Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immigrants to Britain 1801-1871

• 08-05-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

More good news - an announcement today from the National Archives at Kew:

<08 May 2013

The records of thousands of 19th century immigrants to Britain are now available to search and download online. The collection, which covers the period 1801 to 1871, includes records relating to more than 7,000 people who applied to become British citizens under the 1844 Naturalisation Act, as well as a small number of papers relating to denization, a form of British citizenship that conferred some but not all the rights of a British subject.>

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/840.htm

It's great to see so many records going online in recent years, with many more to come. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I only did a quick search but only see one reference to Ireland. Would this have applied to Irish people given our non-independent status during the 19th century?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

wouldn't apply to people from Ireland - we were part of the UK during the period in question, so didn't count as immigrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

CeannRua wrote: »
    I only did a quick search but only see one reference to Ireland. Would this have applied to Irish people given our non-independent status during the 19th century?

No as shanew says, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has foreign ancestors who came to these shores from other parts of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

mod9maple wrote: »
    No as shanew says, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has foreign ancestors who came to these shores from other parts of Europe.

The reason I commented is your thread title refers to Irish immigrants to Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

CeannRua wrote: »
    The reason I commented is your thread title refers to Irish immigrants to Britain.

My head's frazzled, just a typo, well spotted. Fixed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement