Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

"Shenshen wrote: »
    It's funny you should mention mental illness... I've known 2 girls when I was a teenager who became annorexic. Both of them started out a little chubby, one I'd say was definitely overweight.
    Both went on diets, got an immense amount of positive feedback for it, and never stopped their diets ever again until they were admitted to hospital. Now, neither of them were very stable, I'll grant you that. But to call a craving for acceptance and praise a "mental illness" is pushing it a little bit, to be honest.

So all the medical evidence out there is wrong because of your opinion of the situation of two people. Anorexia is a well known mental illness.

What a naive and frankly rude assessment of such a serious condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Just on the poeple that say thin peeps don't get told they're too thin.

Thats wrong. Just like those who are over weight, those who are underweight will often get told, in the street. "Go eat a burger, would you." , "eeew, your bones are sticking out"..

I just wanted to say, that being on the extreme end of either side, will lead to strangers making a$$hole comments.

You can't change what people will say or do. You can change how YOU react to what they say though.
    And if bothers you so much, get a nutritionist AND a counsellor, because if somethings a habit, the outside help makes it easier to change it.
    I also find, that for overweight people. they could choose the apple instead of the bag of crisps, Many however, will complain about their weight WHILE eating the crisps >.>. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

It's funny that a few people on this thread have said they struggle to bulk up or to gain weight and some are underweight as a result and nobody commented or aimed comments towards them.
    But another poster explains how she is in the process of losing weight but struggles sometimes and is told she needs to stop making excuses as to why she is still fat and simply eat less and exercise more.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Then I fail to see why you are still struggling with weight loss or why you listed that long long list of excuses as to why you are still so overweight.

What excuse?
    Can you please point out a single excuse I've made in this thread?

I've explained that I got fat through overeating in my teens.
    I remained fat because I did not excercise and ate 1800 cal a day. How on earth COULD I have lost weight? That amount of calories will simply maintain your weight, whatever it might be.
    To lose weight, you need to have a cal intake vs. cal use of around 1300 to maximum 1500 cal a day. That's what I'm doing now.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I can relate to the different body system. I've had a rapid metabolism since I was a small child, meaning I burn off food nearly twice as fast as others do. The downside is that it's very hard for me to put on weight.

I admittedly have a low opinion of vegetarianism as a way to survive, like it or not you are missing out on vital sources of nutrition like protein and iron. Protein is especially helpful when trying to lose weight as it gives you more energy to exercise. It's one of those wonderful conundrums of the human body.

How would I miss out on protein or iron?
    I eat eggs, I have at least one meal a day consisting of leafy green veg and I cook a lot with lentils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Shenshen wrote: »
    What excuse?
    Can you please point out a single excuse I've made in this thread?

I've explained that I got fat through overeating in my teens.
    I remained fat because I did not excercise and ate 1800 cal a day. How on earth COULD I have lost weight? That amount of calories will simply maintain your weight, whatever it might be.
    To lose weight, you need to have a cal intake vs. cal use of around 1300 to maximum 1500 cal a day. That's what I'm doing now.

Whoever told you that is bonkers. To find out your cal needs for weight loss, multiply your weight in lbs x 12. For example, I'm 128lbs x 12 = 1536 cals for weightloss. I don't see how eating 1300 cals can be in any way sustainable in the long-term, you must be starving. The nutrition forum is really useful here and you can get lots of good advice and help if you want.

"If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low." (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php)

Whoever told you that is bonkers. To find out your cal needs for weight loss, multiply your weight in lbs x 12. For example, I'm 128lbs x 12 = 1536 cals for weightloss. I don't see how eating 1300 cals can be in any way sustainable in the long-term, you must be starving. The nutrition forum is really useful here and you can get lots of good advice and help if you want.

