Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you doing after 3rd year?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Just curiose! :p I'm going straight to Ty because
    a) I don't want to finish school at 17.
    b) I want to read alot of books during TY.
    c) I want to improve on subjects.
    d) For the craic.
    e) For the craic again.

So, what are you doing? TY, L.C or L.C.A :p. Please share! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

hahaha (d and (e are true Irish reponses :P

I'm going straight to 5th because I'm gonna go to Med school. I'd rather finish that up earlier :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

TY
    It would be some crack, doss of a year ;)
    But most importantly is because I really need a year where I can make money
    I have an online business and I had to stop it during JC :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

TY
    It would be some crack, doss of a year ;)
    But most importantly is because I really need a year where I can make money
    I have an online business and I had to stop it during JC :(
    Oh cool! What is it?

Oh cool! What is it?

I sell cars, satelite boxes, phones and electric equipment
    It was mostly consumer electronics
    I have a shop on adverts.ie and on ebay
    As well as my own private account on adverts
    I sell cars and satelite boxes, phones on donedeal
    :D

I sell cars, satelite boxes, phones and electric equipment
    It was mostly consumer electronics
    I have a shop on adverts.ie and on ebay
    As well as my own private account on adverts
    I sell cars and satelite boxes, phones on donedeal
    :D
    How the hell does a 15year old kid get his hands on cars? XD

• Advertisement

How the hell does a 15year old kid get his hands on cars? XD

;)
    I do the business and buying my dad does the driving

;)
    I do the business and buying my dad does the driving
    Lucky >.< You wana start a cup cake company? ;) I'll do the baking and you handle all the paper work ;).

Lucky >.< You wana start a cup cake company? ;) I'll do the baking and you handle all the paper work ;).

I actually would love to but there is just one problem
    Do you expect some one to walk in the post office saying
    Hey?
    I would like to post this cupcake to....Galway
    Postman: Yeah sure not a bother
    When sender is gone, postman starts to eat cupcake :D
    I do not know how I would manage to do all paper work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Anyone thinking of doing it should think again. I've never met anyone who's benefited from it. I'm sure the experience varies from school to school but there really is no point in doing it. A year of doing nothing can make you lazy and a higher percentage of students that go through transition year drop out before the leaving cert. Ye be warned.

Marsden wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of doing it should think again. I've never met anyone who's benefited from it. I'm sure the experience varies from school to school but there really is no point in doing it. A year of doing nothing will can make you lazy and a higher percentage of students that go through transition year drop out before the leaving cert. Ye be warned.

A friend of mine
    Did the exact same ''A year of doing nothing will can make you lazy'' in 4th year:
    In the summer tests he failed 3 subjects and got 3Ds and 1C
    Now he is doing his LC and studies like almost every day since 6th year started for him
    and in his mocks he got 560 points
    So.....
    I think you are right that it does varie from school to school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Anyone thinking of doing it should think again. I've never met anyone who's benefited from it. I'm sure the experience varies from school to school but there really is no point in doing it. A year of doing nothing will can make you lazy and a higher percentage of students that go through transition year drop out before the leaving cert. Ye be warned.

Before any third years read the above post and take it seriously, let me remind you that all this poster has given is anecdotal evidence - what I mean is, they're basing their information on their own experiences, so it's not provable unless there's data to back it up. :)

There's great information on this site about TY, no matter what school you go to: http://ty.slss.ie/aboutus.html

I did TY, my sister is a third year planning on doing it and my other sister isn't. They each chose the path that was right for them so I urge you all to figure out if you're a TY person or not.

In my own personal opinion it is really beneficial, the biggest thing being that you grow up during 4th year. You'll notice less bitchiness and fights among your class once TY is over. Sure you get to have lots of fun and make lots of memories but the chance to mature before sitting the LC was the biggest benefit for me. :)

It's not for everyone though, which is why the poster I'm quoting says "A year of doing nothing will can make you lazy and a higher percentage of students that go through transition year drop out before the leaving cert." That's because TY wasn't for them, and they should have skipped it and been out of school faster. Not one single person in my year of 150 dropped out before the LC, plenty skipped TY but none dropped out. This is also my own anecdotal evidence, but it's to help you see that there's two sides to every story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Before any third years read the above post and take it seriously, let me remind you that all this poster has given is anecdotal evidence

This is also my own anecdotal evidence, but it's to help you see that there's two sides to every story. :)

If no one would take me seriously because of anecdotal evidence why would they you seriously?:rolleyes:

The point I made was that transition year isn't for everyone and anyone planning on doing it should consider if its for them. I went to a deprived school which made the year compulsory and subsequently scrapped it due to the high dropout rate. As mentioned before I'm sure experiences vary from school to school, so unless your school has an organized year with career guidance, work experience, trips away and continued educational support, you could be in for a year of mastering paper plane making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

If no one would take me seriously because of anecdotal evidence why would they you seriously?:rolleyes:

The point I made was that transition year isn't for everyone and anyone planning on doing it should consider if its for them. I went to a deprived school which made the year compulsory and subsequently scrapped it due to the high dropout rate. As mentioned before I'm sure experiences vary from school to school, so unless your school has an organized year with career guidance, work experience, trips away and continued educational support, you could be in for a year of mastering paper plane making.

Because you stated it as fact, I pointed out that it's anecdotal. You can't make sweeping statements based on anecdotal evidence, word it as fact and expect to get away with it.

Nowhere did I word my points as fact, and to make sure there was no confusion, I made sure to say it was anecdotal.

There's your difference.

Feel free to continue this in PM if you wish to reply but I'm going to stop posting on this thread for fear of derailing it.

Anyone thinking of doing it should think again. I've never met anyone who's benefited from it. I'm sure the experience varies from school to school but there really is no point in doing it. A year of doing nothing can make you lazy and a higher percentage of students that go through transition year drop out before the leaving cert. Ye be warned.
    But i'm not doing nothing XD. I'm going to improve italian (tutor/grinds) and maths. I'm also going to read every book in my school libiary xD. I'm taking this year as a good chance to prep for the LC :p. and sometimes, maybe I do like a doss year ;).

Advertisement