Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

enlarging a logo

• 08-05-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to make our office logo bigger and nicer!

As far as I can tell I need to get it up to around 12 inches while being crisp enough to print.
    I have a .PNG around 16kb 266x129px.

Any suggestions as to how to do this? or can you point me to a resource to show me how?

The image is a basic line drawing and some text, I can recreate the text on a larger pc, but the line drawing will need to be scaled up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

You can try Vector Magic to make a vector graphic version that can be scaled up to virtually any size.

I'm not 100% sure how well the free online one works or what they'll let you export to, or what file type you need, but you could be done in 5 minutes.

The live trace tool in illustrator can do a good job, but you'd need to be familiar with it to get good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I don't find live trace works very well, that vector magic thing is awesome, and in future when picking a designer make sure you pick someone who knows to design it larger in order to be able to scale it up and down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

MC_G wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure how well the free online one works or what they'll let you export to, or what file type you need, but you could be done in 5 minutes.
    Thanks it worked fine, the free online version removed the transparency and made the text a bit blocky, but I could redo the font. The line image work well enough.
    I don't find live trace works very well, that vector magic thing is awesome, and in future when picking a designer make sure you pick someone who knows to design it larger in order to be able to scale it up and down :)

It wasnt me who picked either the logo or the designer, but thanks for the lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We're in Ireland, "..well I wouldn't start from here..." is to be expected. :D

BostonB wrote: »
    We're in Ireland, "..well I wouldn't start from here..." is to be expected. :D

http://imgur.com/gallery/XS5LK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I find vector magic to be much better than the live trace tool. You might be able to get the same results with live trace, but vector magic is so easy to use

Thanks it worked fine, the free online version removed the transparency and made the text a bit blocky, but I could redo the font. The line image work well enough.

It wasnt me who picked either the logo or the designer, but thanks for the lecture.

I wasn't trying to lecture you i'm just saying if a designer makes that kind of rookie mistake then i'd seriously consider not using them again.

I wasn't trying to lecture you i'm just saying if a designer makes that kind of rookie mistake then i'd seriously consider not using them again.

Again, unrequested advice that has nothing to do with me or the situation.
    who said we even used a designer. maybe we stole the logo from the internet.
    maybe the designer we paid did make a logo, but a thief stole the drive it was saved on. maybe our company is 60 years old and this is the first time we have digitized the logo.

Thanks for the tips tho

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's no need for sniping folks, thanks.

Again, unrequested advice that has nothing to do with me or the situation.
    who said we even used a designer. maybe we stole the logo from the internet.
    maybe the designer we paid did make a logo, but a thief stole the drive it was saved on. maybe our company is 60 years old and this is the first time we have digitized the logo.

Thanks for the tips tho

1. If you paid a designer to steal a logo from the internet you got ripped off also refer to part 2 and the wee bit about copyright.

2. If you stole the logo from the internet you're infringing on the logo designers copyright meaning your company can be done for stealing a logo and not paying for rights to use it.

3. Always back content up on multiple drives ensures you don't lose it.

4. If its the first time you've digitized a logo get a designer to come in and make a vector drawing of it to ensure that you can have it at all sizes that you may need it for.

As I said I wasn't having a go so I would really appreciate it if you dropped the attitude all I said was that your designer should of made it large in the first place.

When Designing a pixel based graphic its been my experience to create them at a large size, this way you can shrink them down as needed and avoid pixelation, vector based doesn't matter as much as you can resize them because its based on points and lines and equations to make them smother.

• Advertisement

1. If you paid a designer to steal a logo from the internet you got ripped off also refer to part 2 and the wee bit about copyright.

2. If you stole the logo from the internet you're infringing on the logo designers copyright meaning your company can be done for stealing a logo and not paying for rights to use it.

3. Always back content up on multiple drives ensures you don't lose it.

4. If its the first time you've digitized a logo get a designer to come in and make a vector drawing of it to ensure that you can have it at all sizes that you may need it for.

As I said I wasn't having a go so I would really appreciate it if you dropped the attitude all I said was that your designer should of made it large in the first place.

When Designing a pixel based graphic its been my experience to create them at a large size, this way you can shrink them down as needed and avoid pixelation, vector based doesn't matter as much as you can resize them because its based on points and lines and equations to make them smother.

You're not getting this are you brains.

I didn't pay a designer. I didn't hire a designer. I didn't create the logo. I didn't source the logo. I didn't ask the best policy of finding designers. I didn't ask the best method of creating logos.
    Was given a specific problem.i asked for help to find a specific solution. Those who have the reading comprehension skills to divine the request did so perfectly and ive learned new techniques because of their help.
    Your advice was unrequested, condescending, unneeded and unheeded.
    As I pointed out there could be a million reasons why we didnt have the original vector. Maybe my boss was testing me, or a gas explosion destroyed our office. Either way unsolicited advice is rarely required.
    Dont assume that you can solve non existent problems to stoke your ego. You havent helped in the slightest. Youve simply pointed out irrelevant facts. thank you captain hindsight

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Guys, any more of this and you'll both be talking a holiday

Advertisement