"If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low." (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php)

I'll stick to my doctor's advise over what I get told on a forum, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I've actually looked over my diet with my doctor, there's nothing wrong with it.
    I'm vegetarian, I stay away from fats and sugars (I've never had much of a sweet tooth anyway). So if I wanted to tackle my diet, I would have to move down to between 1300 - 1500 cal a day, and pretty much stick with this for the rest of my life to avoid any kind of yo-yoing.
    By focusing on the excercise instead, I avoid that trap. I simply use more energy, get to about the same balance in calorie intake vs. use, and my body never goes into "food shortage" mode, so isn't tempted to store as much as it can.

But as I said before, everybody is different. What's working for me may not work for 100 other people. The first obstacle is actually finding out what works for you personally.

Most of this post looks like nonsense, what the hell is 'food storage mode'?
    "A little learning is a dangerous thing" this goes double for nutritional science

How would I miss out on protein or iron?
    I eat eggs, I have at least one meal a day consisting of leafy green veg and I cook a lot with lentils.

This thread has turned into posters expecting you to explain your lifestyle, weight and choices in a way they never would from a thin person. Your stated reasons have been dismissed as excuses and assumptions made about your nutritional intake in a way a thin person would never experience.

Don't let the badgering make you defensive, you've done great.

Recommended daily allowance for a woman is 2000kcals.
    If a woman is 12 stone then thats 168 pounds. 168x12=2016

So if a woman weighs over 12 stone she can eat more than the recommended daily kcal allowance and lose weight? Doesn't seem to make sense if I'm honest. Is there an upper limit?

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    This thread has turned into posters expecting you to explain your lifestyle, weight and choices in a way they never would from a thin person. Your stated reasons have been dismissed as excuses and assumptions made about your nutritional intake in a way a thin person would never experience.

I don't think anyone asked her to turn this thread into her personal blog

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

I agree with you Candie, being healthier is a positive thing to be congratulated on.

However I think there is more of an issue with the fact that obese people who lose weight and become more healthy as a result feel a need to be congratulated in the first place.

Why should someone be applauded for being a normal healthy weight?

We should all be normal and healthy and have healthy body fat percentages.

I for one am not prepared to give praise to someone who should never have been that obese unhealthy size in the first place.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I don't think anyone asked her to turn this thread into her personal blog

You're right.
    This is AH, I should never have even tried and used myself as an example to try and explain anything.

Who needs balance when all most people came into this thread for was a nice and warm flame-fest?

I apologise, I'll leave you to it.

I agree with you Candie, being healthier is a positive thing to be congratulated on.

However I think there is more of an issue with the fact that obese people who lose weight and become more healthy as a result feel a need to be congratulated in the first place.

Why should someone be applauded for being a normal healthy weight?

We should all be normal and healthy and have healthy body fat percentages.

I for one am not prepared to give praise to someone who should never have been that obese unhealthy size in the first place.

So if someone struggles for years to give up smoking, say, they deserve no encouragement? And no praise if they finally succeed?

Giving someone encouragement and some praise for tackling a very difficult thing isn't the same as endorsement.

I lost a dangerous amount of weight after a serious illness over Xmas. When I got on the scales yesterday, I was finally back to my normal weight. I was feckin' elated and I would have kissed the Elephant Man in celebration, because it took a lot of effort and it's been a long road,when I didn't have the energy.

I called several people and they all told me they were delighted and I loved the encouragement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

Losing weight is hard especially if you've been lazy and gotten into the bad habit of not eating right or exercising, I find what helps do is getting an active hobby (even playing soccer with friends twice a week is great cause there's alot of running involved) and cutting down on treats tends to help (my opinion anyway :) )Sadly its all about determination but once it gets into the routine then they'll do it naturally!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

So if I wanted to tackle my diet, I would have to move down to between 1300 - 1500 cal a day, and pretty much stick with this for the rest of my life to avoid any kind of yo-yoing.

Bollocks, get off the couch. 1300 calories is tiny.

So if someone struggles for years to give up smoking, say, they deserve no encouragement? And no praise if they finally succeed?

