Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The RS seems to sounds pretty nice alright, but basing it on whats picked up through a mic will never give a good representation. My Cooper S sounded pretty nice, as does my buddies Astra OPC (previous gen) although it could be said that the both (the Mini to a lesser extent) were just loud more so then having a nice sound. Both of them are stock but were fairly loud near the top end, the OPC in the Jack Lynch Tunnel is pretty cool!

Cant beat the pops and bangs! The Jag F-Type stepped the game up big time!!!

Plenty of pops and bangs (if that's your thing) in a Focus RS (depending on mode).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The RS seems to sounds pretty nice alright, but basing it on whats picked up through a mic will never give a good representation. My Cooper S sounded pretty nice, as does my buddies Astra OPC (previous gen) although it could be said that the both (the Mini to a lesser extent) were just loud more so then having a nice sound. Both of them are stock but were fairly loud near the top end, the OPC in the Jack Lynch Tunnel is pretty cool!

Cant beat the pops and bangs! The Jag F-Type stepped the game up big time!!!

Plenty of pops and bangs (if that's your thing) in a Focus RS (depending on mode).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

12 seconds in to that video and looks like turbo/stem seal issues, bad news if it is, what with not even on road yet.

Tyre change on the FST today. Fronts were worn down to the wear guides after 18.5k miles (which is pretty decent). The rears are hardly worn at all.

I bought Avon ZZ5's (upgraded ZZ3's) because of this:-

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Ford/fiesta-st.htm

Seemed a good choice all things considered. €95 a corner fitted.

I wanted to put the new tyres on the back, but the fitter explained it's a pain when the tyre pressure system is in use.

In any event the grip is much improved. I adjusted the tyre pressures down to 36psi, and it all feels great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Why does the tyre pressure system impact putting them on the back?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Why does the tyre pressure system impact putting them on the back?

No idea. Are the wheels paired to an individual sensor maybe?

Most cars tyre pressure monitoring don't actual monitor the tyre pressure. They check for difference in speed of each wheel and this flags a flat tyre. Some cars do have the actual tyre pressure monitors in the wheels where you can check the pressure in each wheel via the on board computer, but this is quite rare. I would imagine they were just being lazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread but i am a hot hatch enthusiast myself. Does anyone know if ford do used car pcp? Spotted a focus st in cork and was wondering. Generally don't hold on to cars longer than around 3 years and don't do a lot of mileage. Currently driving a mk6 gti which i love. Was also considering a new gti in pcp so if anyone has done a deal on these could you please advise on rates/monthly payments etc... i hate contacting dealers asking these questions cos i feel like I'm wasting their time if i don't follow up with a purchase

Most cars tyre pressure monitoring don't actual monitor the tyre pressure. They check for difference in speed of each wheel and this flags a flat tyre. Some cars do have the actual tyre pressure monitors in the wheels where you can check the pressure in each wheel via the on board computer, but this is quite rare. I would imagine they were just being lazy?

Maybe not?

http://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/topic/202794-do-i-have-tyre-pressure-monitoring/page-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Naaaah, the tyre pressure sensors are built into the abs system and use the rolling radius of the wheel to detect loss in pressures. Swapping front to back should be no issue at all, you just need to reset the sensors afterwards, which you should do anyway!
    Sounds like the tyre fitter couldn't be arsed / didn't know any different.

Edit: maybe ford's system is different to most other cars then, judging by that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

2016 Ford Fiesta ST M-Sport Edition review in Autocar today.

Sounds like the fitter knew his stuff then so!

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread but i am a hot hatch enthusiast myself. Does anyone know if ford do used car pcp? Spotted a focus st in cork and was wondering. Generally don't hold on to cars longer than around 3 years and don't do a lot of mileage. Currently driving a mk6 gti which i love. Was also considering a new gti in pcp so if anyone has done a deal on these could you please advise on rates/monthly payments etc... i hate contacting dealers asking these questions cos i feel like I'm wasting their time if i don't follow up with a purchase

On a new GTI you should get 2/3k off list price if buying straight, and I believe PCP rate is currently 0% but there may be conditions associated with that rate. Another poster mentioned he was offered strong trade in allowance on his mk5 gti in another thread so best to go in to VW and ask about your own. Also do the same with Ford if you like the ST. You are not wasting their time, it's part of the buying process.:)

On a new GTI you should get 2/3k off list price if buying straight, and I believe PCP rate is currently 0% but there may be conditions associated with that rate. Another poster mentioned he was offered strong trade in allowance on his mk5 gti in another thread so best to go in to VW and ask about your own. Also do the same with Ford if you like the ST. You are not wasting their time, it's part of the buying process.:)
    Do you know if ford dealers offer pcp on used cars? It's a 142 st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

From personal experience I found the dealer in Lissarda the best and easiest to deal with when I was thinking of going for a Golf.
    When looking at the focus/Fiesta the attitude was that if you have anything slightly different to trade then they were offering way to low in value and using the "wouldnt be a big market" for it excuse,probably better off to sell it yourself.
    I wouldnt worry one bit about wasting their time tbh,its their job to sell to you and they dont worry about bombarding you with follow up calls when you show an interest in something(one in particular put me right off ever dealing with them due to constant calls).

• Advertisement

No idea regarding PCP on used Ford, a phone call will soon tell you though. If you are trading in and doing PCP, I would imagine a new GTi won't be far off the 2nd hand ST. VW will prob give you a better trade in value as mentioned above (Ford also offered me silly money for my Golf when I asked about changing to a Ford).

VW do PCP on 2nd hand cars but the rate is worse, so maybe the same for Ford. 0% finance and better trade in allowance could be a good few €k euro!

No idea regarding PCP on used Ford, a phone call will soon tell you though. If you are trading in and doing PCP, I would imagine a new GTi won't be far off the 2nd hand ST. VW will prob give you a better trade in value as mentioned above (Ford also offered me silly money for my Golf when I asked about changing to a Ford).

VW do PCP on 2nd hand cars but the rate is worse, so maybe the same for Ford. 0% finance and better trade in allowance could be a good few €k euro!

Swings and roundabouts surely?

ST models have pretty substantial discounts off the list price don't forget.

But those discounts apply to anyone. This potential buyer's circumstance is finance and trading in a mk6 Gti. Both of which VW will offer better value on based on 0% finance, and I suspect stronger trade in allowance. I am not trying to get him to buy a VW as without being rude, it has no bearing on me what car they buy, nor do I want to start comparing a Golf/Focus.

If it was me, I would test drive both. No point talking numbers if you really dislike one of them after a test drive.

Assuming both test drives are good, then start negotiating. Forget finance numbers to start and get a cost to change into both. Compare that with the difference in the straight price for each car (For the GTi this should be about 2500-3000 below retail price, not sure on Focus) and this will give you the real trade in allowance they are giving you.

Then factor in total cost of finance over the term.

Weigh it all up, then pick one because you like the colour and the fancy cupholders :)

Focus ST 2016 discount is still pretty big. €8000 or so. Available to anyone.

Focus ST 2016 discount is still pretty big. €8000 or so. Available to anyone.

I'm certain at least one or two people here enquired about those discounts and they didn't really apply unless your trade in was worthless or you were buying straight.

I'd also be a bit apprehensive about residuals on a car that's discounted 8 grand from the off.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'm certain at least one or two people here enquired about those discounts and they didn't really apply unless your trade in was worthless or you were buying straight.

I'd also be a bit apprehensive about residuals on a car that's discounted 8 grand from the off.

Deep discounts can be had across the ST range. Sure it's messing with residuals but within reason who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Naaaah, the tyre pressure sensors are built into the abs system and use the rolling radius of the wheel to detect loss in pressures. Swapping front to back should be no issue at all, you just need to reset the sensors afterwards, which you should do anyway!
    Sounds like the tyre fitter couldn't be arsed / didn't know any different.

Edit: maybe ford's system is different to most other cars then, judging by that link.

I know the VAG setup is off the ABS. I got a few tyre pressure flags in the Leon when it was moving around the (closed) road. The first time it happened, I rang the dealer to get it checked out. The dealer told me it happens when the car goes sideways and there's different rotation speeds across the axle. The cure is to stop steering with the brake pedal and back off the loud pedal! (Damn him for knowing I was using it as a course car at a rally) It doesn't like when the car goes sideways......

Aw I have too much time on my hands.....

Just priced a GTI and ST. Both white, manual, 5 door with cruise/rear view camera/nav and keyless entry.

