Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail mismanagement: why do they run 4-carriage DARTs at rush hour?

• 08-05-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...to greystones, so that everyone on the platform at 6PM in Tara Street and Pearse has to cram into an absolutely tiny train, with even more passangers than usual because it's the last one to greystones for about 45 minutes,

while you can get a dart that's twice as long, with twice as much room on it, into town from Sandycove at 2 o clock in the afternoon when there's almost nobody on it to begin with?

Does anyone understand this ridiculous logic? I dread the dart home on Tuesday evenings because I know it'll be a cramped 4 carriager heading all the way to greystones, yet heading in to college for a 1 or 2 o clock class at a time when I'm the only one in the station, I can get on a train which is twice as long and sit in a pretty much empty carriage?

I'm sure we can all come up with examples of ridiculous mismanagement of trains and busses, but let's just start with this: Why not switch the trains? Run the long one at 6PM Southbound and the tiny one at 2 or 3PM northbound? This would inconvenience absolutely nobody on the northbound train and benefit absolutely everybody on the later southbound rush hour train.

Is there a logical explanation for this I'm missing? It seems mad that you see trains long enough to fill the platform at quiet hours, while the rush hour trains home from town are the ones which you have to run up the platform to get to because they're so small. What gives? This seems like an amazingly idiotic policy to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheLB

Sending Dart carriages to a country town at rushhour is a waste of resources tbh. There is a intercity to Greystones at 17.38.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

TheLB wrote: »
    Sending Dart carriages to a country town at rushhour is a waste of resources tbh. There is a intercity to Greystones at 17.38.

And what about the 17 train stations between Connolly station and that country town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

BenShermin wrote: »
    And what about the 17 train stations between Connolly station and that country town?

No no, you don't understand. People only want to go into the big schmoke for some shopping in the afternoon, and have plenty of schpace for the bags.

Clearly IE are trying to disencourage rail use, to stop people getting the idea of having a job and getting up in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

...to greystones, so that everyone on the platform at 6PM in Tara Street and Pearse has to cram into an absolutely tiny train, with even more passangers than usual because it's the last one to greystones for about 45 minutes,

while you can get a dart that's twice as long, with twice as much room on it, into town from Sandycove at 2 o clock in the afternoon when there's almost nobody on it to begin with?

Does anyone understand this ridiculous logic? I dread the dart home on Tuesday evenings because I know it'll be a cramped 4 carriager heading all the way to greystones, yet heading in to college for a 1 or 2 o clock class at a time when I'm the only one in the station, I can get on a train which is twice as long and sit in a pretty much empty carriage?

I'm sure we can all come up with examples of ridiculous mismanagement of trains and busses, but let's just start with this: Why not switch the trains? Run the long one at 6PM Southbound and the tiny one at 2 or 3PM northbound? This would inconvenience absolutely nobody on the northbound train and benefit absolutely everybody on the later southbound rush hour train.

Is there a logical explanation for this I'm missing? It seems mad that you see trains long enough to fill the platform at quiet hours, while the rush hour trains home from town are the ones which you have to run up the platform to get to because they're so small. What gives? This seems like an amazingly idiotic policy to me.

I think there was an answer to that given a few weeks ago i think. Cant remember what it was or by who.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I think it's something to do with the wheels, was speaking to a driver who was waiting for a delayed train said it was something to do with the wheels, as my dart was waiting didn't have time to find out the full answer (he was waiting for commuter train btw before anyone asks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

cost saving! why run a 6 or 8 car set when you can pack everyone in like sardines into 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I have never seen more on a dart compared to how the LUAS does be with stinky arm pits in your face.

If the demand is there they will match with supply.
    1 good idea would be to take out seats and put along the side so there would be more standing space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was all excited when I read the first 3 words "Irish rail mismanagement" was expecting something good but then I read on and its the same old topic but while on the topic of capacity/demand etc what I can't believe is that the 6 car ICR's are operating Northern service at night. These are 2 3 car sets and they should only be 3 car sets and there is no excuse for them not being split in Drogheda. The 22.05 Drogheda to Connolly which forms the 23.30 from Pearse to Drogheda should not be operated by a 6 car train. There is no valid reason for this train not being split before departure at 22.05 from Drogheda. TBH I would even say it should be down to a 3 car set once 19.00 comes or whenever it arrives in Drogheda after that. I would of expected this nonsense would of being stopped by now...

If the demand is there they will match with supply.
    1 good idea would be to take out seats and put along the side so there would be more standing space.

There's a need for this on the likes of London Underground where trains long enough to take up the entire length of platforms are full even though they run at an every two minute frequency at peak times.

No point in taking seats out of the Dart as that would annoy off peak passengers who might find it hard to get seats on services that they could always get a seat on. The simple solution here is to have eight car trains running at rush hour, NO exceptions!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

mtjm wrote: »
    I think it's something to do with the wheels, was speaking to a driver who was waiting for a delayed train said it was something to do with the wheels, as my dart was waiting didn't have time to find out the full answer (he was waiting for commuter train btw before anyone asks)

Ah yes - The Wheels !

The only problem with the wheels on DART services and other Irish Rail trains is their inability to go round and round as much as the wheels in the UK and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

If the demand is there and they have enough money they will match with supply.

You left a crucial part out of your post.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But how much money is Irish Rail saving by doing this.

The biggest expense by far is staff wages, putting on extra carriages doesn't effect this cost.

So all they are saving is a little bit of fuel, according to the IR annual report, fuel makes up less then 8% of their operating costs. So really no major savings here by doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

bk wrote: »

The biggest expense by far is staff wages, putting on extra carriages doesn't effect this cost.

So all they are saving is a little bit of fuel, according to the IR annual report, fuel makes up less then 8% of their operating costs. So really no major savings here by doing this.

But the staff are permanent so it's an overhead that can't be changed. The fuel and maintenance costs are the only variables that they have at the moment to reduce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

I'd tend to agree with you except to say that at when you're short on cash, picking away at the small expenses isn't a bad idea. Especially with a heavily unionised company where cost saving negotiations can take a (very) long time.

Also, I can't think of any other reason why IR would reduce capacity like that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But the staff are permanent so it's an overhead that can't be changed. The fuel and maintenance costs are the only variables that they have at the moment to reduce.

What! of course they can reduce staff too, you let them go or you give them a pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What! of course they can reduce staff too, you let them go or you give them a pay cut.

Strike! We the workers demand.....

And how long does it take to do that versus running shorter DARTs?

That doesn't happen overnight especially with a big union behind you..

On that subject have railway workers been subjected to any pay cuts since the collapse of IE passenger numbers, judging by how much i heard some people who work in their ticket offices makes a week, i think there should be a review....

Last I heard they're still using voluntary redundancy to thin the numbers.

• Advertisement

Last I heard they're still using voluntary redundancy to thin the numbers.

id say they will save in the long run with that , but not really in the short term..

Think of all those severence payments, must cost a fortune short term. I'd say the unions won't play nice til Irish Rail management take all other possible cost cutting measures first.

Think of all those severence payments, must cost a fortune short term. I'd say the unions won't play nice til Irish Rail management take all other possible cost cutting measures first.

what measures are left?

davidlacey wrote: »
    what measures are left?

I mean the ones they're already doing, voluntary redundancy, parking up some 22000s, shorter DARTs, etc.

Then when they still have a shortfall, the unions will have no argument against pay cuts or other redundancies.

So in other words, push rail in Ireland to the brink of collapse !!

And probably never gain back the customers lost to the motorways in doing so.

How does cost cutting and re-aligning pay rates "push rail... to the brink of collapse"?

How does cost cutting and re-aligning pay rates "push rail... to the brink of collapse"?

are they not half way there already if numbers are anything to go by?

The rail will never be gone. Even if the government pulled all funding and Irish Rail ceased all operations tomorrow, a private operator would fill the void quick enough, even if it was only to run the Cork-Dublin, Belfast-Dublin and DARTs.

No, I meant this when you said:

"parking up some 22000s, shorter DARTs, etc."

And with etc. I would add doubling intercity fares at peak times, 3 carriage 22k's to Cork, etc.

Rationalising staff costs would be a very good thing IMO.

In the age of leap, online bookings, TVM's, etc. are ticket sales staff even needed? Sure maybe one ticket seller/customer service person in Connolly, Tara and Hueston, but certainly they aren't needed at most DART stations.

Any time I take the DART, I never see them actually selling any tickets, they just look bored and reading the paper.

You would think maybe at least turn the ticket kiosks into mini shops selling sweets, coffee, sandwiches, etc. At least get some revenue for the staff cost.

• Advertisement

The way they'd think, they would want more money for increasing the amount of work.

The rail will never be gone. Even if the government pulled all funding and Irish Rail ceased all operations tomorrow, a private operator would fill the void quick enough, even if it was only to run the Cork-Dublin, Belfast-Dublin and DARTs.

DART and commuter rail definitely.

Intercity I wouldn't be so sure, maybe. It is very expensive to run it and it is facing lots of competition from the motorway. So a private company would have to run a very lean operation, with low ticket prices.

But if it meant rail survived and thrived, then it would certainly be welcome.

DART and commuter rail definitely.

Intercity I wouldn't be so sure, maybe. It is very expensive to run it and it is facing lots of competition from the motorway. So a private company would have to run a very lean operation, with low ticket prices.

But if it meant rail survived and thrived, then it would certainly be welcome.

It would be a lean operation. You could concentrate all the maintenance work on those core routes and if it becomes viable over time, you could open more routes.

(Although that could get more expensive in the long run as I don't know what the maintenance costs of upkeep of a disused line against completely renewing a disused line that has had no maintenance on it.)

Low ticket prices would be unlikely, c.f. rail in the UK. I travel for work on the trains here in the UK and thankfully my work pays for it as it can be hugely expensive. The biggest boon is that it is often faster than road and more flexible than flying. Also the prices don't really deter those I've seen on the trains.

This is what would have to be done in the Irish network, upgrade longer sections for higher speeds. It's entirely plausible for 22000s or even Mark 4s to do the Cork run in under 2 hours (without stopping), if the track is upgraded.

Low ticket prices would be unlikely, c.f. rail in the UK. I travel for work on the trains here in the UK and thankfully my work pays for it as it can be hugely expensive. The biggest boon is that it is often faster than road and more flexible than flying. Also the prices don't really deter those I've seen on the trains.

Unfortunately the UK and Irish markets are very different.

Typically longer distances in the UK, with much larger cities at either end and a great deal of traffic congestion on the motorways. The big cities also tend to run up the length of the country.

Ireland you have only one large city (Dublin), which is at the centre of the country and the other cities (really towns in comparison to the UK) radiate out from there. Add to that the motorways are congestion free.

It means rail faces much greater modal competition then in the UK and high rail ticket prices just wouldn't work here in Ireland like they do in the UK.

Indeed there is a greater draw of population for potential customers, but compare the Dublin-Cork belt with the Central Belt in Scotland, similar populations. Granted, the two main population centres of the Central Belt, Edinburgh and Glasgow, are only 50 miles apart but they have three separate lines connecting them with a plan to build a high speed line.

what i dont get is, as i sit on a dart at 14 25 on the way to bray, why on earth am i sitting on an full dart set? the carriages are empty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

davidlacey wrote: »
    what i dont get is, as i sit on a dart at 14 25 on the way to bray, why on earth am i sitting on an full dart set? the carriages are empty...

I'm assuming that train will remain in service during peak hours. While you might be on it at 14.25, on it's return journey from Bray, it'll be hitting peak time hours and those extra carriages will be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ok so the argument is that they save money by running 4 carriages at peak times? But then why are they running 6/8 carriages at off peak times? Why dont they swap it around - run the short trains off peak and the longer ones at busy times, how would that cost more?
    I'm obviously not privy to some key information here because the current practice as outlines by the OP is truly baffling.

Already been done.

No, I meant this when you said:

"parking up some 22000s, shorter DARTs, etc."

And with etc. I would add doubling intercity fares at peak times, 3 carriage 22k's to Cork, etc.

Rationalising staff costs would be a very good thing IMO.

In the age of leap, online bookings, TVM's, etc. are ticket sales staff even needed? Sure maybe one ticket seller/customer service person in Connolly, Tara and Hueston, but certainly they aren't needed at most DART stations.

Any time I take the DART, I never see them actually selling any tickets, they just look bored and reading the paper.

You would think maybe at least turn the ticket kiosks into mini shops selling sweets, coffee, sandwiches, etc. At least get some revenue for the staff cost.

I take it that you dont use Connolly station much. Have a look tomorrow afternoon and see if one person is enough.
    At the moment Irish Rail are understaffed believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

TheLB wrote: »
    that train is packed enough as it is, we don't want passengers who could easily get the dart thanks, the dart is serving the other stations the intercity doesn't all though it would be nice if the intercity was given priority but theirs more chance of the west cork railway re-opening then that happening (otherwise known as no chance)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It would be a lean operation. You could concentrate all the maintenance work on those core routes and if it becomes viable over time, you could open more routes.

(Although that could get more expensive in the long run as I don't know what the maintenance costs of upkeep of a disused line against completely renewing a disused line that has had no maintenance on it.)

This is what would have to be done in the Irish network, upgrade longer sections for higher speeds. It's entirely plausible for 22000s or even Mark 4s to do the Cork run in under 2 hours (without stopping), if the track is upgraded.

I don't think non stop trains are the market. The market is traffic to and from Dublin and Cork from intermediate points.... I'd suggest that through traffic is in the minority (IMHO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

With due respect BK, I'd agree with Hilly Bill on this one, they need a fair few more staff than one at Connolly station. I used it at peak times for around a year at one point and it would be chaos with just one person.

devnull wrote: »
    With due respect BK, I'd agree with Hilly Bill on this one, they need a fair few more staff than one at Connolly station. I used it at peak times for around a year at one point and it would be chaos with just one person.

Fair enough at the busy city centre stations, but I don't think I've seen the ticket selling staff at Clontarf Road or Sandycove sell a ticket in years.

Now not saying they don't ever, but I honestly don't think their constant presence is required.

Instead why not turn the ticket offices into shops and require the shop staff to also sell rail tickets, like shops sell Dublin Bus tickets?

Irish Rail gain rent from the shop and reduce staff costs.

Fair enough at the busy city centre stations, but I don't think I've seen the ticket selling staff at Clontarf Road or Sandycove sell a ticket in years.

Now not saying they don't ever, but I honestly don't think their constant presence is required.

Instead why not turn the ticket offices into shops and require the shop staff to also sell rail tickets, like shops sell Dublin Bus tickets?

Irish Rail gain rent from the shop and reduce staff costs.

Its like that already bk, some of the quieter stops are unmanned at certain times of the day for various reasons like staff rosters , covering somewhere else etc.
    Irish rail get rent from the shops that are already in most of these places already.

I've often gone into Connolly to buy a Sailrail ticket since the CIE office closed down on Middle Abbey Street. It takes the staff member behind the counter around five to ten minutes to do up one of those tickets. It only takes one customer like me to cause a huge queue if there's only one clerk at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jkbrgs

Greystones is no "country town". There's only a small amount of standing room available at 7 and 8am before the Dart even leaves Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

jkbrgs wrote: »
    Greystones is no "country town". There's only a small amount of standing room available at 7 and 8am before the DART even leaves Greystones.
    Greystones is County Wicklow's second most populous town and no small suburb of Dublin. Aside from the DART extension there, new link roads to/from the N11 have been built, highlighting the town's importance, never mind the work on the R761. Greystones' population is higher than that of Maynooth, and there appears to be a prevailing opinion that Maynooth is somehow a more worthy DART terminus. (Greystones' population is even higher than Leixlip's, and Leixlip has two train stations and three separate Dublin Bus routes serving it.)

BTW, before the DART, there used to be 13 stations between Greystones and Connolly, with Shankill being added some years prior to DART's inauguration. And Tara Street wasn't even open full-time during those years, being completely closed on weekends.

would it not make sense to have one person designated per small station as is the case in sandycove and actually be involved in cleaning the station and actually take pride in it as if it is theirs, i understand there is a big union is behind them but its common sense, there is no pride put into many stations and it gives IE a bad name!Its better than having them sitting there reading the paper as is the case in many stations and in some cases a person buying a ticket is a nuisance...

I've often gone into Connolly to buy a Sailrail ticket since the CIE office closed down on Middle Abbey Street. It takes the staff member behind the counter around five to ten minutes to do up one of those tickets. It only takes one customer like me to cause a huge queue if there's only one clerk at the counter.

That sounds more like an issue that should be solved by upgrading the online booking system and TVM's to support such tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I read on twitter yesterday that people on a 4 carriage northbound malahide dart in evening rush hour were told to get off the train and wait for the next one as it was too overcrowded.

So is that the way it is now, put on half sized darts in rush hour leaving half the fleet sitting idle in Fairview depot and strand people on platforms?

• Advertisement
Advertisement