Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you get annoyed when people say 'Eire'?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but another reason for the reticence on the part of the British for using the term "Ireland" was because of this country's constitutional claim to the 6 counties up north (since removed after the GFA). The use of "Ireland" to describe the republic could be seen as tacit acknowledgement of that claim.
    Rubbish, do you honestly think average English person know anything or cares less about the subject. Most I've met want rid of the North anyway. I've even met ex British soldiers who say they were sent to Ireland when they mean Northern Ireland. Eire doesn't come into it.

A friend of mine who is originally English but lived overseas for most of his life therefore missed all the nonsense asked me to explain why he came across so many normally reasonable Irish people who took offence at the slightest mispronunciation or failure to understand some obscure aspect of Irish history. My only explanation is that we Irish all think we know Irish history but most of us only know the headlines and slogans and we always think the English are trying to insult us even by speaking with an English accent.

It's an inferiority complex in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Seaneh wrote: »
    Éire is the official name of the state.

Not in the English language it isn't. Article 4 of our constitution states; The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. If you are speaking English, the correct name of the country is Ireland, calling it Éire is the same as saying Deutschland instead of Germany while speaking English. The reason our stamps say Éire is because the first language of the country is officially Irish.

I had this issue last year getting my son's birth cert as he was born in Wales. The registrar asked where I was born, I said Ireland, she asked if it was northern or southern, I said it's just Ireland. She said she needed to put in more than that as it's an official document. It took a while to convince her that Ireland is the legal name of the republic and that it was because I was well aware of the importance of his birth cert being correct that I wanted her to put it down as Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

iguana wrote: »
    Not in the English language it isn't. Article 4 of our constitution states; The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. If you are speaking English, the correct name of the country is Ireland, calling it Éire is the same as saying Deutschland instead of Germany while speaking English. The reason our stamps say Éire is because the first language of the country is officially Irish.

I had this issue last year getting my son's birth cert as he was born in Wales. The registrar asked where I was born, I said Ireland, she asked if it was northern or southern, I said it's just Ireland. She said she needed to put in more than that as it's an official document. It took a while to convince her that Ireland is the legal name of the republic and that it was because I was well aware of the importance of his birth cert being correct that I wanted her to put it down as Ireland.

Why would you not say the Republic of Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

asdfg! wrote: »
    Rubbish, do you honestly think average English person know anything or cares less about the subject. Most I've met want rid of the North anyway. I've even met ex British soldiers who say they were sent to Ireland when they mean Northern Ireland. Eire doesn't come into it.
    The average Joe may care little about the political situation but their language will still reflect that in use by politicians and the media.
    Because it was an official document and no such country called "Republic of Ireland" exists. There is an "Ireland" which happens to be a republic (descriptive term)

As a further aside the Good Friday Agreement was signed between the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Government of Ireland. Not the Government of the Irish republic, the Republic of Ireland or Éire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

No I don't get annoyed by the word Eire although I do loathe the name Erin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

RossyG wrote: »
    No living British person has tried any such thing.

When I was a kid in Britain - so late 70's/80's - it was quite common for the ROI to be referred to as Eire. It was done primarily to differentiate it from Northern Ireland. It wasn't condescending or insulting; it's what people thought the country was called by its own citizens.

The term seems to have largely died out now. You're more likely to hear just "Ireland", "Southern Ireland", "the Republic of Ireland" "the Irish Republic" or even "proper Ireland".

I would love to have a history discussion with any fool who calls it 'proper ireland'

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    I would love to have a history discussion with any fool who calls it 'proper ireland'

You'd be wasting your breath. They really don't care. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Because that is the name of a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

asdfg! wrote: »

A friend of mine who is originally English but lived overseas for most of his life therefore missed all the nonsense asked me to explain why he came across so many normally reasonable Irish people who took offence at the slightest mispronunciation or failure to understand some obscure aspect of Irish history. My only explanation is that we Irish all think we know Irish history but most of us only know the headlines and slogans and we always think the English are trying to insult us even by speaking with an English accent.

It's an inferiority complex in my opinion.

No, that poster is right. It is actually a thing in the British media, which is where the habit comes from, I guess. They won't refer to the us 'Ireland' when reporting the news. It's always 'the Republic of Ireland' when talking about us because 'Ireland' implies the whole island including the North, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

mike65 wrote: »
    Its the other way round! Scottish notes are not technically legal tender currency (even in Scotland and Norn Iron) - rather they are promissory notes. Which means people who head south with them can find they are refused when offered.

There is no note that is legal tender in Scotland or Northern Ireland. Only pound coins are legal tender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Act_1948

Here's a useful link, it says Republic of Ireland is the official description of the state but not the name.
    I'll always refer to it as ROI, better than 'down south' which doesn't fit with donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

"If you suspect this video cassette is pirated please call XXX-XXXXX-XXXX or, if in Eire call XXXXX-XX"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

Because The Republic of Ireland is not the name of the Country, there are 2 official names Ireland and Eire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

'Ireland' implies the whole island including the North, apparently.

Well it does; at least it's ambiguous.

There are are several people on boards.ie who take great delight in saying "Northern Ireland is not part of Ireland". In one sense this is true, but it sounds odd, and isn't true in the sense that most people understand Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Richard wrote: »
    Well it does; at least it's ambiguous.

There are are several people on boards.ie who take great delight in saying "Northern Ireland is not part of Ireland". In one sense this is true, but it sounds odd, and isn't true in the sense that most people understand Ireland.
    Ireland is the official name of the Republic so yeah NI isn't in Ireland. It depends on context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Article 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

Strict constitutionalists, ironically, the English.

And when the Constitution talks about Ireland, the island, it brilliantly describes it as the Island of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 heinz hummer

LETS JUS CALL IT EIRELAND

donvito99 wrote: »
    ... Strict constitutionalists, ironically, the English....
    So strict in fact that they never bothered to commit a constitution to paper / vellum / parchment / stone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

mathepac wrote: »
    Because that is the name of a football team.

And what do the FAI put on all the match pennants for their Senior Internationals?

Éire, as Éire V England which is what the pennant for the friendly will read next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

And what do the FAI put on all the match pennants for their Senior Internationals?

Éire, as Éire V England which is what the pennant for the friendly will read next month.

Should that not read Éire v Sasana?
    Seems they have half in Irish language and half in English.

Would the GAA use Baile Atha Cliath V Kerry?

• Advertisement

Should that not read Éire v Sasana?
    Seems they have half in Irish language and half in English.

What do they have for Germany, France, etc? If they use Deutschland, Française, etc then using Éire is correct as they are naming each country in their own first language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think it sound a bit clunky thats all it wouldn't bother me if anyone sadi it.

Another one I think is a bit strange..I was in a café in Northern Ireland one time and idly chatting to the owner and I said you are very busy and he said its a bank holiday in the "free state" a lot of people are up for he weekend I have never heard of us being refereed to as the free state.

What do they have for Germany, France, etc? If they use Deutschland, Française, etc then using Éire is correct as they are naming each country in their own first language.

The use English names for other places as in the pic provided of the pennant for the match v Poland earlier this year.

Should that not read Éire v Sasana?...
    No can do as the name of the team / franchise registered with FIFA is the Republic of Ireland. This happened after the FAI split from the IFA (the original organisation). One team named Northern Ireland the other one the Republic of Ireland

mathepac wrote: »
    No can do as the name of the team / franchise registered with FIFA is the Republic of Ireland. This happened after the FAI split from the IFA (the original organisation). One team named Northern Ireland the other one the Republic of Ireland

Well when the FAI present a pennant to their opponents before a senior International it does not say Republic of Ireland, it says Éire.
    That includes all the pennants for World cup Qualifiers and last years Euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Richard wrote: »
    But most English people's accents don't pronounce the r sound when it occurs at the end of a syllabul, so that is normal.

Its strange, because its only something that started to creep in about 5/6 years ago. It got to a stage where it was so bad I stopped watching Sky because it annoyed me so much. Its not as prevalent nowadays though (thank fck)

Well when the FAI present a pennant to their opponents before a senior International it does not say Republic of Ireland, it says Éire.
    That includes all the pennants for World cup Qualifiers and last years Euro's.
    Which is grand but the team is still ''Never never never say no, Urlan' Ulran', Repubalic of Urlan', rev ir up an' here we go''

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think it sound a bit clunky thats all it wouldn't bother me if anyone sadi it.

Another one I think is a bit strange..I was in a café in Northern Ireland one time and idly chatting to the owner and I said you are very busy and he said its a bank holiday in the "free state" a lot of people are up for he weekend I have never heard of us being refereed to as the free state.

that's actually what I hear most people call it, over the age of around 40 though, I didn't want to mention it here as from what I've heard people hate having it called that

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

daheff wrote: »
    Its strange, because its only something that started to creep in about 5/6 years ago. It got to a stage where it was so bad I stopped watching Sky because it annoyed me so much. Its not as prevalent nowadays though (thank fck)

I think it may also be related to the fact that the diction of a depressing number of the presenters on British television became woeful in the last while. I haven't watched tv in months (no freeview/sky) so I can't name any examples of the top of my head, but I remember it bothering me. Allowing for accents, how ****ing difficult is it to pronounce the entirety of a word clearly? One of the ones on the RTE news as been as bad lately too, can't remember who though. One of the blonde ones. (I'm not sure if that narrows it down really.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

...when they're speaking English? I've never heard an Irish person do it, but it seems to be common in the UK. I'm always being asked if I'm 'heading back to Eire' for a weekend and things like that. It sounds weird to me and comes off as really pretentious. Nobody would say 'I had a great week in Deutschland', would they? I've even been corrected when I've said I'm going to Ireland - 'which bit of Ireland? Do you mean Eire?' No, I mean Ireland.

What do you think?

That's a tough one!! it literally depends on what way they say it,,I would know if they where taking the piss(lived there for a number of years) or if they where geuinely being friendly???some Irish guys insist (when asked)that they come from Eire................
    anyway if your sure they'r eh 'winding you up MATE! just reply (in strong cockney accent) fack of mate your havin a LAFF...Then you both can have a good laugh together:) then you can tip on to the airport b4 you miss your 30€ Ryanair flight:D fantastic value......

• Advertisement

Tiroskan wrote: »
    I think it may also be related to the fact that the diction of a depressing number of the presenters on British television became woeful in the last while. I haven't watched tv in months (no freeview/sky) so I can't name any examples of the top of my head, but I remember it bothering me. Allowing for accents, how ****ing difficult is it to pronounce the entirety of a word clearly? One of the ones on the RTE news as been as bad lately too, can't remember who though. One of the blonde ones. (I'm not sure if that narrows it down really.)

I would have taught they thought them better at school.

I would have taught they thought them better at school.

Most English accents, including received pronunciation, are non-rhotic.

Most English accents, including received pronunciation, are non-rhotic.

But which is correct, rhotic or non rhotic.

Does it matter? It would be very dull if we all sounded the same.

• Tiroskan wrote: »

What do you mean? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mike65 wrote: »
    Its the other way round! Scottish notes are not technically legal tender currency (even in Scotland and Norn Iron) - rather they are promissory notes. Which means people who head south with them can find they are refused when offered.

The post you quoted was correct.

BANK OF ENGLAND NOTES:

In England and Wales the £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes are legal tender for payment of any amount. However, they are not legal tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

"legal tender" is not what you mean though, that refers to debt payment. You can accept any payment you want as long as both parties agree.

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines

What do you mean? :confused:
    Wot chew mean then, eh, eh?

Advertisement