Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I see. So if we presume a 180bhp 1.6 will be less efficient than a 110bhp (all other variants aside for the mo) wouldn't that logic dictate that because newer engines become more powerful than their predecessors, they're also becoming less economical?

That does not compute Goose. It rather seems the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jesus. wrote: »
    I see. So if we presume a 180bhp 1.6 will be less efficient than a 110bhp (all other variants aside for the mo) wouldn't that logic dictate that because newer engines become more powerful than their predecessors, they're also becoming less economical?

That does not compute Goose. It rather seems the opposite

A 180BHP 1.6 is much more efficient than a 110BHP 1.6. How could it be otherwise? The fact that the newer engines produce more power while using less fuel is symptomatic of improvements in engine management, specifically valvetrain control, fuel-and-air metering, and minimising thermal lossage. Power, efficiency and fuel economy are all facets of exactly the same thing. This truly, is the Tao. :cool:

jimgoose wrote: »
    A 180BHP 1.6 is much more efficient than a 110BHP 1.6. How could it be otherwise? :cool:

But that's what I've been saying all along!

But that's what I've been saying all along!

It's a little more complicated than that. Until we master infinitely-variable cam-phasing (hint: not happening yet with the implementation of Physics prevalent in this corner of the Universe), the efficiency is going to be "dialled-in" at particular rev-ranges and engine load conditions.

Ach away with ye Tao :pac:

Ach away with ye Tao :pac:

To reject that part of the Buddha that attends to the fettling of old shítheaps is to miss the Buddha entirely. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I saw saw a blue ST focus in south Dublin on Monday, very nice in the flesh. Not too over the top but it still stands out. Henry Ford III your not a tall ginger bloke by any chance?

Thankfully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I saw saw a blue ST focus in south Dublin on Monday, very nice in the flesh. Not too over the top but it still stands out. Henry Ford III your not a tall ginger bloke by any chance?

Henry has the fiesta!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Thankfully not.

Which bit, tall or bloke? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is there any difference in the ST petrol/diesel other than engine? On the Ford configurator they look exactly the same. I would have thought the proper one had some unique features to it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is there any difference in the ST petrol/diesel other than engine? On the Ford configurator they look exactly the same. I would have thought the proper one had some unique features to it?

Thanks

Diesel has a drawbar and St. Christopher visor clip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

vintagevrs wrote: »

Thanks

Even as a diesel nut I can say that one has the correct engine and the other does not. And surprisingly I would argue it's not the diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭irishneo

thinking of trading in my 07 focus st for a fiesta st but no one has a demo model to test drive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

CR7 was that the new Mustang? :p

Yes. It was actually very disappointing. Not powerful enough and lacking the sound to make up for it. I'd like to compare it to the V8 at some stage, but I definitely wouldn't go spending €47k(or whatever it is) on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

irishneo wrote: »
    thinking of trading in my 07 focus st for a fiesta st but no one has a demo model to test drive:(

There must be one around, apparently it was at Mondello today, with the ST and STD Focus's.

Thought it was just vans today so didn't go, quick cars were out On the track so should have gone.

CR 7 wrote: »
    Yes. It was actually very disappointing. Not powerful enough and lacking the sound to make up for it. I'd like to compare it to the V8 at some stage, but I definitely wouldn't go spending €47k(or whatever it is) on one.

That's a depressing read. I was hoping the 4-pot might make an impression at least in European eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

p.s. I didn't buy this car for fuel economy but the trip computer shows an everage from new of 41.9mpg - which is very impressive all things considered.

I wonder what it'd be if you didn't let me have it for those few days ;-)
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    WTF. How is averaging 41-42 mpg in a 180bhp hot hatch "not great"?

What do you get from the R?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

testicle wrote: »
    I wonder what it'd be if you didn't let me have it for those few days ;-)

What do you get from the R?

Poor average at the moment but it's far too early to judge. It's a bit like looking at the Premier league table in August. I'm averaging mid 20's. I expect it to get better, I'd be happy with high 20's, 30 ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

I've done 21000 miles in mmy Fiesta ST since January. I've got 52 mpg on a long steady run. I think this is the first car I'm not gonna part with when I get another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nice few on sale in UK - looking at 17-20k for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Hey all. So I've been approved for finance on one of these little rockets today, for delivery in January. I've decided to take the plunge as I've been thinking about it for a long time and the real deal event going on gave me my excuse!

The issue is in relation to picking a colour. I have my heart set on spirit blue but.....I'm colour blind! A few people have said to me it's too bright.

What do the people of this fine forum think?

You'll have to start a new thread cos they shut down resurrected ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You'll have to start a new thread cos they shut down resurrected ones

Its only a couple of months old so should be fine, by no means a zombie thread :)

Personally I think the blue looks great, and who cares what others say, they aren't buying the car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Spirit blue is a gorgeous colour on the Fiesta ST's. It's in no way too bright either, it's a darker blue than the older performance blue and I wouldn't have even called that bright!

If you like the blue, then go for it! It's subtle enough to blend in but it's also different enough to look a bit special.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Race red is good (standard), so is Frozen White (€150). Spirit Blue is great but costs €950 extra.

There's also Panther Black at €600 and Molten Orange at €950.

Your choice but regardless the Fiesta ST is a fantastic car. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick replies.

I like the Panther Black but it would be too hard to keep clean. I'm not a huge fan of the Molten Orange, just not for me. There's enough red cars around so I think the Spirit Blue is something that will stand out in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

notGill wrote: »
    Hey all. So I've been approved for finance on one of these little rockets today, for delivery in January. I've decided to take the plunge as I've been thinking about it for a long time and the real deal event going on gave me my excuse!

The issue is in relation to picking a colour. I have my heart set on spirit blue but.....I'm colour blind! A few people have said to me it's too bright.

What do the people of this fine forum think?

Mine is ready for collection in January too :D went with Spirit Blue myself, my next choice would have been white and then red though.

Ask the people that will see you in the most, friends, family and show them the different colours, get their reaction. My opinion is blue is the best colour but you wont go wrong with what ever you end up picking.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mine is ready for collection in January too :D went with Spirit Blue myself, my next choice would have been white and then red though.

Ask the people that will see you in the most, friends, family and show them the different colours, get their reaction. My opinion is blue is the best colour but you wont go wrong with what ever you end up picking.

Did I see that you drove by it every day on the way to work... :pac:

I wouldn't submit myself to such torture!

Mixed reaction, people either love it or think it's a bit much. I love it so it stays!

Fiesta ST's may soon outnumber BMW 3 series here. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.... a friend of mine posted he just ordered one of these today: got it for 18.5K. That sounds like good value to me, tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Wossack wrote: »
    well any time you're involved in resurrection, its best to try get a handle on it early - could do without another book..! :pac:

These Mods are anti-Christian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

galwaytt wrote: »
    .... a friend of mine posted he just ordered one of these today: got it for 18.5K. That sounds like good value to me, tbh.
    New? :eek:

Did I see that you drove by it every day on the way to work... :pac:

I wouldn't submit myself to such torture!

Mixed reaction, people either love it or think it's a bit much. I love it so it stays!

Fiesta ST's may soon outnumber BMW 3 series here. :eek:

Yup, unfortunately my daily commute brings me by the Ford garage, I could avoid it and go about a mile out of my way but I like seeing it in the window every day, reminds me of what I've to look foreward to. :)

We can have our own little Boards Fiesta meet. :pac:

It's officialy been ordered! :D:D:D

A boards Fiesta mini-meet is definitely on the cards (or at least an ST only meet....) :pac:

It's officialy been ordered! :D:D:D

A boards Fiesta mini-meet is definitely on the cards (or at least an ST only meet....) :pac:

Niiiiiice, what colour dya go with in the end, blue?

galwaytt wrote: »

€ or £?

Fiesta ST doesn't qualify for any 161 discounts a.f.a.i.k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

€ or £?

It does. €5,000 off GRP according to Ford.ie which brings it to €21,390 GRP

€ or £?

I got an extra 1k off mine anyway, dealer mentioned a 161 discount.

I wasnt complaining. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I got an extra 1k off mine anyway, dealer mentioned a 161 discount.

I wasnt complaining. :o

I only know because my all lad just ordered a new Focus ST, which had €8,750 off the top before he even mentioned his trade-in or started to negotiate. Cracking value, even for a Ford :D

Including the trade in and a few dealer offers ill be paying a shade over 19.5k myself. The value is immense. :)

Ford were given me a better price on my own car too than opel when i was shopping around a few months back.

Edit : the price also includes the 1k depoist I put down on the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    It does. €5,000 off GRP according to Ford.ie which brings it to €21,390 GRP

http://www.ford.ie/Cars/Fiesta/Promotions#primaryTabs

I'm assuming that applies to the ST2 as well? So say you configured one for €29000, they then apply the €5000 savings off that and it ends up at €24000? Great deal if so!

• Advertisement

Niiiiiice, what colour dya go with in the end, blue?

Spirit Blue, only colour for me in the end!
    http://www.ford.ie/Cars/Fiesta/Promotions#primaryTabs

I'm assuming that applies to the ST2 as well? So say you configured one for €29000, they then apply the €5000 savings off that and it ends up at €24000? Great deal if so!

It does, mine is an ST2 with style pack.

I'm under the impression you have to trade in a car less than 10 years old (with nct, tax and insurance) in order to initially qualify for the 5k off. I had a car that fit the criteria regardless so I didn't ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the Ford website out of date or what? I was just configuring a Focus ST there and it's still showing a price in the high 30k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is the Ford website out of date or what? I was just configuring a Focus ST there and it's still showing a price in the high 30k.

Whatever it says add 600 for delivery and take off 8750. They won't take newer cars as a trade in though.

Whatever it says add 600 for delivery and take off 8750. They won't take newer cars as a trade in though.

Knew there had to be some sort of catch. That's me out so. Great deal other than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Knew there had to be some sort of catch. That's me out so. Great deal other than that.

Might be worth trying a few dealers to see if some might be accommodating...

Probably not be much money to be made in taking a BMW F10 in against a Focus ST. Might ring for curiosity anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Probably not be much money to be made in taking a BMW F10 in against a Focus ST. Might ring for curiosity anyway.

Some garages will do the discount if you have no trade-in, Ive ordered a Zetec-S without trading in and got the full discount. Could you sell your Bimer privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Hi all, I was chatting to local dealer about ordering one of these, the 5k off should be available for those doing straight deals also. Does anyone know if a 5 door can be ordered in Ireland, seen some pics online only but all seem to be US based? The Blue would be my colour of preference also or else black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I wish it came in 5-door here as well, becuase if it did, I'd have my girlfriend in one ASAP!

(she won't buy a 3-door car, it makes me sad)

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Hi all, I was chatting to local dealer about ordering one of these, the 5k off should be available for those doing straight deals also. Does anyone know if a 5 door can be ordered in Ireland, seen some pics online only but all seem to be US based? The Blue would be my colour of preference also or else black.

America have a 5 door only option AFAIK so theyre at the other end of the problem. :o

Advertisement