Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhaunis Friary Burial Ground information

• 08-05-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

As students with Mayo VEC, for a work experience project we decided to catalogue the details of grave/headstones of those laid to rest in The Abbey Friary, Abbey Street, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo.

Since February 2013, we have been building on existing records with a view to making an online archive available.

When the project is finalised, we intend to make our date (a register of details from gravestones) available on the following website:

www.friaryburialgroundballyhaunis.yolasite.com

Any queries post below or go to contact details on website.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is the site for information purposes only or will it generate money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mrs Gee

This site is for information purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

This is a good idea.

Many graveyards are chaotic.

Kilmeena have mapped their graveyard and have a very helpful display at the entrance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

nuac wrote: »
    Kilmeena have mapped their graveyard and have a very helpful display at the entrance

How is this done? Using a computer and then a print out? Can it be accessed online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Lots of graveyards have been photographed and indexed on this site. Was a huge undertaking.

http://goldenlangan.com/graves-le.html

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    How is this done? Using a computer and then a print out? Can it be accessed online?

In Kilmeena the graves are all listed an index. The family names are listed on a display board.

I don't know whether it is online

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NellieMaggie

Is anyone still monitoring this Board site. I found a record for a Kate Fitzmaurice's grave in Ballyhaunis, County Mayo, Ireland. I am looking for an ancestor by that name. The record is in Ballyhaunis Friary Burial Ground but the record does not have a birth or death date. The Kate Fitzmaurice I am looking for was born in Limerick Ireland in 1794 but I have no idea of when she died. Can anyone help with more details. I live in Australia so I can't take a quick drive up and look for myself.

Cheers

NM

Fitzmaurice is more a Kerry name rather than a Mayo name, but there are or were a few of that name about

I don't know the details re the Ballyhaunis project.

There is a Family History Resource office in Ballinrobe which has a lot of births deaths and marriages data online.

I can't recall the exact name of that office at the mom, but may be able to post it later

Re my post yesterday re family details in Ballyhaunis there is an office in Ballinrobe providing genealogical information

Try

South Mayo Family Resource Centre
    Ballinrobe

sou.mayo@iol.ie

www mayo.irishroots.net

Advertisement