Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing from modules due to extenuating circumstances

Options
  • 08-05-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys, for the past few months I've been suffering from a severe bout of crippling depression and anxiety that has left me unable to attend college or do assignments, and I also wasn't well enough to sit all of my exams.
    I'm in the process of filling out an extenuating circumstances form and I have the letter from my doctor but I'm not sure what options to tick. I was wondering does anyone know if it's possible to choose a wx grade for four of my modules and still continue on to second year? Since there is four semesters left in my course could I just do an extra module each year to make up the credits that I've missed? And if I do get granted an wx grade does that mean I won't encounter any academic or financial penalties?

Any advice or replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

xRosiiex wrote: »
    Hi guys, for the past few months I've been suffering from a severe bout of crippling depression and anxiety that has left me unable to attend college or do assignments, and I also wasn't well enough to sit all of my exams.
    I'm in the process of filling out an extenuating circumstances form and I have the letter from my doctor but I'm not sure what options to tick. I was wondering does anyone know if it's possible to choose a wx grade for four of my modules and still continue on to second year? Since there is four semesters left in my course could I just do an extra module each year to make up the credits that I've missed? And if I do get granted an wx grade does that mean I won't encounter any academic or financial penalties?

Any advice or replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, a WX means you would withdraw from those modules and do them again in full without facing any penalties. You should be able to do an extra module a semester to make up for it, but bear in mind that 7 modules is a really heavy workload.
    You should talk to the student advisor in your school about this. An IX grade would allow you to make up assessment in the subject at a later date, usually in the form of a essay, though also possibly an exam (again, with no academic or financial penalties). Though if you have missed a lot of class and don't think you could complete an assessment because of a lack of knowledge, I would advise you to go with the WX grade.
    The best thing to do is apply for extenuating circumstances and wait to see what happens. Then use the summer to focus on getting well. You'll know yourself if you'll be able for the increased workload. There's no point in putting all that stress on yourself if you can't handle it, though. You may need to space things out to allow yourself to give it your best shot. The worst thing that could happen is that you will have to complete an extra semester/year, which in the grand scheme of life isn't too horrific.

Advertisement