Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spinners/lures for bass and sea trout

Options
  • 08-05-2013 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

hey all was walking the dog down beside the estuary i live beside and there was fish jumping eveywere,im presuming their sea-trout but have heard there are a lot of bass in there too, i tried various spinners and lures years ago but never got a bite.just wondering what colour ,type of lures/spinners do people use? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭con___manx1

gold mepps with red spots is my for sea trout. you could catch both species on a flying c.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

beano345 wrote: »
    hey all was walking the dog down beside the estuary i live beside and there was fish jumping eveywere,im presuming their sea-trout but have heard there are a lot of bass in there too, i tried various spinners and lures years ago but never got a bite.just wondering what colour ,type of lures/spinners do people use? thanks

Hi, you may already know but you will need a salmon licence if you intend to target sea trout in the sea. Small metal lures and small plugs will do the job. If you drop in to henrys tackle shop the lads in there will kit you out. Helps to have a light rod thats not too stiff and to set the drag light as they are masters at throwing the hooks. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

couldthey be mullet? common fish in estuaries and very difficult to catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

SeaFields wrote: »
    couldthey be mullet? common fish in estuaries and very difficult to catch.

lot of mullet in there too didnt think they jumped though and from what ive seen they dont look like mullet these were coming right out of the water some big ones too,plus local anglers have told me there sea trout and a few have got bass in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Get fishing pal... We have spots like that down ere but the only way of learning is getting out there....

Luring with lures like feed shallows and rapalas would be more effective but for the sea trout smaller spinners are better... 15gram flying c grey colour I find the best or a small sliver Toby for the trout....

The mullet are a serious fish to catch and per baiting them with bread or ragworm is best...

Enjoy the fishing...

• Advertisement

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Get fishing pal... We have spots like that down ere but the only way of learning is getting out there....

Luring with lures like feed shallows and rapalas would be more effective but for the sea trout smaller spinners are better... 15gram flying c grey colour I find the best or a small sliver Toby for the trout....

The mullet are a serious fish to catch and per baiting them with bread or ragworm is best...

Enjoy the fishing...

cheers man im actually thinking of trying for the mullet off the harbour with bread, heard their a great fight,the estusry is a b*stard to fish with spinners and lures because of getting snagged in the mussell beds a bit up further and its sand and not so bad, just waiting for a nice evening now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

If your not bald already you will be soon if you start mullet fishing. Very very frustrating but what a fish to catch. Ive only ever caught a couple but they fight like hell and wont give up easily when hooked.
    Enjoy

.red. wrote: »
    If your not bald already you will be soon if you start mullet fishing. Very very frustrating but what a fish to catch. Ive only ever caught a couple but they fight like hell and wont give up easily when hooked.
    Enjoy

im getting there :pac: seen a few guys landing them in balbriggan harbour while i was working on a roof ,some scrappers they normally follow the boats in to scavenge off whatevers thrown overboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A tasmanian devil is a great lure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 biko666

Dexter wedges and silver on sale john o brians Waterford. Where's thay jumping out of water

• Advertisement

biko666 wrote: »
    Dexter wedges and silver on sale john o brians Waterford. Where's thay jumping out of water

location?

Advertisement