Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between horse and common perriwinkle?

• 08-05-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Can somebody tell me the difference between the horse winkle and common winkle...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I only know Edible and Flat Periwinkles. Littorina littorea and L. Littoralis. Google them for pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me the difference between the horse winkle and common winkle...
    horse winkle is higher up the shore than the periwinkle. it is bigger and is brown and spotty.
    Periwinkle tends to be smaller and black. lives in larger clusters than the horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

horse winkel is alot sweeter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I heard you cant eat it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Horse Winkle is not edible. Horse was often used in the past to refer to something being unpleasant, as in Horse Chestnut. Horse Mussels are edible but not as nice by any means as the Common Mussel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement