Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

To illustrate that a little more....these are base prices before any additions.

Focus RS UK£31000 IRE€52600
    Focus ST 22750*1 39200*2
    Golf GTI 27495 36515
    Golf R 31685 43285

*1 ST1 - not available in Ireland
    *2 ST2 - deep discounts apply here

Golf GTI PP (220ps) costs €37860 list here for a 3 door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

GTI PP is 230ps. ;) :P </pedant>

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

dar83 wrote: »
    It did to a certain extent to me, when I was in the market. But then again the package being offered by VW as standard on a GTI kicks lumps out of what you get for your money from Ford. So once you spec an ST up to what you get in a GTI as standard, you're already talking R money and once that happens it's a no brainer really.

Alternatively, had anyone in the Ford garages I spoke to told me to hold off a few months (I bought in Sept) and that Ford Ireland may actually be cooking up something a bit special on the pricing of the ST here, I probably would have done so and be driving a 161 ST right now. But who knows if they even knew themselves at that stage what was planned, I find it hard to believe none of them would though...

Buying new comes down to the financial side as much as the desirability side and in the hot hatch market it's hard for anything to beat the Golf for that. One thing I am delighted with is that I didn't buy an ST last September, as I would have been royally shafted by Ford only 2-3 months later had I done so. I'd probably genuinely consider an RS as my step if Ford Ireland hadn't priced them so ridiculously over here. VRT doesn't even cover the actual mark up on them compared to the UK, so I'm not sure what actually does. Hearing that sales figures are still in single digits confirms that to me and for the car it is, that's actually really sad. It deserves to be up there with the Golf R in terms of road numbers and it's most definitely the better package in my opinion (as a fast Ford fan) and one I would love, if spec'ing one properly didn't amount to 60k.

Now that's the $64 question - I wonder what are the before tax prices of the Focus RS both here and in the UK?

I'd actually be a bit surprised (and unhappy) if Ford Ireland tried to cash in, as in general pre tax prices in Ireland are the same or less than those in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Dont forget most UK cars were purchased pre 31k prices so at 29k and then 30k. My base price was 30k
    To illustrate that a little more....these are base prices before any additions.

Focus RS UK£31000 IRE€52600
    Focus ST 22750*1 39200*2
    Golf GTI 27495 36515
    Golf R 31685 43285

*1 ST1 - not available in Ireland
    *2 ST2 - deep discounts apply here

Golf GTI PP (220ps) costs €37860 list here for a 3 door.

GTI PP is 230ps. ;) :P </pedant>

I actually got the figure from the VW website (220ps).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The GTI PP is being replaced by the clubsport.
    They are 265ps with overboost to 290

The Irish one? I think that's possibly because the GTI P is no more over here, they only sell the base GTI now (and the Clubsport, which replaced the GTI P).

The standard GTI is 162kW/220ps and the GTI P is 170kW/230ps.

The Irish one? I think that's possibly because the GTI P is no more over here, they only sell the base GTI now (and the Clubsport, which replaced the GTI P).

The standard GTI is 162kW/220ps and the GTI P is 170kW/230ps.

They'd want to update their website :D

http://app.volkswagen.ie/ihdcc/en/configurator.html#30300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The VW website is pants, do not rely on it for any accuracy regarding spec or prices. This PDF however is bang up to date, as far as I know: http://www.volkswagen.ie/content/medialib/vwd4/ie/pdf-downloads/model-range-price-list/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.download_attachment.file/160316as_volkswagen-model-range-pricelist.pdf

The GTI PP is no more. So it's:
    GTI 220bhp
    GTI Clubsport 265-290bhp
    R 300 bhp.

And there's only about 500 euro between the CS and the R.

And at the risk of upsetting Henry, the Ford website is absolutely sh1t too...

They would indeed! You can see there clicking on either GTI, it remains at 220ps. Looks like they just haven't updated the configurator with the Clubsport yet, but have somewhat removed some of the GTI P specific information from it, but not entirely. Odd. :)

As an aside and just for curiosity. Around about how much would an RS cost OTR with the employee discount etc... ?

• Advertisement

You can see there clicking on either GTI, it remains at 220ps. Looks like they just haven't updated the configurator with the Clubsport yet, but have somewhat removed some of the GTI P specific information from it, but not entirely. Odd. :)

The configurator has never been remotely accurate so they're unlikely to break that habit anytime soon.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The configurator has never been remotely accurate so they're unlikely to break that habit anytime soon.

Hey, I'm still somewhat in shock at the fact they've managed an in-context image of the car that updates as you go through your choices. That in itself has probably had the IT guys on a reward holiday since implemented. :D

Hey, I'm still somewhat in shock at the fact they've managed an in-context image of the car that updates as you go through your choices. That in itself has probably had the IT guys on a reward holiday since implemented. :D

:pac:
    As an IT geek myself, it's frustrating that many of the manufacturers can't be bothered with doing that stuff properly. It can only mean one thing - they don't believe it's worth the investment.

Crikey - A discounted Focus ST suddenly looks like decent value against a Golf GTI CS at €44375.

I reckon you could get a new Focus ST on the road for maybe €35000.

Having said that a Golf R looks like relatively good value too.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    :pac:
    As an IT geek myself, it's frustrating that many of the manufacturers can't be bothered with doing that stuff properly. It can only mean one thing - they don't believe it's worth the investment.

It realistically isn't for them. Until the day a dealership becomes only a servicing department and a shop floor (a la Tesla), then there is no reason for them to change from the brochures and paper documents as that's what people going to a showroom will want/expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Crikey - A discounted Focus ST suddenly looks like decent value against a Golf GTI CS at €44375.

I reckon you could get a new Focus ST on the road for maybe €35000.

Having said that a Golf R looks like relatively good value too.

I was in a SEAT dealer (getting a job done on the Leon) and looked at a Leon Cupra 290PS with DSG. List price was €40k and with one or two options was €42k. That price makes the Golf R look like good value. That matches the list price of a ST but no discounts were applied. If I was changing, I'd only look at the price to change so the "discount" applied by the dealer when i was trading in.

Did Ford improve the space in the front of the Focus when they facelifted it? The centre console in the pre facelift one robbed a load of space.

ianobrien wrote: »
    I was in a SEAT dealer (getting a job done on the Leon) and looked at a Leon Cupra 290PS with DSG. List price was €40k and with one or two options was €42k. That price makes the Golf R look like good value. That matches the list price of a ST but no discounts were applied. If I was changing, I'd only look at the price to change so the "discount" applied by the dealer when i was trading in.

Did Ford improve the space in the front of the Focus when they facelifted it? The centre console in the pre facelift one robbed a load of space.

From memory the current Focus is ok space wise up front.

The Seat is in my view a Spanish Skoda. Only slightly lower rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

First service is due at 20k kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

hooch-85 wrote: »
    First service is due at 20k kms.

20k kms or 12 months according to the little card in the window of mine. I'm only half way there so far...

• Advertisement

Just about to tick over 24k bought on 4th January. I probably should have bought a diesel!

testicles wrote: »

Mine is pretty much the same, I wonder what the residuals will be like after 3 years if the car has 80-100kms up though.

First service was €200, I tried a few dealers in the area and you may be able to save €20 going elsewhere but they are all around the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just a shade under 14k, bought on 4th January too. 3 larger journeys, Shannon Airport, Cork-Wexford and onto Dublin and a blast around Killarney, Healys pass with 2 or 3 buddies. Still love the car though but my driving is mostly up and down to work about an 8km round journey so the MPG I'm getting is about 31/32.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just a shade under 14k, bought on 4th January too. 3 larger journeys, Shannon Airport, Cork-Wexford and onto Dublin and a blast around Killarney, Healys pass with 2 or 3 buddies. Still love the car though but my driving is mostly up and down to work about an 8km round journey so the MPG I'm getting is about 31/32.

I got mine mid February, Did one cork - Galway - Dublin - Cork journey and one Dublin and back journey. So my usual weekly mileage is very low compared to you folks!

200 seems reasonable for a service? Is that in a main dealer? I wont be making it to 20,000 before a year is up methinks!

MPG is probably around the same as yourself but havent checked in ages cause l/100km means nothing to me! I should probably just change it to display MPG

Yeah that was in the main dealer, first service is really only an oil & filter change with a pollen filter with vehicle health check. I thought it was enough tbh, VW do that service for 129 on their GTi and even the R. Was told the ST models are outside the standard servicing prices.

The second service will be a nice bit more i'd imagine but i guess one has to go main dealer for warranty purposes.

Yeah that was in the main dealer, first service is really only an oil & filter change with a pollen filter with vehicle health check. I thought it was enough tbh, VW do that service for 129 on their GTi and even the R. Was told the ST models are outside the standard servicing prices.

The second service will be a nice bit more i'd imagine but i guess one has to go main dealer for warranty purposes.

Ugh yea that does sound saucy enough tbf for oil and filters and a tire kick... :rolleyes: Best to keep the ford warrenty going I spose.

Is anyone through a set of tires yet?

Changed my fronts at 12.5k kms. Went for Kumho Ecsta as replacements and would rate them better than the bridgestones, seem to be wearing much better too.

• Advertisement

Ugh yea that does sound saucy enough tbf for oil and filters and a tire kick... :rolleyes: Best to keep the ford warrenty going I spose.

Is anyone through a set of tires yet?

42mpg average from new, with quick N road and motorway use. Very little urban stuff.

Service on the last car was €160 from main dealer. Car doesn't qualify for fixed menu stuff.

I put a set of front tyres on the last car too. They weren't bad price wise - under €100 a corner fitted iirc. Avon ZZ3's. Very good overall.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Ford/fiesta-st.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

What is the road noise like on the Kumho tyres? I had Ecstas on a Scirocco and found them quite loud. My tyres only have 8k kms on them and look pretty new still but I was planning to change around the 12k km mark to Pilot Sports.

No worse than the bridgestones to be honest. Better wet grip and similar in the dry. Pilot Sports are probably superior tyre but they are a good bit more expensive. Hope to try them at some stage though. The new PS4 isn't available in the stock ST size and was told they might never be made as it's not a popular size any more (205/40/17). PS3s are available alright.

Looks like the 5 door ST is coming to the UK, should be available here too

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-fiesta-st-five-door-launched-uk

Looks good as a 5 door, probably would've gone that route if Id had the chance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Why now when the car is due to be replaced soon?

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Why now when the car is due to be replaced soon?

You'd wonder why. I'd say they won't be replacing the ST for a while yet even though a new Fiesta is due soon. The MK7 came out in 09 but the ST didn't appear until 2013.

You'd wonder why. I'd say they won't be replacing the ST for a while yet even though a new Fiesta is due soon. The MK7 came out in 09 but the ST didn't appear until 2013.

I suppose that and the fact it already existed in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd take the 5 door if it was available here.

Any idea when/if the five door will make an appearance in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any idea when/if the five door will make an appearance in Ireland?

"Year End" for launch I was told by the support chat on Ford.ie. Easier than actually trying to get any useful info out of a dealer/salesman anyway!

(It is still to be seen if they lied to me or not, but they were quick enough answer and credited their marketing department for the info)

Hopefully they will accompany it with a deal :)

Fingers crossed, I want to get my missus in one. :D

They have a Fiesta ST-Line on their configurator with 5 door but it is only 100bhp 1.0 engine :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

You lucky bastid! Report back with an update and pictures. Did you go for the upgraded recaros? What colour exterior?

I've just put a couple of pics in the car photo thread.

Mc Love wrote: »
    They have a Fiesta ST-Line on their configurator with 5 door but it is only 100bhp 1.0 engine :(

Don't confuse an ST Line car with the real thing.

One is just a trim level, the other is a very good hot hatch.

Don't confuse an ST Line car with the real thing.

One is just a trim level, the other is a very good hot hatch.

Yeah i noticed they do have a 5dr ST on the .de website

• Advertisement
Advertisement