Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo to road

Options
  • 08-05-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I've had an itb problem for a number of years that has caused me to pull out of way too many races. Last winter I got a coach and he did a great job with me building me up slowly over time. All my training was on the turbo trainer and I had no issues with the IT band. I even did a couple of two and three hour turbo sessions without any issue.

Then I started back on the road a few months ago and straight away I'm back in trouble again and for the past three months I've had constant trouble.

I havnt changed my position from when I was on the turbo so I can't really figure out what the hell is gone wrong. I'm very nearly at the stage where I'm just going to jack in the bike and just swim and run from now on as I can't take many more bouts of injury. It's really pissing me off now and I've tried all sorts, loads of strength and conditioning, stretching, rolling, Physio etc.

Has anyone else had the same problem or have any idea why I'm fine on the turbo but can't hack the road. I'm at the last chance saloon now so would love a bit of advice.

By the way mods I'm not looking for injury prevention advice as I know it's the IT band, I'm just looking to see what the difference in the turbo and the road is. :-)

Thanks
    Leana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

leana wrote: »
    I've had an itb problem for a number of years that has caused me to pull out of way too many races. Last winter I got a coach and he did a great job with me building me up slowly over time. All my training was on the turbo trainer and I had no issues with the IT band. I even did a couple of two and three hour turbo sessions without any issue.

Then I started back on the road a few months ago and straight away I'm back in trouble again and for the past three months I've had constant trouble.

I havnt changed my position from when I was on the turbo so I can't really figure out what the hell is gone wrong. I'm very nearly at the stage where I'm just going to jack in the bike and just swim and run from now on as I can't take many more bouts of injury. It's really pissing me off now and I've tried all sorts, loads of strength and conditioning, stretching, rolling, Physio etc.

Has anyone else had the same problem or have any idea why I'm fine on the turbo but can't hack the road. I'm at the last chance saloon now so would love a bit of advice.

By the way mods I'm not looking for injury prevention advice as I know it's the IT band, I'm just looking to see what the difference in the turbo and the road is. :-)

Thanks
    Leana

Sounds very frustrating. Are u using same bike for both with same cleat positions on shoes? Have u had bike fitted professionally?
    Lot more movement on road compared to turbo.
    I damaged my IT band last year but was opposite could cycle and not run.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

Yep, same bike and shoes Rodney and been professionally fitted aswell. I'm even ready to use a rabbits foot at this stage if it'll work

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you prop the front wheel on the turbo? Your postition can be subtly different on the road vs turbo and as mentioned you get movement and vibration.

Some mad ideas to consider:
    When you descend and freewheel what position is the 'bad' leg in?
    When mounting and dismounting could you be causing strain?
    How tense are you on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Have you have your feet looked at? Im a severe overpronator and wear orthotics and shims in my bike shoes and would have ITB trouble if i didnt

Thanks folks, I was thinking about the over pronation thing alright and it could make sence as I have pretty flat arches. I've ordered a set of cycling orthotics from wiggle last night to see if they work.

I've also been looking at the reviews for a retul bike fit which seems to be really comprehensive. They seem to cover shoes aswell so it might be worth a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you prop the front wheel on the turbo? Your postition can be subtly different on the road vs turbo and as mentioned you get movement and vibration.

Some mad ideas to consider:
    When you descend and freewheel what position is the 'bad' leg in?
    When mounting and dismounting could you be causing strain?
    How tense are you on the bike?

I think the how tense are you on the bike is a good point. also your gearing could be wrong on the road ie you start with a too hard gear off a traffic light or uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

leana wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I was thinking about the over pronation thing alright and it could make sence as I have pretty flat arches. I've ordered a set of cycling orthotics from wiggle last night to see if they work.

I've also been looking at the reviews for a retul bike fit which seems to be really comprehensive. They seem to cover shoes aswell so it might be worth a go.

Retul is just a fitting tool, you can still get a horrific fit with a retul system.

If you are fine on the turbo but not on the road and wear the same shoes on both that doesn't sound right.

Do you wear different shorts on the road?

Same shorts as the trainer. I suppose the reason I'm thinking of trying retul is that I've tried everything else over the past few years to no avail and I said I'd try one more thing before putting the bike on donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

If everything about the bike set up is the same on the road as on the trainer, it must be some other factor that's unmasking the problem.

Cadence? On the road vs on the trainer. I find spinning on the trainer much easier, and still tend to mash a bit on the road.
    Position on the bike? Maybe you unconsciously shift into a slightly different position on the saddle while you're on the road.
    Maybe it's to do with the fact that the bike is pretty fixed in the trainer but more mobile while on the road?

I'm not sure- personally I definitely get another fit, but a fit on a trainer might not reveal much if things are marginally different on the road.

I'm assuming you're absolutely sure it's the IT band. Might be no harm getting a second opinion on that if you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

are you wearing padded leggings over shorts on the road?

Is your bike level when on the turbo (front wheel elevated under a block etc)
    if not then when you are on the road your position will be slightly different , you will be slightly back on the saddle which may cause hip\knee\feet pains and in-turn the IT band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Would a set of resistance rollers help? Movement and resistance in one? Il leave the experts comment on this one.

Advertisement