Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the difference

Options
  • 08-05-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi All, can someone please answer a question that has being annoying me for some time.
    What is the difference between a Postgrad and a masters, taking into account that they are both at level 9 on the national framework?

http://www.nqai.ie/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Mossess wrote: »
    Hi All, can someone please answer a question that has being annoying me for some time.
    What is the difference between a Postgrad and a masters, taking into account that they are both at level 9 on the national framework?

http://www.nqai.ie/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

Thanks
    :)

I could be wrong but are they not the same thing?

If not then a post grad might be a diploma which usually does not include a thesis or research project and is usually shorter than a master degree.

A Masters usually includes a thesis and may be 2 years in length.

Both are level 9 AFAIK just that an masters would probably be the better qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

A masters is a part of a postgraduate study.

A PhD is also a postgraduate study.

If you think logically postgraduate is any study which follows your graduate study.

Most popular are the two mentioned alreday and the Higher Diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I'd agree that they are all postgraduate studies, so to clarify, if a masters is considered more worthy then why is it on the same level 9 as the diploma?
    The whole levels system is relatively new enough so I would have thought that this would have been incorporated into it.

Is it a case of them all being equal, but some more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A postgrad diploma does not have a thesis, a masters does.

So, even though both are level 9, I would argue that a masters is seen as being worth more to a prospective employer.

Advertisement