Giving someone encouragement and some praise for tackling a very difficult thing isn't the same as endorsement.

I lost a dangerous amount of weight after a serious illness over Xmas. When I got on the scales yesterday, I was finally back to my normal weight. I was feckin' elated and I would have kissed the Elephant Man in celebration, because it took a lot of effort and it's been a long road,when I didn't have the energy.

I called several people and they all told me they were delighted and I loved the encouragement. :)

You lost weight after a serious illness, which I'm sure was hideous for those people to see you go through, and for you to go through.
    I have no problem in congratulating you for getting back to your original, healthy weight.

But I still feel that a person who is obese without a valid medical reason, should not be applauded for losing weight.

Also, I wouldn't applaud someone who struggles to give up smoking if they finally manage to quit - its 2013, everyone in this country is aware of the health risks.

There's a lot of political correctness and mollycoddling in this thread, I think more people need to get a grip and stop fooling themselves into thinking obesity is acceptable - it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'm tall, muscular and good looking and I don't wear A&F cloths because I think they're very metrosexual. I also don't like fat women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm tall, muscular and good looking

But you're from Cork.

But I still feel that a person who is obese without a valid medical reason, should not be applauded for losing weight.

Also, I wouldn't applaud someone who struggles to give up smoking if they finally manage to quit - its 2013, everyone in this country is aware of the health risks.

It's easy to say that if you've never had to lose weight or quit smoking. The fact that so many fail at both show that they are difficult so of course they should be applauded

• Advertisement

It's easy to say that if you've never had to lose weight or quit smoking. The fact that so many fail at both show that they are difficult so of course they should be applauded

I've had anorexia nervosa for many years as described in a previous post. I've been in recovery for 3 years.

I started smoking when I was 17 and gave up cold turkey for a year, but started smoking again when I was 22. I am well aware of the health risks and wouldn't seek applause if I gave up again - I shouldn't be smoking in the first place.

Please don't tell me what I "know" and "don't know".

But the fact is you SHOULD be applauded for doing well. Positive encouragement goes a long way to emotional health.

I take it, you haven't really had anyone be understanding of your position...or are around people who thing the "tough love" approach is the best way.

I've had anorexia nervosa for many years as described in a previous post. I've been in recovery for 3 years.

I started smoking when I was 17 and gave up cold turkey for a year, but started smoking again when I was 22. I am well aware of the health risks and wouldn't seek applause if I gave up again - I shouldn't be smoking in the first place.

What is so wrong with someone saying "well done you" rather than saying "tsk, you shouldn't have let it happen in the first place".

No need for unnecessary negativity.

I couldn't give a good goddamn what you know or don't know. My point still stands

I couldn't give a good goddamn what you know or don't know. My point still stands

My view also still stands, I'm not gonna give someone a big clap because they got up off their fat ass and stopped eating their feelings.

But the fact is you SHOULD be applauded for doing well. Positive encouragement goes a long way to emotional health.

I take it, you haven't really had anyone be understanding of your position...or are around people who thing the "tough love" approach is the best way.

I actually have a really supportive family and lots of supportive friends who try so hard to understand my position, and who have encouraged me to be happy.

None of them congratulate me for being in recovery, because it's unnecessary.

ash23 wrote: »
    What is so wrong with someone saying "well done you" rather than saying "tsk, you shouldn't have let it happen in the first place".

No need for unnecessary negativity.

I am quite a negative person to be fair..

The society we live in encourages people to consume (in various ways) so if someone lets themselves get to the point of obesity that's essentially their own choice. As is their choice to then lose that weight.

It should be acknowledged, but to go as far as to congratulate someone is ridiculous in my opinion.

So you really wouldn't congratulate someone who's managed to gain weight and fight a serious disorder? as "they shouldn't have let themselves get the way in the first place".

Stay away from giving advice. Because you're attitude just encourages people to go "well, I'm already this weight, why bother doing anything, nobody cares anyway."
    "I actually have a really supportive family and lots of supportive friends "
    This strikes me as something, someone says when they actually don't have that much support but don't want to admit, that the people they love, don't understand.

There's a lot of political correctness and mollycoddling in this thread, I think more people need to get a grip and stop fooling themselves into thinking obesity is acceptable - it's not.

This kind of thing is said a lot on the internet, but it's just not true.

No one on this thread is saying obesity is acceptable, not even the people struggling with it. Quite the opposite in fact, as detailing your struggle to overcome it isn't exactly an endorsement.

I don't know where the political correctness comes in, or the mollycoddling?:confused: The opposite is my general observation.

Congratulations on the 3 years of recovery you've had. I hope you have many more and I hope, regardless of what you personally feel, that the people around you give you all the support, encouragement, and praise you need.

I'll never agree with you though.:)

• Advertisement

So you really wouldn't congratulate someone who's managed to gain weight and fight a serious disorder? as "they shouldn't have let themselves get the way in the first place".

Stay away from giving advice. Because you're attitude just encourages people to go "well, I'm already this weight, why bother doing anything, nobody cares anyway."

This strikes me as something, someone says when they actually don't have that much support but don't want to admit, that the people they love, don't understand.

I have a mental illness for which I take medication, and I'm still in therapy every second week. Before this I had absolutely no control over my illness.

If you would care to read my posts correctly I have never once put down anyone, be they obese or anorexic, that suffers due to mental or physical illness.

Also I'm not giving advice, I never would, the only thing I could ever advise is for people to seek help from medical professionals, be it their gp, counsellors, etc.

It's easy to attack me because I'm one person sharing an absolutely honest opinion, but I bet if an anonymous poll was done more people would show disdain for non-illness related obesity than at present.

Edit: thank you for the comment Candie, although we'll never agree I respect other's opinions and take them on board. Perhaps in time I'll come to accept the other side of the story.

Edit: thank you for the comment Candie, although we'll never agree I respect other's opinions and take them on board. Perhaps in time I'll come to accept the other side of the story.

I hope in time too JD, that you'll realise that you've done a very difficult thing in your life, and you deserve that praise and encouragement. Because you really do.:)

But being overweight, especially obese, IS serious. Many die from heart conditions in their 40/50's. Just because it's not labeled "mental" doesn't mean it isn't, yet.

Alot of doctors see the seriousness and give encouragement and congratulate those who reach a healthy weight. Why? because it's serious, and not such an easy thing to do. If it was. People wouldn't be overweight. Not many actually LIKE their body.

The only reason overweight is more disdainful. Is because the media makes out underweight to be perfection. Regardless of the cause.
    ______
    You did say no one congratulated you for being in recovery because "it wasn't necessary". Which is the same as targeting those with weight issues due to illness.
    Because you should be congratulated, over-coming any difficulty is worth congratulating.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I really think that anybody offended by these comments should just get over it, after all, weight can be controlled if a person tries hard enough. People have a choice when it comes to their lifestyle and there are very few out there that can make excuses for it.

Not that Abercrombie and Fitch would be the motivational factor in losing weight in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If fatties boycott clothes that they can't fit into anyway, doesn't life just go on as normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Ye know what? I'm going to climb my high-horse here (as some might presume I'm doing ) and say after reading some of the nasty, judgemental comments on this thread, this quote by Aldous Huxley springs to mind. I'm no saint and I can be a cow when I feel the need calls for it but I'd love if people stood back and stopped carrying on like teenagers into their adulthood and treated decent humans with a bit of respect and compassion. The world would be a much more pleasant place. Jesus christ life is hard enough, is it not?

“It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'try to be a little kinder”-
    Aldous Huxley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why do some humans end up overweight and yet I can think of no other animal species where this happens.

Seems that the reason is that they eat too much of the wrong food and don't burn off the calories.

Even kids these days don't seem to exercise as much as we did, everyone wants to live as long as they can and it baffles me why some people put their lives at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Why do some humans end up overweight and yet I can think of no other animal species where this happens.

