Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Roof

Options
  • 08-05-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello,

I am building a new kennel block.

I am wondering what would be the best roof material to use on the kennels?

I have read on other sites, mainly UK, where they use an insulted roofing material to prevent condensation? I wonder what the Irish alternative would be to this?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

I used pvc coated sheets that have a covering on one side to prevent condensation. They are a great job especially with a clear sheet in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Thanks Vapour Trail, what make are they, where did you get them and what price were they if you don't mind me asking?

Is it insulation on one side or what does it look like?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Tegral do a non drip sheeting

http://www.tegral.com/index.php?page=ConDri2

Theres multiple styles. I think the one I have is box profile. Its green and fairly thin but very strong. It was €22 for 1m x 3m and €32 for the clear sheet. Its pricy but I have it done nearly 4 years and it hasnt aged or anything !

There is a very very thin layer of material stuck to one side (the under side) its an anti condensation layer.

You can get it at any builders providers yard its fairly commmon

http://www.shannonsidegalv.com/clad-drop.php

Thanks lads, do you find the clear sheet, creates a greenhouse effect, would it get too hot for the dogs on a sunny day?

Thanks again,

• Advertisement

Not at all, I find the light getting in is a good thing for them and theres good circulation so it cant get too hot. My lads are only in it from dark till first light or if I need to leave the gate open for some reason.

Thanks Vapour, what size did you make your kennels, do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Cork Rebel wrote: »
    Thanks Vapour, what size did you make your kennels, do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Its 9ftx9ft and 8ft high . Ill try get a pic and upload it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Go to you local builders providers or steel suppliers and see if they have (seconds) maybe scratched or corners bent. You looking for none drip corrigated sheeted either box profile or round profile. I built my kennels lately, two kennels/runs both kennels are 5' 5" wide and 3' long with the door opening 600mm. The run then is 8' long. I put in a raised bed about 18 inches off the ground for sleeping. I have one clearlight sheet in the middle of both kennels about 13inches each side to be exact, thats loads of light because i have a pophole in the door which lets in light too and air. Im in the middle of finishing off the front for kennel 2 and putting in a wash drain now too.

IMAG0744.jpg
    IMAG0738.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0749.jpg

Thanks fiestaman, I like your set up, where did you get the gates and panels?

Are the raised beds concrete/blocks, what will you put under the dogs for sleeping?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Cork Rebel wrote: »
    Thanks fiestaman, I like your set up, where did you get the gates and panels?

Are the raised beds concrete/blocks, what will you put under the dogs for sleeping?

Thanks,

I made them meself. What i done was screwed 4x2 to the wall in the kennel
    Up around 18" off the ground. Hard to explain but basically if you look inside that kennel door to the left theres 3 walls in a U shape if you understand me, i put the 4x2 on each wall. Then i made a box the same size, its just a base with 6" sides so as dog not lying against the wall & that then can be slid in on the 4x2 rail. Il get a pic but it could be 2 days.

Advertisement