Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker Travel Insurance

Options
  • 08-05-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,

Living in New York. Had an injury at the weekend. Trying to locate an orthopedic surgeons office to have a look at my knee. Does anyone know what the name of the underwriter is for backpackertravelinsurance.ie. Everytime I ring a surgeons office, they ask what insurance have you, and trying to explain to them ' I have Irish travel insurance with backpacker, but they go through ACE euro group, who have a billing address of Global Exel....' they tell me to go away fairly fast.

Is there a clear definitive name I can use when stating what insurance I have? I'm kinda lost here, and backpacker are absolutely useless to talk to on the phone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

In the US, a healthcare provider will be looking for an insurance card.

From backpacker:
    FAQs

General Questions

How Will I receive my Validation Certificate and Policy Cover?

When a purchase is made on this site you will automatically be able to print a formal cover letter, validation certificate and Travel Cover Document. This document is your insurance certificate and it is also automatically sent to your email address. We strongly recommend you bring your travel cover document and validation certificate when you travel.

Based on that, your hopes of not having to initially pay out of pocket are between slim and none.

A local emergency care center will be most affordable, since you'll have to pay out of pocket (initially). Careful though, do some research on picking a reputable one. Pay your bill at the end and submit the receipts to backpacker:
    FAQs

General Questions

How do I make a claim?

You can obtain a claim form from http://www.osgtravelclaims.ie All claims must be reported to OSG Travel claims Tel: 01 2611540. You must enclose all documentation when claiming including your policy document and your Validation cert.

If you can't afford the out of pocket part, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case - medical care is expensive here, then go to the local general hospital. Explain that you can't pay right now, but do have insurance, who will handle payment. I've no doubt that they'll look at your documents and be quite dubious! Regardless, they have to treat you.

Oh, might be a good idea to call OSG. Number in bold, above.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hey Dave, cheers for reply.

I actually went to A&E last night, didnt have to pay anything up front. They took my insurance details and I had a billing address for them as well. They sure as hell wont be getting payment from me anyway.

They referred me to an orthopedic surgeon down the road. Rang him today and she said my insurance wasnt covered by them. But to be honest I didnt really know what name to quote when she asked me.

Its just very annoying trying to get someone on the phone to clearly explain what I'm covered for or who I'm covered to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Did you read the policy document? The number for the medical emergency helpline is in there (Telephone:
    +353 1 4401762)

The helplines will normally have the info needed to local providers and/or be able to liase with the appropriate people

Rang that number and your man on the other end of the line wasnt much use to be honest.
    To be honest I just want to know the name of the insurer to give to the medical offices. So far through emails i've dealt with backpackertravel, ACE insurance, EXEL group and First Assist. If I just had the main name or the underwriter (e.g. AXA, Aviva kind of thing) to quote I'd manage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

ACE European Group are the underwriters/insurance company, if you don't have your policy docs on you you can see them here

http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/common/ACE-Backpackertravelinsurance.ie-2012-2013-V1.pdf

and that's where you'll get info like that

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hope you get your peg sorted soon :) If you feel you're getting nowhere with calling people scroll down to the end of the document for the 'Complaints' contacts

Advertisement