Uh... dogs? Cats?

The pigeons in Dublin are huuuuuuuge.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Uh... dogs? Cats?

Yeah because their owners overfeed them and they don't have to work to catch their food.

Ever seen an overweight wolf?

Yeah because their owners overfeed them and they don't have to work to catch their food.

Ever seen an overweight wolf?

Lol.

Lots of wolves in Galway, yeah?

• Advertisement

Lol.

Lots of wolves in Galway, yeah?

Actually there used to be until that scumbag Cromwell killed them off.

But I think you know the point I was making.

Actually there used to be until that scumbag Cromwell killed them off.

But I think you know the point I was making.

Not really.

Not really.

Really?

People who sit down all day, do no exercise and overeat = fat
    People who exercise and eat correctly = healthy weight

Really?

People who sit down all day, do no exercise and overeat = fat
    People who exercise and eat correctly = healthy weight

Yeah I get that but what was your point about animals?

Yeah I get that but what was your point about animals?

When I mentioned animals in my first post I was talking about wild animals that have to use energy to catch their food, which keeps them fit and strong and not overweight, the other poster mentioned cats and dogs and I was pointing out that yes if overfed by their owners and not exercised then they will be overweight.

When I mentioned animals in my first post I was talking about wild animals that have to use energy to catch their food, which keeps them fit and strong and not overweight, the other poster mentioned cats and dogs and I was pointing out that yes if overfed by their owners and not exercised then they will be overweight.

Humans aren't wild though. We couldn't be anymore domesticated.

Not really sure why you're relating us with animals - it's obvious in most cases that if you exercise and eat modestly, you will remain a healthy weight. Not sure where the animal analogy comes in. Not being smart, like.

Not really sure why you're relating us with animals - it's obvious in most cases that if you exercise and eat modestly, you will remain a healthy weight. Not sure where the animal analogy comes in. Not being smart, like.

Correct but most living creatures, animal or human will be healthy if their calorie intake doesn't exceed energy use.

Let's leave the animals to one side altogether, I know what it's like to be fat as up until the age of about 14 I was very overweight and I was called all the usual names and it did hurt my feelings.

But it was my own fault as I was overeating when your fat you don't want to play sports. But no one could lose the weight for me so I totally changed my eating habits and started walking 3 miles a day and 24 years later I'm still a healthy weight.

I've seen both sides of it and been on the receiving end of horrible comments but sometimes overweight people have a victim mentality don't want to take responsibility for their lives and health.

Correct but most living creatures, animal or human will be healthy if their calorie intake doesn't exceed energy use.

Let's leave the animals to one side altogether, I know what it's like to be fat as up until the age of about 14 I was very overweight and I was called all the usual names and it did hurt my feelings.

But it was my own fault as I was overeating when your fat you don't want to play sports. But no one could lose the weight for me so I totally changed my eating habits and started walking 3 miles a day and 24 years later I'm still a healthy weight.

I've seen both sides of it and been on the receiving end of horrible comments but sometimes overweight people have a victim mentality don't want to take responsibility for their lives and health.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Like everyone. It's usually a personality trait that's not exclusive to overweight people.

You didn't deserve to get the piss ripped out of you. No decent person does.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Seems that the reason is that they eat too much of the wrong food and don't burn off the calories.

Even kids these days don't seem to exercise as much as we did, everyone wants to live as long as they can and it baffles me why some people put their lives at risk.

That's interesting actually. I've been reading a lot about veganism and nutrition recently, and we're the only animals who cook our food.
    We're also the only animals who get diseases like cancer.
    Obviously, domesticated animals get cancer because we feed them.

Point is that most of us live to eat instead of eating to live.

And we weren't designed to eat the food that makes up the majority of our diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Eh... we are animals.:confused:

When it comes to health and eating habits, it would be a very good idea to compare humans to other animals. We might even learn something from them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement