Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I am seriously tempted by one of these. I don't think I have seen such universal press approval in a long time.

Could I ask any owners a couple of questions please?

I have read that the seat are uncomfortable, are they?

What is your real world mpg like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I am seriously tempted by one of these. I don't think I have seen such universal press approval in a long time.

Could I ask any owners a couple of questions please?

I have read that the seat are uncomfortable, are they?

What is your real world mpg like?

The seats are fine for me but some find the seating position a little high even when adjusted down to the last. What height/weight are you? I'm 5' 8 and 83kg and find them very comfortable but might be tight squeeze for a big lad or lassie.

I've almost 18k miles on mine now and my overall average mpg is 39 but you will get into mid to late 40's on a long motorway spin.

One thing I regret is not speccing one with cruise control as I do a fair bit of motorway and national road driving, I bought a dealer car last Christmas for collection early Jan as it was one of the only spirit blue cars in the country and I would have been waiting a couple of months otherwise..

They are a great all rounder and serious fun to drive.

Any other questions fire away..

Thanks Hooch, I'm 6 ft and 75ish (dunno really) kg so I'm guessing the seat should be fine. I think it was CAR that the long term test said they were uncomfortable on. I really need to drive one but they are thin on the ground.

I have an elderly DC2 Integra at the minute which I love but it's starting to feel its age. So I'm looking for something new.

I don't think I could stretch to a new one and there isn't many for sale in Ireland so I'm thinking I might bring one in from the UK/North. Anyway I'm blathering on and have no real other question. I shall do a bit of research and see. I might be back to pick your brain again if that's ok.

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks Hooch, I'm 6 ft and 75ish (dunno really) kg so I'm guessing the seat should be fine. I think it was CAR that the long term test said they were uncomfortable on. I really need to drive one but they are thin on the ground.

I have an elderly DC2 Integra at the minute which I love but it's starting to feel its age. So I'm looking for something new.

I don't think I could stretch to a new one and there isn't many for sale in Ireland so I'm thinking I might bring one in from the UK/North. Anyway I'm blathering on and have no real other question. I shall do a bit of research and see. I might be back to pick your brain again if that's ok.

P

To be fair m8 new is cheaper in some cases then second hand ones that on done deal.
    Ford slashed 5K of it and giving 0% Apr on pcp. Go pcp, 3 years zero Intrest, then refinance balloon or pay it off.
    I think st1 was down to 21K and st2 to 23K. Was thinking going myself for one.

To be fair m8 new is cheaper in some cases then second hand ones that on done deal.
    Ford slashed 5K of it and giving 0% Apr on pcp. Go pcp, 3 years zero Intrest, then refinance balloon or pay it off.
    I think st1 was down to 21K and st2 to 23K. Was thinking going myself for one.

Are they really doing 0% finance? I can't find that anywhere.

Also I wouldn't have a trade in less than 10 years old which is a condition of the 5k discount I think. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

I don't think they are either, i bought HP this year and it was 5.9%

The 5k discount applies to straight deals too, I got it last December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The 0% PCP is on ST-Line, not an ST...

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I don't think they are either, i bought HP this year and it was 5.9%

The 5k discount applies to straight deals too, I got it last December

Whoa, that's interesting. I though you had to have a trade in.

I think you're right grogi, more is the pity. 0% on pcp would almost swing it for me.

Whoa, that's interesting. I though you had to have a trade in.

I think you're right grogi, more is the pity. 0% on pcp would almost swing it for me.

Yeah as far as I know PCP is not available on any ST models, they already knocked off 5k off list so I guess they have to make it back some way.

What is your budget for a used one PC?

I can run you through my monthly payments etc, via pm if you wish

I don't know if I have a budget yet. I had been looking at spending 7/8k max but the more I look at it the more I am convincing myself I would save a grand a year (petrol/tax) running costs.

I wouldn't like to spend more then 15/16k but I see that is totally unrealistic. So now I am pricing what exactly I would havta spend.

Autotrader UK shows a significant difference in price on spec levels (ST, ST2, ST3 etc.) Can I ask what spec level you went for?

• Advertisement

I don't know if I have a budget yet. I had been looking at spending 7/8k max but the more I look at it the more I am convincing myself I would save a grand a year (petrol/tax) running costs.

I wouldn't like to spend more then 15/16k but I see that is totally unrealistic. So now I am pricing what exactly I would havta spend.

Autotrader UK shows a significant difference in price on spec levels (ST, ST2, ST3 etc.) Can I ask what spec level you went for?

15-16k should get you a 14 model ST2 here and cleared I reckon, VRT is approx 4k. I went for the ST2, ST3 isn't available here and ST1 is a bit poverty spec, ST2 is a good middle ground.

Over the ST1 it has Heated half leather Recaro's (ST1 has cloth not heated), Sony DAB radio with Sync Voice control, rear privacy glass, push button start. 2016 MY onwards have LED rear lights as well.

You can add the appearance pack which includes illuminated sill plates and painted calipers for 300 euro.

This is a good buying guide and the UK ST owners club forum is great in general too

http://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/topic/255602-fiesta-mk7-st-buyers-guide/

http://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/

That's more or less my conclusion too would you believe! Maybe 15/17k to clear a 13/14 ST-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

P

Im 6ft and 14.5 st ( 92ish kg) Had the car from new for coming up to two years now. The seats are great. Done 45k KM. Road trips to London etc. had no bother with the seats. They proper hug you. A bit high for a seating position as already mentioned by someone else but you get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

grogi wrote: »
    The 0% PCP is on ST-Line, not an ST...

There was in other thread fella linked where they showed droped prices on ST, not just St line.
    Do you know first hand from dealer it's only St line?

Op, did you checked seat ibiza cupra? A few lads here have them and have them on order for 171. Starts at 22K. Scrapage 2.5K and 0% Apr. That was my original option.
    Ibiza maybe is not as hardcore as St, but easier car to love on day today bases and has a lot of toys. 1.8tsi with 192hp has great reviews.

There was in other thread fella linked where they showed droped prices on ST, not just St line.
    Do you know first hand from dealer it's only St line?

Op, did you checked seat ibiza cupra? A few lads here have them and have them on order for 171. Starts at 22K. Scrapage 2.5K and 0% Apr. That was my original option.
    Ibiza maybe is not as hardcore as St, but easier car to love on day today bases and has a lot of toys. 1.8tsi with 192hp has great reviews.

I'll certainly have a look but it's the 'hardcore' part that's attracting me to the ST. I would like to stick the Mountune pack on it as well.

Just a thought but would there be any ST's coming back to the dealers of off PCP's this January?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What's the hardcore part about the ST? Is it a lot stiffer or what?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What's the hardcore part about the ST? Is it a lot stiffer or what?

I wouldn't necessarily call it hardcore, it's perfectly livable with as a daily driver. The low speed ride is a harsh on rough surfaces alright but it is known as the best handling car in the class so I guess you have to compromise somewhere.

I'd like to try one of the Ibiza Cupra's too though, nice looking car and pretty swift too I imagine.

I'll certainly have a look but it's the 'hardcore' part that's attracting me to the ST. I would like to stick the Mountune pack on it as well.

If you are not bothered about warranty, there are better tuning companies out there that offer far more bang for buck.

• Advertisement

Limbo123 wrote: »
    If you are not bothered about warranty, there are better tuning companies out there that offer far more bang for buck.

I understand that Insurance Companies are less frightened by Mountune for the ST though. I could be wrong.

I understand that Insurance Companies are less frightened by Mountune for the ST though. I could be wrong.

It is only the MP215 kit that is warranty friendly although the ST MP215 has its own listing on insurance websites with regards to model/edition.

It is only the MP215 kit that is warranty friendly although the ST MP215 has its own listing on insurance websites with regards to model/edition.

Have you modified yours? I was tempted by a Revo remap with the SPS unit. There is a Revo dealer in Portlaoise now.

Have you modified yours? I was tempted by a Revo remap with the SPS unit. There is a Revo dealer in Portlaoise now.

Just running Milltek non res cat back and Forge Induction at the moment.

Have the 25%off voucher for Revo but drive over to the UK a good few times a year so toying with the idea of going Peron or Collins while I'm over.

Have the 25%off voucher for Revo but drive over to the UK a good few times a year so toying with the idea of going Peron or Collins while I'm over.

Even Voodoo are running some impressive figures at the moment.

Revo being an hour away will be more handier if anything goes wrong.

Decisions decisions......

How do you find the exhaust? Much better deals available in the UK on tuning alright, don't know if I would chance it yet with the remap though, don't think i'm ready to void my warranty yet, although I'm unsure how detectable the map would be to Irish dealers..

• Advertisement

How do you find the exhaust? Much better deals available in the UK on tuning alright, don't know if I would chance it yet with the remap though, don't think i'm ready to void my warranty yet, although I'm unsure how detectable the map would be to Irish dealers..

Map is very dectable. One of the first things you will have issues with are the illuminated door sills (well known and common warranty problem). Ford will not order a new set without connecting up to the ECU.

The exhaust is great. Much better note than the oem. If upgrading the exhaust, order the uprated Focus RS mounts from Ford or elsewhere. Stops a lot of movement.

The very first mod to be done on any ST/RS is security. They can be nicked without keys in under a minute (not going into details on here). They are being robbed at such a rate in the UK, they will soon become the 80s Cosworth equivalent where insurance companies won't want to touch them. Insurance in Ireland is already high enough but with many underwriters UK based, it will start having an impact on these models over here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If PCeeeee is running and hanging onto a DC2 he's well up on security. :D And harsh ride over rough roads. An ST will feel like a fluffy cloud by comparison.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If PCeeeee is running and hanging onto a DC2 he's well up on security. :D And harsh ride over rough roads. An ST will feel like a fluffy cloud by comparison.

:D Sounds right. I will miss the DC2, I love it but it might be time to lever myself out of 1998.

Still havta drive an ST mind, there is a demo model in a dealer near me so I will try one for size this weekend,

I've driven DC2s and had a VTi coupe as well goin back about 7 years ago. The ST wouldn't be much different to a DC2 as regards the sharp handling. The shorter wheel base makes it a bit more predictable. Reminds me of an EK9. For a turbo engine they love to be revved too and pull on right to the redline.

I've driven DC2s and had a VTi coupe as well goin back about 7 years ago. The ST wouldn't be much different to a DC2 as regards the sharp handling. The shorter wheel base makes it a bit more predictable. Reminds me of an EK9. For a turbo engine they love to be revved too and pull on right to the redline.

Sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 dancla

Had intended to trade my st2 in new year and think I'll try to sell privately first.
    Any guidance on what price to ask accept?
    161 ST2 with appearance pack
    19,000 kms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I love my ST but it's still quite a refined car to drive. One of my first cars was a DC2 and I still don't think any car I've owned made me smile quite as much as her to be honest. The handling experience is good but even after springs I still feel really high up. I'm not even tall, I'm a 68kg 5'8 woman, and sometimes I feel like my head is fairly high up. It's a nice deal though all things considered I think. Relatively cheap price, grand push, nice toys if you spec it right, great fuel economy etc. It's a bit different too, I rarely see another.

I love my ST but it's still quite a refined car to drive. One of my first cars was a DC2 and I still don't think any car I've owned made me smile quite as much as her to be honest. The handling experience is good but even after springs I still feel really high up. I'm not even tall, I'm a 68kg 5'8 woman, and sometimes I feel like my head is fairly high up. It's a nice deal though all things considered I think. Relatively cheap price, grand push, nice toys if you spec it right, great fuel economy etc. It's a bit different too, I rarely see another.

How do you mean 'after springs'? Have you it lowered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

How do you mean 'after springs'? Have you it lowered?

Mountune "sport springs" all around. It sits rather high as standard for my liking.

That sounds nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've driven DC2s and had a VTi coupe as well goin back about 7 years ago. The ST wouldn't be much different to a DC2 as regards the sharp handling. The shorter wheel base makes it a bit more predictable. Reminds me of an EK9.
    There's only a couple of inches in it funny enough(and EK9 and DC2 have the same wheelbase). Cars have gotten more porky over the years. I'd also prefer a real LSD rather than the faux "computer fiddling with the brakes to emulate same" kinda thing on the ST. I could well do without the leccy steering too and would far prefer old style mechanical(ditto for the throttle)*. Times have changed though and things have moved on in so many ways. The ST is going to be a easier, more comfortable, safer, cheaper to tax, run and insure car to live with. Unless you're into motorised S&M like me. :D
    It's a nice deal though all things considered I think. Relatively cheap price, grand push, nice toys if you spec it right, great fuel economy etc. It's a bit different too, I rarely see another.
    +1. It's a cracking "old style" hot hatch, or at least as damned close to one as the current market will allow. Never mind a real return to the bloody fantastic Fords of old(and way better than most of those). Though TBH if I was joining the 21st century it would be the Megane RS I'd likely be more into. If I could find one.

One thing I might respectfully suggest PC, IF you could do it anyway practically… Given how little you're likely to get for your DC2 and if it's near standard in good nick(double points if it's the Irish/UK version), could you store it away for future reference? They're just starting to appreciate. Not in the Irish market as it's an outlier, cos of local BS, but elsewhere. Indeed if I was selling one I'd advertise it in the UK. You'll get a better return. Plus I have found damn near every petrolhead has The Car(™) they regret selling, from the average to everyone else to the "WTF was I thinking they're mad money now" models. I am that soldier.

*yep, I can tell the difference. A mechanic mate who didn't believe has tested me on this. I'm that sad. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs I'm with you. My instinct would be that a mechanical would be preferable but hey who knows maybe we'll look back in a few years and think how quaint. I'm almost as bad as you in the 'they don't make 'em like they used to'.

I would keep the Integra but mechanically it's getting worn, there is a lot of kms on it now and I'm using it to commute which isn't helping. Tax is expensive and some parts hard to find. I would have moved on before this but there isn't a lot out there that I like. An elise (totally impractical) or wrx (ruinously expensive to run by all accounts) maybe. I'm afraid I have no place to keep it and while it's standard jdm it is battered.

As you say though I may regret it in more ways than one....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/forget-air-cooled-porsches-next-classic-car-goldmine/

Wibbs I'm with you. My instinct would be that a mechanical would be preferable but hey who knows maybe we'll look back in a few years and think how quaint. I'm almost as bad as you in the 'they don't make 'em like they used to'.
    :D To be fair I'm one of those that still think the finest rear wheel drive cars I've ever personally driven were a 1960's Lotus Elan, an 80's BMW e30 M3 and a well sorted 70's Ford Escort RS2000… Though the brakes on the latter were optional and appeals to various deities regular…
    I would keep the Integra but mechanically it's getting worn, there is a lot of kms on it now and I'm using it to commute which isn't helping. Tax is expensive and some parts hard to find.
    Never mind insurance. Jesus, the amount I pay every year and as an old fart… When I see 20 odd year olds in them and similar I think how?.
    I'm afraid I have no place to keep it and while it's standard jdm it is battered.
    Pity :(
    True, though to be fair that is the US market, which is an oddball with those and other Japanese sporty stuff like the 90's WRX's and Evo's etc. They never really had them and they also missed much of the hot hatch thing we got. So the Integra is a very rare beast over there and an "icon" because of it. And their import laws impact the market too. You just can't bring one in. When their 30 year vintage thing kicks in and they can easily import JDM and EDM examples the market will likely suffer, though yeah they'll still be sought after. I further suspect that when the electric self drive app dial a car thing really kicks in and refined oil burners become a "hobby", then such "icons" will go to mad money. To a degree we'll barely believe today.

Just looking online here at Ford.ie 'for a friend'.....

New fiesta st1 is 21,590. If buying straight with no trade in is that the price? Is there further discount to be had? Is it too late now to order as needs to regd in January? What % finance do Ford offer on the St?

Many thanks for any replies as I know there's a few on here that know the craic with these and current offers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New fiesta st1 is 21,590. If buying straight with no trade in is that the price? Is there further discount to be had? Is it too late now to order as needs to regd in January? What % finance do Ford offer on the St?

Many thanks for any replies as I know there's a few on here that know the craic with these and current offers.

I think that's it but add delivery charges. You might find one in stock somewhere.

No idea about what finance is on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

There is 0% finance offered on the website but the workings of car finance is beyond me!
    I believe the figure you quoted 21k is the selling price minus delivery, there isn't any further discount available aside from what you can haggle from them. It's about there mine started from even I bought it, it's an st2 with appearance pack and the blue paint which is 950. I think mine came out at 23400 or there abouts. I scrimped in cruise and regret it. Only other option was climate which i wasn't arsed about cause I fiddled with it all the time in the z4 so it never got to work as intended anyway.
    Based on my purchase last year, I'd imagine you're too late for an early January reg. I bought mine I think about January week 2 and got it week 1 of February. It had already been ordered but not built at the time (there was time to change options)

If you want a hoon off one and are in Cork let me know haha!

St2 with blue paint and appearance pack is €29,440. Minus 5k discount is €24,440.

That excludes delivery too so 23,400 seems like you got a further 1k off from the dealer and free delivery?

St2 with blue paint and appearance pack is €29,440. Minus 5k discount is €24,440.

That excludes delivery too so 23,400 seems like you got a further 1k off from the dealer and free delivery?

I did a deal on one on the 18th of December last year, an ST2 in spirit blue that was in stock in Lyons in Limerick. List on the car was 28,750 before delivery and metallic, I got the 5k discount and did a deal 23,750 so haggled the price of the spirit blue off so in or around a grand.

If your buying i'd spend the bit extra and go for the ST2

I did a fair bit of haggling on the price, at the time I was in two minds about spending that much on a car so I guess I appeared a bit non committal to the dealer so he did ring me on two occasions offering further money off. He also mispriced the paint on 2 occasions, first he assumed it was 650 which is the price for black and then during one of his phone calls he said the paint was 350. By the time he had realised the mistake we had pretty much agreed the price for the car and my trade in so he honoured it. So yea I'd imagine I got the best part of 1000 off from some bartering and some good fortune with the mispriced paint.
    My figures might be of by 100 quid or so, it was a fair while ago now. Can't recall the price of delivery but I'd imagine it's standard enough for any car. For Ford specific discounts I think it's just the 5k, the rest is down to the dealer margins, trade ins etc like with any other car.
    Cracking car btw, couldn't recommend it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

You'd save quite a few €€'s buying nearly new....I'll be selling a white 162 ST2, with cruise control in early Jan :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Might be tempted. Even the dreaded road tax is a relatively inexpensive group B1 (138g) so €280 p.a. Should be a fun car to drive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/63788/ford-fiesta-st-2

Irish prices look set to start at c.€26k.

Why do we need 6 gears? there were only 3 when I was lad. With modern flexible variable valve timing they have a broader power range and should need less gears

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DanWall wrote: »
    Why do we need 6 gears? there were only 3 when I was lad. With modern flexible variable valve timing they have a broader power range and should need less gears

It's a hot hatch so quick acceleration is central to the cars purpose.

If you wanted to you could drive using only perhaps 3 or 4 of the gears but that'd be missing the point.

p.s. The gearbox itself is a pleasure to use.

Fiesta wrote: »
    You'd save quite a few €€'s buying nearly new....I'll be selling a white 162 ST2, with cruise control in early Jan :p

How much for?

There is only one available in the country, a white ST2. Because it is in Ireland it will qualify for the 5k discount, but a new order I have been told will take 12-13 weeks and so will not qualify for the 5k, but instead after January there will be a 4k discount.

• Advertisement

There is only one available in the country, a white ST2. Because it is in Ireland it will qualify for the 5k discount, but a new order I have been told will take 12-13 weeks and so will not qualify for the 5k, but instead after January there will be a 4k discount.

I was told the same, I would tend to ignore it. They said my order wait time would take it past the expiry of the 5k deal. I told em that I'd be expecting the deal that is running when I order the car not when they get around to delivering it an they went for it.
    They can't expect you to buy a car in January and miss out on the deal cause they can't get it delivered in time... Fcuk that!
    You keeping the R if you don't mind me asking?

Advertisement