ModelST2Body style5-doorEngine & Transmission2.0 Ecoboost 250PS M6
    Colour
    Frozen White
    Standard
    Trim
    1/2 Lth/Red
    Standard
    ExtrasFord Navigation
    Additional €950 Cruise Control including ASLD
    Additional €420 Rear View Camera
    Additional €240 Keyless Entry/Start
    Additional €550
    Base Price €39,200
    Total added features €2,160
    Total Price€41,360

2016 Real Deal Savings - €7,750

Total after real deal - €33,610

Golf GTI 2.0 TSI BlueMotion Technology 162 kW (220 HP) 6- speed Manual

My configuration
    Total price € 37,636.61
    Base price € 37,135
    My selections € 501.61

Based on discount of €2750 which is realistic final price is €34,886.61

Both those prices exclude delivery

So Gti is 35k and ST is 33.5k

0% finance on Gti vs 3.9% from what I can see on the Focus. That difference will make the Focus slightly more expensive from the start depending on how much you finance. Rough guess for the cost of finance though would be €2k.

So both cars are roughly the same to buy. Depreciation then must be considered but that can be crystal ball stuff as basing future value of a new car on current 2nd hand prices is not going to be accurate. The market is strong now for 2nd hand motors, in three years they will not be holding their value as well. Simply because of supply and demand. Few GTi and ST models sold in 2013 compared with 2016 so be wary of that. Historically VW hold their value better but who knows what the future holds.

As for the decision then, it's really down to which you like better if buying new. The 2nd hand ST could be great value though if you like it and the price is right :)

You'll never replicate a spec. 100%, nor is it that important imho.

The Focus has a lot more bhp/€ and in this class that counts.

Jaysus,

I'm only trying to compare apples with apples as best I can to show a comparison. There is ~10% difference in power/euro which I think to most people is negligible unless you're into pub talk stats. Speaking of which:

ACCELERATION Focus Golf
    0–30 MPH 2.2 sec 2.4 sec
    0–60 MPH 5.7 sec 5.6 sec
    0–100 MPH 14.7 sec 14.2 sec
    0–110 MPH 17.8 sec 17.4 sec
    ¼-MILE @ MPH 14.4 sec @ 99 14.2 sec @ 100
    ROLLING START, 5–60 MPH 6.3 sec 6.3 sec
    TOP GEAR, 30–50 MPH 7.7 sec 8.0 sec
    TOP GEAR, 50–70 MPH 6.3 sec 6.8 sec
    TOP SPEED 148 mph (drag ltd) 153 mph (drag ltd, mfr's claim)

I get that you like your Fords, and this is a Ford thread. I am being as objective as possible.

Jaysus,

I'm only trying to compare apples with apples as best I can to show a comparison. There is ~10% difference in power/euro which I think to most people is negligible unless you're into pub talk stats. Speaking of which:

ACCELERATION Focus Golf
    0–30 MPH 2.2 sec 2.4 sec
    0–60 MPH 5.7 sec 5.6 sec
    0–100 MPH 14.7 sec 14.2 sec
    0–110 MPH 17.8 sec 17.4 sec
    ¼-MILE @ MPH 14.4 sec @ 99 14.2 sec @ 100
    ROLLING START, 5–60 MPH 6.3 sec 6.3 sec
    TOP GEAR, 30–50 MPH 7.7 sec 8.0 sec
    TOP GEAR, 50–70 MPH 6.3 sec 6.8 sec
    TOP SPEED 148 mph (drag ltd) 153 mph (drag ltd, mfr's claim)

I get that you like your Fords, and this is a Ford thread. I am being as objective as possible.

10% is significant though.

Deep discounts can be had across the ST range. Sure it's messing with residuals but within reason who cares?

People who get large Ford family discounts certainly don't,clearly, but most others do care - a lot!. I accompanied my sister car shopping recently. She had a 132 Fiesta to trade. Every dealer (incl Ford) were offering her peanuts for the Fiesta - because the new Fiestas are so heavily discounted. This meant she had virtually no equity in her car.

10% is significant though.

If you say so. By the way, some manufactures are more reserved with the power ratings on their cars than others. If you look at those Vbox times for both cars, they are practically the same. Differences in the Ford being fast for some and the Golf fast in others is down probably down to gearing and if a gear change was needed.

By the way I found this on a Focus ST forum:
    http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-vs-competition/34049-mk7-vw-gti-lying-through-s-grill.html

JoeA3 wrote:
    People who get large Ford family discounts certainly don't,clearly, but most others do care - a lot!. I accompanied my sister car shopping recently. She had a 132 Fiesta to trade. Every dealer (incl Ford) were offering her peanuts for the Fiesta - because the new Fiestas are so heavily discounted. This meant she had virtually no equity in her car.

Concentrate on the cost to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

If you say so. By the way, some manufactures are more reserved with the power ratings on their cars than others. If you look at those Vbox times for both cars, they are practically the same. Differences in the Ford being fast for some and the Golf fast in others is down probably down to gearing and if a gear change was needed.

By the way I found this on a Focus ST forum:
    http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-vs-competition/34049-mk7-vw-gti-lying-through-s-grill.html

Agreed, I dont believe the MK7 GTI is only 220 bhp since its running the same times through the range as the ST which has an extra 10%/€. VW probably under-rated it to keep it a bit shy of the R. I would say IMO the ST looks and sounds more like a hot hatch, the GTI is a bit bland for my taste

To the person that asked abut the 142 ST, I'm guessing its the Spirit Blue one in CAB? That car was bought before the real deal €8k discount, so either CAB have knocked a chunk off the price and accepted they'll lose their arse on it or you can do nearly as good a deal on a 161!

Its also not exactly in the best condition tbh, couple of bangs and scratches on it that would bother me for such a low miler. Nothing extreme but still. I don't know what they're asking for it but I dont doubt you could do nearly as good a deal with the 8000 discount (Might be down to low 7 thousands now, was 8 in January)

• Advertisement

Concentrate on the cost to change.

LOL, thanks for the car purchasing lessons.

We did exactly that. Unless she was buying another Ford (which she didn't want to do), the cost to change to every other marque was significantly more than she had anticipated.

In other news, theres a scratch on my car :mad::mad:

Its only about an inch long but it might as well be a mile! Im gonna get it detailed in the coming weeks, Im guessing theyll be able to sort it??

Its only about an inch long but it might as well be a mile! Im gonna get it detailed in the coming weeks, Im guessing theyll be able to sort it??

Ouch. The first one is always the worst! Is it deep, can you feel it with your fingernail? If you can't, then a machine polish will take it out. If it's deeper and it bothers you enough, more drastic action may be needed unfortunately.

Rod Stewart springs to mind there joe

Ouch. The first one is always the worst! Is it deep, can you feel it with your fingernail? If you can't, then a machine polish will take it out. If it's deeper and it bothers you enough, more drastic action may be needed unfortunately.

Its white so Im guessing its through all the layers of paint to the primer, really noticeable? And yea I can stick my nail into it :( Its on the drivers door so I see it every time I look at the car so Ill have to get something done about it. Would I be best off approaching a detailer, Ford dealer, crash repair or...?

Didnt even make it to 1500 kms, Im guessing it was someone brushing past it with a bag or similar based on the height. FFS :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Disaster :(

I thought I had one on my front bumper down by the fog light but it turned out was a bit of twine about curled up.

Hope ya get it sorted, in the colour, any little blemish will show up too.

If you're getting it detailed anyway, ask them first to have a look but from your description it's gonna need paint. Reputable body shop would be my first call, not the dealer. Hope ye get sorted and it doesn't cost too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If the detailer is good, then you may only need a touch up pen to sort it out reasonably well. The detailer can layer the touch pen into the scratch and then polish it flat. Should sort it out if it's about as big as you describe.

Its white so Im guessing its through all the layers of paint to the primer, really noticeable? And yea I can stick my nail into it :( Its on the drivers door so I see it every time I look at the car so Ill have to get something done about it. Would I be best off approaching a detailer, Ford dealer, crash repair or...?

Didnt even make it to 1500 kms, Im guessing it was someone brushing past it with a bag or similar based on the height. FFS :mad:

Well in a way you're lucky it's white. I personally found white very forgiving compared to dark metallics, marks, stone chips and small blemishes don't show up as much.

If you're getting it detailed soon, I would recommend you ask the detailer to look at it first. In the meantime, get yourself an official touch up repair kit from the Ford dealers (usually comes in a pack with 2 small bottles - one paint and the other is lacquer) and give that to the detailer. He should be able to make a far better job of touching it up than you or I could ever manage and then he can machine polish over it. With a bit of luck, that'll improve it significantly.

If it's still really obvious, then you're only option is a localised "smart" paint repair.

Don't bother asking the dealers about it - they'll either do nothing at all or make it worse.

And (voice of experience here).... you will eventually forget it's there. Sods law you'll pick up a bad stone chip or kerb one of the alloys and that'll divert your attention from the current crisis!

• Advertisement

Well in a way you're lucky it's white. I personally found white very forgiving compared to dark metallics, marks, stone chips and small blemishes don't show up as much.

I think he was talking about the scratch itself as showing as white. :( His car is Spirit Blue from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I've about 5 stone chips on the front of mine already, the joys of living up narrow ****ty country roads, the paint seems very thin on these, have a touch up kit ordered.

Agreed, I dont believe the MK7 GTI is only 220 bhp since its running the same times through the range as the ST which has an extra 10%/€. VW probably under-rated it to keep it a bit shy of the R. I would say IMO the ST looks and sounds more like a hot hatch, the GTI is a bit bland for my taste

To the person that asked abut the 142 ST, I'm guessing its the Spirit Blue one in CAB? That car was bought before the real deal €8k discount, so either CAB have knocked a chunk off the price and accepted they'll lose their arse on it or you can do nearly as good a deal on a 161!

Its also not exactly in the best condition tbh, couple of bangs and scratches on it that would bother me for such a low miler. Nothing extreme but still. I don't know what they're asking for it but I dont doubt you could do nearly as good a deal with the 8000 discount (Might be down to low 7 thousands now, was 8 in January)

Thanks for the info. That's a no no for me so with dings and scratches. I'm a detailing addict so that would annoy the hell out of me on a car which has such low mileage. Pity. ....it's a good looker and I've never had an st so i was wondering about the change from the gti.

Thanks for the info. That's a no no for me so with dings and scratches. I'm a detailing addict so that would annoy the hell out of me on a car which has such low mileage. Pity. ....it's a good looker and I've never had an st so i was wondering about the change from the gti.

Get a Mk2 Focus ST if you want to really see what an ST is about. :D

dar83 wrote: »
    Get a Mk2 Focus ST if you want to really see what an ST is about. :D

Great cars with an intoxicating soundtrack. Hard to believe it's 10 years since had mine.

dar83 wrote: »
    I think he was talking about the scratch itself as showing as white. :( His car is Spirit Blue from what I remember.

Ahhhh, I mis-read it!
    Yep, if it's showing as white then it's down to the primer and the only thing that will sort it out is paint. Whether that's a local touch up with a brush (where you could easily make it look much worse) or a more professional (costly) job.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Disaster :(

I thought I had one on my front bumper down by the fog light but it turned out was a bit of twine about curled up.

Hope ya get it sorted, in the colour, any little blemish will show up too.
    Yea aside from black it must be the worst colour to show up scratches!
    If you're getting it detailed anyway, ask them first to have a look by from your description it's gonna need paint. Reputable body shop would be my first call, not the dealer. Hope ye get sorted and it doesn't cost too much.

Id say itll need paint alright! Muct track down a decent place to have a look so :rolleyes: Might start witht he place Gav got his ST detailed cause I was gonna get it done anyway...

Ahhhh, I mis-read it!
    Yep, if it's showing as white then it's down to the primer and the only thing that will sort it out is paint. Whether that's a local touch up with a brush (where you could easily make it look much worse) or a more professional (costly) job.
    Oh yea sorry, I meant the scratch is white so has gone all the way through the paint... Wouldnt go near it myself tbh, I cant even paint a wall let alone a car! Id definitely make a balls if it!

I see your point of getting one fixed and another poping up so maybe ill leave it for a while and ill probably forget about it. I think its worse cause its my first scratch on my first new car! My other cars have been used to come with battle scars of a few years on the road... Ill mention it to the detailer anyway and see what they make of it. Bit of a pain in the ass all the same :o

Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I know the feeling but its almost inevitable in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yea aside from black it must be the worst colour to show up scratches!

Id say itll need paint alright! Muct track down a decent place to have a look so :rolleyes: Might start witht he place Gav got his ST detailed cause I was gonna get it done anyway...

I got the car detailed in D & D detailing, up by Blackpool. Dont think they do paint or any touch ups though.

Ive a mate that works for his father in laws crash repair company up the northside too and I got my OPC bumper re-sprayed there as well as wheels done up there and they were faultless, ya can PM for detaills, dont want to be shilling Mods. :o

I would get it done by a professional though, I'd go back to Ford see how much they quote ya and then price around on the back of their quote.

It's not that difficult to fill in a small scratch yourself, but what I would advise is to not use the applicator that comes with the Ford touch up kit. Instead get a cocktail stick and use that. You'll be able to get the point of it right into the scratch and just run it along it a few times (with some drying time in between). Just make sure not to have too much paint on the stick and if it runs/marks anywhere outside of the scratch remove it instantly with a petrol/spirits damped microfibre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement