Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just switched back - broadband.

Options
  • 08-05-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I just switched back to eircom, having been on voip for a while.  My line is now active and I have a couple of questions.

1.  How long before broadband is activated on the line?
    2.  How long to get my router?
    3.  When I switched the girl I spoke to was unable to tell me what speed I should get on my line as    the line was inactive.  Can someone tell me now what my speed should be?  I left eircom before because of slow speed and I'm assured this has been solved so hopefully this is true.

I can PM my phone number but have no account number yet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

mossie wrote: »
    Hi.

I just switched back to eircom, having been on voip for a while.  My line is now active and I have a couple of questions.

1.  How long before broadband is activated on the line?
    2.  How long to get my router?
    3.  When I switched the girl I spoke to was unable to tell me what speed I should get on my line as    the line was inactive.  Can someone tell me now what my speed should be?  I left eircom before because of slow speed and I'm assured this has been solved so hopefully this is true.

I can PM my phone number but have no account number yet.

Thanks.
    Hi mossie

Please PM me your eircom landline number and I'll look into this for you.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Hi mossie

Please PM me your eircom landline number and I'll look into this for you.

Regards

Al
    Sent thanks.

Sent thanks.

Hi mossie

Can you advise on what would be the best time to contact you?

Regards

Al

Hi mossie

Can you advise on what would be the best time to contact you?

Regards

Al

Hi Alan,
    I left my mobile on pm you can contact me there anytime but preferably after 2. I'll be at home around 3.30 if you want to use my land line

Hi Alan,
    I left my mobile on pm you can contact me there anytime but preferably after 2. I'll be at home around 3.30 if you want to use my land line
    Hi mossie

I'm still investigating this and I'll get back to you when I have news on your broadband.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

Hi mossie

I'm still investigating this and I'll get back to you when I have news on your broadband.

Regards

Al
    Thanks for your time Alan. Not happy with eircom right now so glad there's someone taking time to check.

Thanks for your time Alan. Not happy with eircom right now so glad there's someone taking time to check.
    No worries Mossie, I'll be in touch with you around 3.15pm

Regards

Al

Hi.

Just to update on this.  My broadband has now been switched back and I am not happy at all.  It seems I can only get 2 meg broadband, while my neighbour across the road can get 5meg and my brother 300m up the road can get 4 meg. We're all on the same exchange, and all the lines pass my door so I'm closest to the exchange and get the lowest speed.  I've been on to Alan about this but have heard nothing for a week despite being told I would, and despite several PMs.

It makes no sense to me that I am the first house on the line and yet have the lowest speed.  3 years ago I had 5meg BB with imagine on the same line but now it's only 2 with eircom.

Not at all happy with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi.

Just to update on this.  My broadband has now been switched back and I am not happy at all.  It seems I can only get 2 meg broadband, while my neighbour across the road can get 5meg and my brother 300m up the road can get 4 meg. We're all on the same exchange, and all the lines pass my door so I'm closest to the exchange and get the lowest speed.  I've been on to Alan about this but have heard nothing for a week despite being told I would, and despite several PMs.

It makes no sense to me that I am the first house on the line and yet have the lowest speed.  3 years ago I had 5meg BB with imagine on the same line but now it's only 2 with eircom.

Not at all happy with this.

Hi mossie

Alan, confirmed he tested the neighbouring line you PM him. That customer is getting between 2-3MB Not 5MB?

Alan did call you before placing the order that he checked a number customers with eircom broadband service and they all are getting around 2MB.

Broadband networks confirmed there is no issue with the line to your address. The speed is limited due to the distance of the area from the exchange (given the telephone lines are not laid in direct line of sogh)

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  I know that you and Alan are only a link in the chain, and I don't want to "shoot the messenger" but I will reply to your comments below (I have added numbers for clarity..
    Hi mossie

1 Alan, confirmed he tested the neighbouring line you PM him. That customer is getting between 2-3MB Not 5MB?

2 Alan did call you before placing the order that he checked a number customers with eircom broadband service and they all are getting around 2MB.

3 .Broadband networks confirmed there is no issue with the line to your address. The speed is limited due to the distance of the area from the exchange (given the telephone lines are not laid in direct line of sogh)

Thanks, Mark

1. The number I PM'ed Alan with is my brothers 300m up the road.  Alan told me it was "substantially faster than mine" and speed tests done using the speed test app on the eircom site show it having speeds of 3 - 4 meg, not 2-3 as you state.  When I spoke to Alan on the phone later he tested 2 other numbers - one "is 5 meg capable, but currently only enabled for 1 meg".  The second "tests at 4, is enabled at 1 and is realistically capable of 2" these are what I have written down of Alan's comments.  The first of these numbers "5 meg capable" is opposite my house and maybe 50m further up the road and further from the exchange.

2. Alan told me on placing my order that my number tested at 2 meg.  He did not check any other numbers at that time and only later tested those I supplied, and as I stated above, these all tested faster.  I agreed to proceed with the order as I felt I had no other option given my phone number had already been ported and I have no wish to have broadband and phone with different companies, substantially increasing my charges.  I also made it clear to him that I was not happy with his explanation and wanted it checked out, and that I would pursue it as far as neede.

3.  The first part may be true, I'm sure they would say that, the remainder re line of sight etc. is waffle, pure and simple.  All the lines from the exchange to houses around here come along by the road, at the crossroads below my house the line branches off to my road.  Maybe 50 - 60m along this road there is a manhole from which the line comes to my house and another opposite. My brother lives 300m further along this road, therefore 300m further from the exchange.  I did a speed test on his line a few minutes ago and it showed a speed of 3.45Mb/s, mine shows 1.75Mb/s, essentially half his speed even though I am 300 m closer to the exchange.  His line follows the same route, passes my house, it doesn't come by some different route which magically gives him faster internet.  Everything is the same but he has faster internet and eircom cannot, or more likely, will not give an explanation for this.

Alan told me that if he was unable to provide a satisfactory conclusion to my query he would give me some advice about how to proceed with my query.  Unfortunately Alan has failed to contact me since Fri 17/5, and isn't answering PMs, so perhaps you, or anyone, can advise me.  I feel I now have no option but to make a formal complaint, and involve Comreg if necessary, in order to avoid what are clearly stock answers.  I remember, back in the days of dial-up, writing to the paper because of eircom being similarly uncooperative.  Amazingly bad publicity got a response...

Incidentally when I first moved in here 4 years ago I had my broadband with imagine and had speeds of 4 meg+.  Some time later eircom put the lines by my house underground and my speed dropped to 1 meg.  When I queried this with imagine I was told that eircom had told them that my line had only ever been capable of 1 meg, which was clearly untrue.

Anyway, I will be pursuing this.  I see there have been some similar cases on here which got solved so I won't stop at this.

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  I know that you and Alan are only a link in the chain, and I don't want to "shoot the messenger" but I will reply to your comments below (I have added numbers for clarity..

1. The number I PM'ed Alan with is my brothers 300m up the road.  Alan told me it was "substantially faster than mine" and speed tests done using the speed test app on the eircom site show it having speeds of 3 - 4 meg, not 2-3 as you state.  When I spoke to Alan on the phone later he tested 2 other numbers - one "is 5 meg capable, but currently only enabled for 1 meg".  The second "tests at 4, is enabled at 1 and is realistically capable of 2" these are what I have written down of Alan's comments.  The first of these numbers "5 meg capable" is opposite my house and maybe 50m further up the road and further from the exchange.

2. Alan told me on placing my order that my number tested at 2 meg.  He did not check any other numbers at that time and only later tested those I supplied, and as I stated above, these all tested faster.  I agreed to proceed with the order as I felt I had no other option given my phone number had already been ported and I have no wish to have broadband and phone with different companies, substantially increasing my charges.  I also made it clear to him that I was not happy with his explanation and wanted it checked out, and that I would pursue it as far as neede.

3.  The first part may be true, I'm sure they would say that, the remainder re line of sight etc. is waffle, pure and simple.  All the lines from the exchange to houses around here come along by the road, at the crossroads below my house the line branches off to my road.  Maybe 50 - 60m along this road there is a manhole from which the line comes to my house and another opposite. My brother lives 300m further along this road, therefore 300m further from the exchange.  I did a speed test on his line a few minutes ago and it showed a speed of 3.45Mb/s, mine shows 1.75Mb/s, essentially half his speed even though I am 300 m closer to the exchange.  His line follows the same route, passes my house, it doesn't come by some different route which magically gives him faster internet.  Everything is the same but he has faster internet and eircom cannot, or more likely, will not give an explanation for this.

Alan told me that if he was unable to provide a satisfactory conclusion to my query he would give me some advice about how to proceed with my query.  Unfortunately Alan has failed to contact me since Fri 17/5, and isn't answering PMs, so perhaps you, or anyone, can advise me.  I feel I now have no option but to make a formal complaint, and involve Comreg if necessary, in order to avoid what are clearly stock answers.  I remember, back in the days of dial-up, writing to the paper because of eircom being similarly uncooperative.  Amazingly bad publicity got a response...

Incidentally when I first moved in here 4 years ago I had my broadband with imagine and had speeds of 4 meg+.  Some time later eircom put the lines by my house underground and my speed dropped to 1 meg.  When I queried this with imagine I was told that eircom had told them that my line had only ever been capable of 1 meg, which was clearly untrue.

Anyway, I will be pursuing this.  I see there have been some similar cases on here which got solved so I won't stop at this.

Hi mossie

Alan, had your address so we could then check neighbouring customers with eircom broadband service.

Each had a maximum of between 2-3MB.

We can only advise on the service speed available withe eircom broadband.  If you were getting a different speed with another company we can not verify that.

We checked all we could to confirm and give the best indication of the speed available. Which we did a few times before we issued the order.

Thaks, Mark

Hi mossie

Alan, had your address so we could then check neighbouring customers with eircom broadband service.

Each had a maximum of between 2-3MB.

We can only advise on the service speed available withe eircom broadband.  If you were getting a different speed with another company we can not verify that.

We checked all we could to confirm and give the best indication of the speed available. Which we did a few times before we issued the order.

Thaks, Mark
    Mark,

As I stated in my PM, and have stated here previously, my brother is getting downloads of 3.5+ megs despite his house being further from the exchange, so your assertion does not stand up.  The question is straightforward, why can my line only do downloads of 1.7 while his can do double that? Please no waffle this time about his house "seeming" to be further - it is.  His line passes my door.  Also I want to know why I haven't had a call back on this despite Alan telling me two weeks ago he would "call on Monday".

Comreg are now involved.

Mark,

As I stated in my PM, and have stated here previously, my brother is getting downloads of 3.5+ megs despite his house being further from the exchange, so your assertion does not stand up.  The question is straightforward, why can my line only do downloads of 1.7 while his can do double that? Please no waffle this time about his house "seeming" to be further - it is.  His line passes my door.  Also I want to know why I haven't had a call back on this despite Alan telling me two weeks ago he would "call on Monday".

Comreg are now involved.

Hi mossie

Thanks for taking my call earlier. Sorry I could not get back with better news.

Feel free to get back to me anytime with your decision.

Thanks, Mark

Hi mossie

Thanks for taking my call earlier. Sorry I could not get back with better news.

Feel free to get back to me anytime with your decision.

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark.

I'll be looking at my options and I'll get back to you

Thanks Mark.

I'll be looking at my options and I'll get back to you
    Hi mossie

Just confirming you saw my PMs.

Mark

Hi mossie