so heavy it gave me shoulder pains and the nut was pretty big and sharp, making dropping down to the first fret a sometimes painful experience

I have a 5-string Wesley bass. The tone was good for the price but I was never a fan of the build. It was so heavy it gave me shoulder pains and the nut was pretty big and sharp, making dropping down to the first fret a sometimes painful experience

So heavy it digs into your shoulder! Heavy b***ards! i could never played my acrylic strat for too long standing up! was a sit down job!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Just putting the finishing touches to this one
    Its a Nick Greer Sucker Punch ( high gain Marshall Lead) housed with an EP Booster

8757793372_b05154b3bb_c.jpg

8756667981_33ee48c2ff_c.jpg

Made this one to bring on holidays

This is a 1 watt Noisy Cricket (amp in a coffee can)
    Have a little speaker that fits into the can not in the pic

The bike headlight works when on

8756666613_95e57467c1_c.jpg

8757793986_67b45041f6_c.jpg

8757793790_44193cefe8_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

More quality stuff from wild turkey!

I really need to learn how to solder etc.

Some class looking stuff there, tidy up your wiring for god's sake, it makes it impossible for us to try and steal your designs!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

My latest custom build. Three fuzzes in one.

8764775306_6e1759431e_z.jpg

8764785558_5ecf1f019a_z.jpg

and something else I'm working on:

8764763784_75f7c25c5c_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Just putting the finishing touches to this one
    Its a Nick Greer Sucker Punch ( high gain Marshall Lead) housed with an EP Booster

8757793372_b05154b3bb_c.jpg

8756667981_33ee48c2ff_c.jpg

Made this one to bring on holidays

This is a 1 watt Noisy Cricket (amp in a coffee can)
    Have a little speaker that fits into the can not in the pic

The bike headlight works when on

8756666613_95e57467c1_c.jpg

8757793986_67b45041f6_c.jpg

8757793790_44193cefe8_c.jpg

What changes did you make to the EP Booster?

Advertisement