Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calendar of wills & administration

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Very good. Now if they could bring out the pre-1800 wills that would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Enda for additional information.

I will have to order some to be posted on me. At €15 for a copy of the Will, I will only be ordering the more important ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

owenc wrote: »
    Very good. Now if they could bring out the pre-1800 wills that would be brilliant.

If I am not mistaken the vast majority of pre-1800 will records that were in Dublin General records office were destroyed in 1922 ??
    All that survives are indexes with some abstracts (in rare cases).
    I think I read as such on the PRONI website which said that there may be possibility that they are in some solicitor archives or family archives (mostly wealthy families).

Am I correct or is this a glib assessment ?
    In my own case I have found a highly relevant 1760 will record in an index but I don't believe the will original exists or that there might be a transcript anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

How common or uncommon was it for families in Ireland to register wills in the late 1800s to early 1900s? I've only found records from one family and I would have thought there would be more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well if your family is just an average farming family you wont find many. My family only has two wills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

RGM wrote: »
    How common or uncommon was it for families in Ireland to register wills in the late 1800s to early 1900s? I've only found records from one family and I would have thought there would be more.

Extremely uncommon. A genealogist I know estimated it at only 5% of the population up until the mid 20th century.

And yes, very little pre-1858 survived. There's about 10000 wills in the registry of deeds, which have been published in a 3 volume book by the Irish Manuscript Commission.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement