Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accomodation

Options
  • 08-05-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Was planning to stay in Cork but if it all goes against me, I have UCD as a back up. I have questions and I can't seem to understand the way UCD Accommodation works tbh.

1. My name is on waitlist. What now? There's 600 odd places and I'm number 2,000 and something!
    2. Is it an apartment situation? If so, do they put you with people on your course? I want to study General Nursing.
    3. I am 21 and don't want to be roomed with a gang of 18 year olds. More 20-22. How could I assert that when being roomed?
    4. Would prefer a double bed with ensuite or ensuite room. Are those options available?

Please help. Website not clear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Every CAO student in the country can put their name down on that list, whether they get into UCD or not is another thing. So generally if you are <2500 you are fine.
    Some residences are apartments and some are dorm style.
    You will be looking at Glenomina or Roebuck Halls, as both are en suite. Dont know if they have double beds however.

Taken from website:

"How do you decide who lives together?
    Rooms are booked by students themselves on the live booking system via the SIS web. Each apartment will generally have a mix of students living together. We will endeavor to give you basic information on the profile of students already booked into an apartment (e.g. first year, second year, postgraduate, male, female)"

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

I was further down on the waitlist than that last year and had no problem getting a room at all...also i have been told that when booking into an apartment that you can see a basic profile (gender, age etc) of who has already booked into it but i couldnt find this last year

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

DaisyFay wrote: »
    I was further down on the waitlist than that last year and had no problem getting a room at all...also i have been told that when booking into an apartment that you can see a basic profile (gender, age etc) of who has already booked into it but i couldnt find this last year

You need to hover over the location of the apartment on the SIS Web booking page, for example "Glenomena House 1, Apartment 1, Room 1". Move over this and a little text box appears with the gender (male/female) and student type(undergrad/postgrad).

You said in your earlier post that it would be preferable to you not to be living with the younger students (around 18 years of age). In that instance you would be better off avoiding Merville or Belgrove residences, which both typically have a high proportion of younger undergraduates residing. You would have a higher chance of living with students your own age in Glenomena or Roebuck Halls; but this is not guaranteed. At the end of the day you really won't know who you will be living with until the day you check in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 katie molly meg

dont worry about it ul definately get somewhere to stay if ur going about accom this early. Just for advice if ur staying on campus make sure u get ur deposit back (if the accom was tidy and in good condition), i know people who had their accom in perfect condition and were told they wouldnt get it back (because cutlery was missing which was rubbish) but their dad had to ring up and complain and they eventually got it back....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kerriew12

does anyone know if merville have ovens?? i've heard that they have and that they dont from different people! and has all of merville been renovated or just some appartents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Take SO many photos of the condition of the place the day you move in (date imprint, or film camera). We got SCREWED for our deposit, we later found out it was because the RA inspecting had taken a dislike to us.

And I've never heard of any rooms on campus having double beds...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

CatEyed92 wrote: »

2. Is it an apartment situation? If so, do they put you with people on your course? I want to study General Nursing.
    3. I am 21 and don't want to be roomed with a gang of 18 year olds. More 20-22. How could I assert that when being roomed?
    4. Would prefer a double bed with ensuite or ensuite room. Are those options available?

Please help. Website not clear!

2. Yes they are, with between 4-6 people living in an apartment, and roughly 6-8 apartments per building/house, depending on where you choose
    eg. Merville 4 people per apt and 6 apartments per building.

Roebuck and Glenomena 6 people per apt and not sure how many apartments per building.

Belgrove is getting renovated at the moment, not sure if all the houses will be ready before September but as it stands, the new houses have 4 people and the old houses have 3. Same as Merville with 6 apartments per building!

3. Unfortunately its not possible to choose who to live with, but you would probably be better to go for Glenomena overall, seems to have more of the older people! Belgrove and Merville are more likely for 1st/2nd years.

4. No double beds on any campus accommodation! :rolleyes: haha good ole ucd! But, Glenomena and Roebuck both have ensuites. The thing about these two accommodations is you are paying extra to have the ensuite, which is tiny! but the room is a little bigger than Merville and Belgrove bedrooms!
    kerriew12 wrote:
    does anyone know if merville have ovens?? i've heard that they have and that they dont from different people! and has all of merville been renovated or just some appartents?

Merville does not have ovens! Ever year i just bring up a counter top oven that i got in aldi or lidl for like €40 and it does the job!

All merville has been renovated now!

Old belgrove has ovens, but tbh the apartments are pretty grotty.The new belgrove doesnt, but i havent a clue which part of belgrove is the new or old!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 James1001

PM me, I'm looking to flat share as I have the same problem with UCD accomodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrpockets09

Anybody looking to get accommodation with more people? I missed out on campus, going into 3rd year, male, 21

• Registered Users Posts: 26 calron

Hi 21 year old female and need somewhere to stay in sept??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Fionab13

I'm doing the Hdip in Sep and I am also looking for people to move in with, get the work done but have the bants also :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement