Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking Vodafone Galaxy S2

Options
  • 08-05-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

So, here's the story, would love some opinion.

I recently completed my contract with Vodafone, and upgraded to a new Red contract and new phone. I decided I wanted to pass my old Galaxy S2 onto a family member who is on another network, so I made a start on getting the phone unlocked by Vodafone.

I requested the NAC from them, and got it pretty quickly. When I put a non-VF sim into the phone, it immediately asked for the unlock code, which I input, but the phone said that the unlock had been unsuccessful. Thinking I made a typo, I tried again, same result. I got onto VF, and explained the situation, and they said the best thing to do would be to request a new NAC, which they said they would arrange. In the meantime, I raised the issue here on "Talk To > Vodafone", and the rep there asked me for the Firmware version on the phone. I confirmed that, and he came back to say that they have had users who have had problems unlocking their phones on that Firmware revision (interestingly enough, he gave me this information without offering ANY solution or next step. Nothing to do with my question here, just wanted to voice that dissatisfaction with VF Support)

I got back onto support, who are now saying I have to send the phone to FonFix in Dublin to get it unlocked. However, they are also saying that because the phone is out of warranty, I will have to PAY to have it unlocked.

My question is, can VF really charge me to have THEIR lock on MY phone removed?

All comments/feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I rooted and unlocked my S2 on my own. May not be of much help to you if you're unwilling to root but it's another option (and free). Info is freely available through a web search.

Advertisement