Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnetic door contact

Options
  • 08-05-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,
    First time post.
    I have installed a Hkc 10-70 alarm panel in my house and need advice.

A magnetic door contact I have installed keeps going into tamper fault when I open my door. The alarm is not set and when the door opens it just says tamper fault. When the house is armed and I open the door the alarm sounds. I have replaced the contact to see if it was faulty but it still comes up as a fault. There is a six core cable at the door, and two cores (red + black) are connected into the silver terminals on the contact.There are three brass terminals also on the contact,where I have twisted blue and yellow together and tightened one of these brass terminals on them.
    At the board I have connected the two cables (red + black) into the zone 8 terminals and blue and yellow into the tamper on zone 8 also.I have used a meter to check there are no crossed wires. Think I may be missing something simple but need advice all the same.
    Could someone help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi guys,
    First time post.
    I have installed a Hkc 10-70 alarm panel in my house and need advice.

A magnetic door contact I have installed keeps going into tamper fault when I open my door. The alarm is not set and when the door opens it just says tamper fault. When the house is armed and I open the door the alarm sounds. I have replaced the contact to see if it was faulty but it still comes up as a fault. There is a six core cable at the door, and two cores (red + black) are connected into the silver terminals on the contact.There are three brass terminals also on the contact,where I have twisted blue and yellow together and tightened one of these brass terminals on them.
    At the board I have connected the two cables (red + black) into the zone 8 terminals and blue and yellow into the tamper on zone 8 also.I have used a meter to check there are no crossed wires. Think I may be missing something simple but need advice all the same.
    Could someone help please?

Can you check what the zone hardware is set to in the zone menu.
    If your not using resistors then it will should be set up as non end of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Big warrior

Altor,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I checked to make sure and yes the zone is set up as non eol. Only resistor used is in the external bell.
    Anything else that may help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks .

Altor,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I checked to make sure and yes the zone is set up as non eol. Only resistor used is in the external bell.
    Anything else that may help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks .

Can you disconnect the tamper in the control panel and put the loop back in and test the sensor then. Sounds line an issue with a crossed cable.

Altor, Still the same! Done as you said with loop. Tried all cables with multimeter and as far as I can see there are no crossed cables. Can you get n/o and n/c contacts? Just wondering could it be that. Not an expert just thinking out loud.
    Thanks.

Altor, Still the same! Done as you said with loop. Tried all cables with multimeter and as far as I can see there are no crossed cables. Can you get n/o and n/c contacts? Just wondering could it be that. Not an expert just thinking out loud.
    Thanks.

The contact you have described sounds like the older type. Reed on silver terminals. Do you know the make?
    Can you connect both the tamper and alarm back up in the control panel. Then test the cables with the contact removed just joining and opening the cables.
    Do this using open inputs and tampers in the engineer tools menu.

• Advertisement

Altor, make is Maxhunt. I'll get to trying your suggestion tomorrow, and let you know. Little kids are light sleepers here. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Altor, make is Maxhunt. I'll get to trying your suggestion tomorrow, and let you know. Little kids are light sleepers here. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Like this?
    http://maxhunt.com/store/#!/~/product/category=4233468&id=19833957

Can you also just use your meter on continuity and test against the magnet.
    It should ring when the reed is placed against the magnet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    Like this?
    http://maxhunt.com/store/#!/~/product/category=4233468&id=19833957

Can you also just use your meter on continuity and test against the magnet.
    It should ring when the reed is placed against the magnet.

Is the alarm zone wired directly to the silver pair on that contact?
    And is the tamper pair closed off in the panel?
    Now it you meter out that pair on a multi meter when the door is closed it should read no more than a couple of ohms. When you open the door the loop should read open.
    If that's the case opening the door should not register a tamper.Is there anything else on the same cable.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pintszab

Hi Folks, i installed a vaxhunt door conact. (B001E 4-Core Micro Encapsulated Op-gap 19mm Length 30mm x Height 13mm x Width 12mm). Wired to be dual end of line contact using 2 resistors and set the same in zone hardware. Walk test passed, no issues. However when i set the alarm and open the door, the sounder does not go off but it starts beeping at the keypad. Also i can set the alarm while the door is being open. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is that door used for entering and leaving the House?

If so, that is supposed to happen, the zone is set as an entry/ exit type.

• Advertisement

Pintszab wrote: »
    Hi Folks, i installed a vaxhunt door conact. (B001E 4-Core Micro Encapsulated Op-gap 19mm Length 30mm x Height 13mm x Width 12mm). Wired to be dual end of line contact using 2 resistors and set the same in zone hardware. Walk test passed, no issues. However when i set the alarm and open the door, the sounder does not go off but it starts beeping at the keypad. Also i can set the alarm while the door is being open. Any thoughts?

If its an entry zone, the beeps are used to indicate the entry/exit.
    When you walk test, look at the keypad, what is opening, tamper or the zone?

Yes this door is the main door to enter to and exit from the house. When the door is closed the walk test indicates: ok. If i open the door the walk test indicates:open. The problem is that When i set the alarm in normal mode it sets ok but when i open the door it does not trigger the sounder.

Yes this door is the main door to enter to and exit from the house. When the door is closed the walk test indicates: ok. If i open the door the walk test indicates:open. The problem is that When i set the alarm in normal mode it sets ok but when i open the door it does not trigger the sounder.

When you say it wont trigger the sounder, its an entry point.
    It will activate the keypad beeps as this is how it works or is this whats happening?

And instead the keypad starts beeping

That is how it works.
    Its an entry point to allow you time to disarm your alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Pintszab wrote:

Do you want the alarm to activate fully so every time it is armed and when someone enters the house through this door?

Yes this is what's happening, the keypad starts beeping. Actually, i let it beep for a while and a minute later the sounder went off. So i guess this is normal?

Yes this is what's happening, the keypad starts beeping. Actually, i let it beep for a while and a minute later the sounder went off. So i guess this is normal?

Yes its meant to work that way.

No i do not want to set this door up to activate fully as this is the main door.

Ok, i see, actually now, after thinking about it again it makes Sense absolutely.
    So then the system works fine.
    I suppose the time delay to disarm the system can be shortened in the settings?

• Advertisement

Ok, i see, actually now, after thinking about it again it makes Sense absolutely.
    So then the system works fine.
    I suppose the time delay to disarm the system can be shortened in the settings?

Yes, system timers/entry time/exit time.

Cool, i'll change thAt later. As usual, thanks a lot folks for your help!

Cool, i'll change thAt later. As usual, thanks a lot folks for your help!

You're welcome.
    Any other problems you know where we are :)

Advertisement