Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term insurance

Options
  • 08-05-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Is there any way to get short term insurance for work? I got offered a job over the summer months but only if I get insurance myself. Will I get cover for a few months or what sort of policy do I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Call some insurance companies maybe???

It would depend on way to many factors for anyone here to advise you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

All depends on what type of policy you've been asked to get. What type of work is it & what sort of insurance are you being asked to get for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

AL93 wrote: »
    Is there any way to get short term insurance for work? I got offered a job over the summer months but only if I get insurance myself. Will I get cover for a few months or what sort of policy do I need.

I've come across this before. They are probably asking you to take out some form of personal accident policy in the mistaken belief that it will relieve them of their responsibility as your employer. In the event of an injury, they think they can direct you to claim under your own policy, even if the accident was down to a breech of care that they owe you.

Many small businesses are going without insurance or insisting all subcontractors (rightly) carry their own Liability policy. However, if you are a direct employee, you won't be able to take out a policy that will assume their responsibility to you, or your responsibility to others while you are in their employment.

Short story is that they are trying to take you in as a Bone Fide Subcontractor, where the correct status is as Employee. Talk to a Broker, they may have been able to find a solution to similar requests in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You can just take out an annual policy and then cancel it when you are finished working.For most small public liability policies you can get them for a couple of hundred quid.

Best bet would be to ring one of the larger broker like Arachas or First Ireland and they should be able to source something to sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Necronos wrote: »
    You can just take out an annual policy and then cancel it when you are finished working.For most small public liability policies you can get them for a couple of hundred quid.

Best bet would be to ring one of the larger broker like Arachas or First Ireland and they should be able to source something to sort you out.
    But the problem is that a Public Liability policy only covers YOUR business, not your employers activities, nor will it offer cover to yourself if you get injured. It boils down to your status, are you going in as an independent contractor or under the direction and control of an employer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Necronos wrote: »

Would also be worth checking whether the PL policy is on a minimum and deposit basis, as it is likely to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hang on are will you be an employee or a self employed contractor.

If you are an employee then the insurance isn't your concern,

If a contractor do you meet the criteria to be one? If so then fbd can sort you out

There is case law which defines the difference, I've seen people being told that they are contractors when clearly they are employees?
    Will you be getting a payslip with tax deducted, will they provide a uniform, can you earn more money, do you have to work certain hours? Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You could be a labour only sub contractor (no personal insurance needed) or a bona fide sub contractor (own insurance needed).

I guess it comes down to the type of business that the OP's employer is involved in.

Advertisement