Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Was the mk7 low 20s when they were doing their deals? Looks like the mk8 is a cracking car but the price could be getting a little rich as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Was the mk7 low 20s when they were doing their deals? Looks like the mk8 is a cracking car but the price could be getting a little rich as you say

Yes an ST2 was approx €23.5 ex delivery and depending on colour, Spirit Blue was €950 extra.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Looks that way, maybe a few demo's might be registered in 182. I'm hoping they offer all the buyers of Mk7 ST's a day to test out the Mk8, even though i don't think i'll buy one. I think Ford will have to make their finance a bit more attractive for people to pay €30k+ on a Fiesta.

24h test drive will never happen I think.

Could you be tempted back into one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Why not? Assuming a dealer has one and you're known to him (previous customer, etc), getting one for a few hours or even a night shouldn't be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yes an ST2 was approx €23.5 ex delivery and depending on colour, Spirit Blue was €950 extra.

When they launched previous model it was 27k ish. So unfortunately I can see new one being 30k ish. Polo gti with price tag of 32k makes me not bring my hopes up that new fiesta st will be below 30k.

When they launched previous model it was 27k ish. So unfortunately I can see new one being 30k ish. Polo gti with price tag of 32k makes me not bring my hopes up that new fiesta st will be below 30k.

Totally, can't see them being any less than 30k

Totally, can't see them being any less than 30k

On the flip side, if you were trading in your current ST, the higher price of the new one should help “artificially” improve their valuation of your car. So the cost-to-change shouldn’t vary that much in theory.

Haha, your fond of your man maths Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was just having a look at the new Polo GTi on the VW site, after adding a few options to it, you're talking roughly €35k.

You'd get a nearly new Golf GTi for that money. :o

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Was just having a look at the new Polo GTi on the VW site, after adding a few options to it, you're talking roughly €35k.

You'd get a nearly new Golf GTi for that money. :o

A new Leon Cupra 300 starts at 36k. Could be tempted by one of those next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Whats the appeal of a fiest ST over a focus ST, does it purely come down to price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Of the last iterations of each the Fiesta was supposed to be better to drive.

I'm not sure how much that swings a potential customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    You would, but you'd be adding a few extras to the Golf GTI too, in which case you'd nearly get a new Golf R for that money.....

Yeah... you could make the “sure you could get X for that money” argument for any car. Spend 55-60k on a Golf R / Focus RS and people will say “sure you could get a used RS3 or an M4 for that...”.

It’s all about personal choice. Some might put a high value on the new car smell, the 182 plate and the attractive finance on a brand new car.

The price differential between one model and another may seem small but you need to compare like with like. While a new Polo with a couple of options ticked might be closing in on 35k, a new Golf GTI is now closing in on 50k... so the actual gap is bigger than you might think!

That said, I would have a slightly used larger equivalent over a new Fiesta/Polo every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Whats the appeal of a fiest ST over a focus ST, does it purely come down to price?

If your talking about the current generation of both then the Fiesta is universally seen as a more accomplished car than the Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

bazz26 wrote: »
    If your talking about the current generation of both then the Fiesta is universally seen as a more accomplished car than the Focus.

I've never even seen a current generation Fiesta, and the old one is ancient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've never even seen a current generation Fiesta, and the old one is ancient.

I'm referring to the last model Fiesta ST irrespective of sage, gets better reviews than the current Focus ST. The new Fiesta ST I don't even think is gone on sale yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2 hot hatches but quite different in character. Both are quick but the Focus is bigger and heavier. It doesn't handle in as involving way as its smaller brother. The Fiesta ST is a brilliant small car and a future classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Personally, I didnt like the looks of the normal 5 door focus and the ST version is pretty tame, IMO, so I ended up going for the Fiesta instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sounds terrible at idle, then again what three cylinder engine doesn't. Sounds great when revved though, does a very good impression of a raspy six pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saint Clabbert

Irish prices have been released to dealers since 30th April.
    Here, we're getting the ST2 (€28k) & ST3 (€30k) models. Full brochure with pricing, colours & options pricing uploaded over the weekend on Ford.ie., at the same time as Ford UK uploaded theirs.
    Not on the vehicle configurator yet, but in the downloadable price lists. Very limited colours, but other than that, loads of gear. Performance pack at €950 is very well priced. Ford UK have it at 850stg. (And when you consider a Quaife LSD for the mk7 is about €940 from Mountune, plus fitting, it's great value)
    I think it sounds brilliant - its similar to an R2, so anyone who may have heard Keith Lyons R2 on any stages last year should have an idea of what its like. Only a bit quieter....

• Advertisement

Not sure I see the value in the st3 over the st2.

Bigger wheels (prob do look a bit better)
    Parking sensors and camera (no real need)
    Navigation (the standard system has Android auto, again no need)
    Keyless entry (nice to have/potential security issue)
    Half leather seats (prob does lift interior)
    Folding mirrors (no thanks)

For me I'd prob go st2, 18" wheels and performance pack.

Now to pick a color:)

So it starts!!! :pac:

28k website prices, so in the road will be about 30k with no extras. At least in ST2 it comes with really good amount of extras and I agree with poster above, ST3 does not look like a must.

I guess 5 door version is coming later, but with this pricing I bet st2 going to be about 34k on the road, same as bare bones Polo gti.

If thats the pricing, then unfortunately I am priced out from next gen hot hatches. 34k is way too much for me to pay for a small car like this.

Delivery is the only addition. You'll be able have one on the road for under €29k I reckon.

Discounts will be limited for a while though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saint Clabbert

Hold tough there - AFAIK, 5 door is coming here too - its on request - €600 extra.
    Probably to be included in the bodystyle section of the config.

The prices are not website prices - they're the GRP brochure prices. Delivery extra.

Maybe we should do a group buy :pac:

ST2 would do fine I suspect. I think we're a little overly concerned with bells and whistles tbh.

p.s. I think android auto is actually superior to built in sat nav.

Maybe we should do a group buy :pac:

Actually it's not a bad idea.

I think I could probably negotiate something seeing as I've bought a fair few new cars from Ford historically.

I'd favour straight purchases without trade ins. Much cleaner.

PM me if you've any interest.

If it were me I'd try and plump for the ST-3. Sure there's a couple of gimmicks in it, but most of the extras listed look like very worthwhile options to me and could hardly be described as luxuries. The navigation system and keyless are probably the only things I wouldn't be too bothered about. But auto lights, mirrors, rear parking sensors - those are the kind of things I'd expect to have in any new car today. If you could spec those few bits and leave out the Nav, I would - but it'd probably work out more expensive than just going with the pre-bundled ST3.

It'll also make it an all round much nicer car to be in and a more desirable car come sell on time. Just my 2c.

EDIT: If xenons / full LED headlamps aren't too costly an option, it'd be the first box I'd tick. They make such a huge difference to the look and appeal of a small hot hatch imo.

Have to disagree Joe on the ST3.

My spec would be:

ST-2
    Base Model 28120
    5 Door 600

Performance Pack 950
    18" 500
    Rear Parking Sensors 200
    LED Headlights 700
    Magnetic 600

On the spec sheet "Auto High Beam: Includes Traffic Sign Alert and Driver Alert" is standard on the ST2.

I presume auto lights are standard too, esp with LED headlights.

Have to disagree Joe on the ST3.

My spec would be:

ST-2
    Base Model 28120
    5 Door 600

Performance Pack 950
    18" 500
    Rear Parking Sensors 200
    LED Headlights 700
    Magnetic 600

On the spec sheet "Auto High Beam: Includes Traffic Sign Alert and Driver Alert" is standard on the ST2.

I presume auto lights are standard too, esp with LED headlights.

Yep that spec looks good. You look like a man who's doing the man maths, once it goes into Excel, there's no going back :p

Haha, dangerous territory alright. Costs nothing to look sure. Probably not the brightest idea looking to buy new (something I said I wouldn't do again) as I tend to get itchy feet with cars regularly enough.

The whole warranty and having not to feck around with something and just drive it and abuse it does appeal though.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anybody else think things like adjustable dampers, driving modes and the like have no place in a hot hatch? I like the 208 GTI and the old ST for just having a good chassis and engine.

I personally prefer it. I have it my current car and it is a blessing if you doing high miles.
    When I feel like being a knob a bit, I turn on sport mode and it gets stiffer, heavier steering, throttle response better and it pumps artificial engine noise. Fantastic. Thing is, majority of the time I drive to work and back and I needsome comfort. If my car would be in sport mode 24/7 I would go mental.
    I loved my subaru, skyline and all, but I am not a racing driver to have my car roar at me all the time and be stiff as a wheelbarrow.

Sounds good, but i'd find it very hard to pay that kind of money on a Fiesta.

Any idea when they are hitting dealerships?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anybody else think things like adjustable dampers, driving modes and the like have no place in a hot hatch? I like the 208 GTI and the old ST for just having a good chassis and engine.

If I had one I'd never use Sport+ because I'd never use it on a race track. Sport setting maybe for a bit of fun the odd time.

LSD is good but probably unnecessary. Launch control is for people who lack skill and it'll get some into trouble.

p.s. The last model Fiesta ST was a fantastic compromise setup out of the box. Perhaps the new one will be better still? I like the exhaust note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If I had one I'd never use Sport+ because I'd never use it on a race track. Sport setting maybe for a bit of fun the odd time.

The big advantage of having several modes is that the non-sporty mode is likely much more usable for day-to-day than the single compromise between Sport and Not Sport that a car without several modes would get.

Which means selectable modes are good even if you just leave it in Normal all the time.

because_your_worth_it.jpg

My spec (retained value primarily) would be:-

ST2. Maybe in white?

Ends.

Sounds good, but i'd find it very hard to pay that kind of money on a Fiesta.

Any idea when they are hitting dealerships?

Thats the thing 35k for fiesta. Yes, its performance fiesta, but its still 35k!!!

If I am at that budget, I will just add a few k and get Leon cupra with 300hp, which will have a lot of options as standard already and much bigger, usable car.
    Fords are not some premium brand, but in Ireland it's mad money.

And someone mentioned above, but its hardly true? Auto wipers and auto lights only in st3? That should be standard like heater at this point.
    Sat nav is completely useless extra atthis day and age when you have android auto.

I agree with the "it's a lot of money for a fiesta" idea. But it's no longer the little car it was 15 years ago. I'd say it's not far away from mk1 focus size at this stage and it has a lot of kit.

How much was a mk5 GTI back in the day?
    This Ford is a little smaller and is probably lighter(could be wrong there) and comes with adaptive dampers, LSD, 6 speed box and plenty of modern gizmos if you're into that sort of thing.

It's a lot of money for a fiesta, absolutely. But it's also a fair amount of car too. All new cars are mad money in this country are they not?

• Advertisement

Yup. It's all relative.

A new MK5 Golf GTI was around 34-35k (and it had pretty terrible standard spec even by 10 years ago standards) back in '06 or so. I remember people being incredulous that a Golf could cost as much as that. A new GTI today is around 46k out of the box but tick a couple of options such as adaptive dampers, larger wheels, paint... and you're closing in on 50k.

While the Fiesta has undoubtably grown, I would still perceive it as a small car though, which would be the one thing that'd put me off - i.e. could I put up with it as a daily driver, doing the humdrum daily stuff.

Advertisement