Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving the touch site speed

Options
  • 08-05-2013 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

So we've made some changes to our live environments a few minutes ago that should produce speed increases in the touch site while reducing load on our servers.

This change has been tested in the development environment for a few weeks now but there's always the chance something might have gone a little quirky. If you notice any strange issues that weren't present yesterday/this morning then drop them in here and we'll see if they are related.

In the mean time, enjoy the speed increases and happy browsing :)

Danny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a new feature or what, but every time I go to "my threads" on the touch site, there are two large buttons at the top of the thread list saying "Start a discussion" and "Ask a question". If this is new, do we have the option to remove them as they're quite bulky! I've attached a screen shot just in case. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hi IBC,

They're a new addition and mimic the same feature that logged out users get (except they get the Sign Up/Log in buttons). There's no way to disable them I'm afraid but they're nothing to do with the speed updates we made.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ok, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What's the difference between the two? They seem similar except for one is 'start a discussion' other is 'ask a question' do they both not have the same end goal in that it starts a thread?

I think it's quite silly tbh when the silver button with the pencil in the top right does the exact same thing.

Honestly feels like you're catering more for the stupid user case - which is a small percentage of boards users - and that's a slap in the face to people who've used the touch site since inception.

Not a dig at you guys personally though, we can still be friends, right? :pac:

*EDIT* Just to add, the speed improvements are totally noticeable and lead to a much better mobile browsing experience {{FTW!}}

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement