Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear Door replacement 00 Micra GX

Options
  • 08-05-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I am looking to replace a left rear door on a 00 Black Micra GX.

I went to the breakers in Kilcock but they didn,t have the colour.

Any suggestions re: other breakers to try in Dublin (West) / Kildare area.

Also wondering if I got a different coloured door, what would be the best spray paint to use and would it be better to paint it first and then fit ?

Any advice or re direction to previous relevant threads would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try www.partfinder.ie / www.findapart.ie / traynors.co.uk for breakers.
    One of them should have a black Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Thanks Biko

Sourced the door from Duffy Car Parts on Long Mile Road.

Still have some wheelarch damage that I am hoping to repair cheaply. It will need some body work straightening, sanding back, filling, priming and top coat.

I have seen some clips on YouTube which describe the process steps but they seem to be mainly using American products. Can anyone recommend a good idiots guide to making a small repair as described which includes details about the materials and tools needed.

Also interested in recommendation for where I could do most of the prep work myself and have someone do the spray painting and finishing.

Any suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you post a few snaps? That way it's easier to determine how big a job we're talking about here.

I will get a few photo's later.

In the meantime has any one got a Nissan Micra Haynes Owner's Manual 1993 -2002 surplus to requirements ?

See pictures attached.

Plan is replace the door.
    Sand back wheel arch and straighten as best as possible
    Apply Filler - Isopan P38 (is this the best to use ?)
    Sand with wet & dry 80g then 200g
    Tape up area
    Degrease and apply grey primer
    Apply Halfords Nissan black - Kuro KT3
    Wax and Polish

I have painted bike frames before but never a car panel. So anytips most are welcome.

In particular

What is the easiest filler to work with
    Would one application do and how long should I allow it to dry before sanding?
    What grades of sand paper will I work best ?
    How many coats of primer and how long must I allow it to dry ?
    How many coats of top paint and how long must I allow it to dry ?
    Will I need to apply a sealer / lacquer/clear coat, if so what brand ?

• Advertisement

Replaced the door so it now looks better, Not too sure of the best approach with the wheel arch damage. It has a kink at around the 12 oclock position which would need a fair bit of force to get out and where the rust is visable between the door and the wheel arch it has been flattened in a bit.

Could I get away with just to sand back and apply filler to effect the repair ?
    What is the best way to match the paint willl the Halfords spray do a reasonable job or not ?

What would a professionally done repair cost ?

Any comments would be welcome !

Jayus lads it's very hard to get a bit of advice on here !

Of the eight posts on this thread I posted 6 myself and one other member posted two questions, there were no comments for the other 250 odd viewers !

Advertisement