Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent printer which takes refills

Options
  • 08-05-2013 5:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

ok guys,,, i have a hp photosmart. but ive a pain in my hoop buying ink for it..

so im looking for a decent printer which takes ink refills..

what printers have you got and ho do they meet the needs??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Package wrote: »
    ok guys,,, i have a hp photosmart. but ive a pain in my hoop buying ink for it..

so im looking for a decent printer which takes ink refills..

what printers have you got and ho do they meet the needs??

I have a Brother DCP J525W all in one printer. It takes 4 ink cartitages, they last along time even with doing big amounts of printing and new ones are cheap enough for it also comparing to my old printers. I would recommend this printer. I've had a Lexmark printer, two HP printers, and a Dell Printer and this is by far the best one Ive had.

Amprodude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

We've an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 that has an CISS system(http://www.inksystem.ie). It has saved us a fortune in ink costs. But, it's only good if you're doing a lot of printing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Amprodude wrote: »
    I have a Brother DCP J525W all in one printer. It takes 4 ink cartitages, they last along time even with doing big amounts of printing and new ones are cheap enough for it also comparing to my old printers. I would recommend this printer. I've had a Lexmark printer, two HP printers, and a Dell Printer and this is by far the best one Ive had.

Amprodude.

becareful... my dad had a brother printer and he used refills and the refills destroyed his printer.

he ended up getting a new brother printer but now uses the genuine cartridges.

refills are just not worth a crap they will shorten the lifespan of your printer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

thanks for the info guys,, yeah i do a lot of printing, and the ink kills ya. does anyone else have problems with refills?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

thanks for the info guys,, yeah i do a lot of printing, and the ink kills ya. does anyone else have problems with refills?

if you do alot of printing buy a laser printer.... you'll never want to go back to inkjet again.

1. laser printers have better quality prints
    2. laser toner lasts much longer then inkjet cartridges
    3. laser toner cartridges can be refilled and dont feck up your printer
    4. laser printers print faster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have an Epson SX205 with a CISS System.. Had a few teething problems with it initially but now that it's bedded in, it's perfect. You can print for pretty much nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If it's black texted only type printing then go for laser for every thing else get the CISS system. We went from about 30 euros( cheap ink cartridges from Asian) a month on ink costs to 40 euros every 9 months. Refilling the outside reserve on the system is simple.

Edit: Also, the ink is not only cheaper it's good quality too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

becareful... my dad had a brother printer and he used refills and the refills destroyed his printer.

he ended up getting a new brother printer but now uses the genuine cartridges.

refills are just not worth a crap they will shorten the lifespan of your printer

I dont buy refills. I buy new ones but what i was saying is that they are cheap to buy new and last a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

I have purchased new black ink for above printer and installed it. Done all the right things but HP warnings appear on screen that I am using an compatible ink and will not let me pass. This cartridge is not HP alright (theirs is about a third dearer) but they have been used successfully in another HP printer.
    The message is that the cartridge is compatible as it is configured. Not sure what this means, is the cartridge or printer configured and what does it mean?
    Any help out there please?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

TeresaL wrote: »
    I have purchased new black ink for above printer and installed it. Done all the right things but HP warnings appear on screen that I am using an compatible ink and will not let me pass. This cartridge is not HP alright (theirs is about a third dearer) but they have been used successfully in another HP printer.
    The message is that the cartridge is compatible as it is configured. Not sure what this means, is the cartridge or printer configured and what does it mean?
    Any help out there please?

Try uninstalling the HP printer software & drivers and install older drivers (i.e: the ones off the CD the printer came with). Make sure to disable driver auto updating if asked

Nick

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply Nick. I tried everything like that. Re-installed the printer with original disc etc but still won't accept the cartridge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

TeresaL wrote: »
    Thanks for reply Nick. I tried everything like that. Re-installed the printer with original disc etc but still won't accept the cartridge.

Return it for another and see how you get on. Different printers have different detection mechanisms built in so it could be the cartridge fools some but not others

Nick

Yes, that is probably best as another HP printer has no problem with generic cartridges.

Advertisement