Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

15678911»

Comments

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    That's interesting actually. I've been reading a lot about veganism and nutrition recently, and we're the only animals who cook our food.
    We're also the only animals who get diseases like cancer.
    Obviously, domesticated animals get cancer because we feed them.

That's quite a big leap.
    Point is that most of us live to eat instead of eating to live.
    And we weren't designed to eat the food that makes us the majority of our diet.

Another large conclusion jump there. I certainly don't live to eat, and I don't think I know many who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

None of them congratulate me for being in recovery, because it's unnecessary.

You see, and pardon the bluntness, but this kind of thinking is symptomatic of the shame and guilt and self-flagellation that drives eating disorders in the first place.

When I struggled with an ED it was because my self worth was so low that I thought I didn't deserve food, and any 'slip up' on whatever ridiculous diet I was on at the time meant I was a failure as a human being, any skipped exercise binge meant I lost the right to eat, etc etc. If I hadn't found patience with myself and forgiveness of myself for being human and sometimes bingeing on chocolate, sometimes gaining a few pounds, sometimes stress eating etc...I'd still be caught in that trap of self hatred. So I think it's pretty damn important to give yourself a good hard pat on the back for doing something good for yourself from time to time.

I hate the judgement and obsession that people have about other people's weight. Unless it's a family member or friend about whom you have actual love and concern, how exactly does it affect your life if someone is a size 6 or 16?

A&F dude is quite obviously an absolute knob jockey with his own self image issues, you only have to look at his face to see that. If you're so morally opposed to his laughable marketing ploy of "only slim, good looking people", then don't shop A&F, simple as. Not as if you'll be missing out anyway, all I see when I walk in is some stupidly expensive hoodies and a few failed models walking around spraying cheap cologne all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Candie wrote: »
    That's quite a big leap.

Another large conclusion jump there. I certainly don't live to eat, and I don't think I know many who do.

Fair enough, but it's quite a big coincidence.

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who would panic at the thought of going a day without food, when in reality we'd be grand for a few weeks without it.

I know a lot of people who do. Seriously the amount of pictures people tweet of what they're eating just shows how much our society revolves around food.

Fair enough, but it's quite a big coincidence.

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who would panic at the thought of going a day without food, when in reality we'd be grand for a few weeks without it.

I know a lot of people who do. Seriously the amount of pictures people tweet of what they're eating just shows how much our society revolves around food.

I don't think an interest in cookery equates to revolving around food though.

I panic at the thought of a day without my car being available, because I rely on it. I can easily get public transport but I'd rather not. I imagine most people would feel the same about going a day without eating. They know they can do it, but there's absolutely no reason why they would want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That's interesting actually. I've been reading a lot about veganism and nutrition recently, and we're the only animals who cook our food.

And we weren't designed to eat the food that makes up the majority of our diet.

We're not designed to eat meat? Even though we've been eating it for over 2 million years (and cooking food for at least 200,000 years of that)? And despite the fact we have meat digesting enzymes? And some of our essential nutrients are only available through animal products?

If you did a little research outside vegan propaganda websites (and didn't swallow every piece of bull**** that you read somewhere) you would realise most of the statements you made are false.

beks101 wrote: »
    You see, and pardon the bluntness, but this kind of thinking is symptomatic of the shame and guilt and self-flagellation that drives eating disorders in the first place.

When I struggled with an ED it was because my self worth was so low that I thought I didn't deserve food, and any 'slip up' on whatever ridiculous diet I was on at the time meant I was a failure as a human being, any skipped exercise binge meant I lost the right to eat, etc etc. If I hadn't found patience with myself and forgiveness of myself for being human and sometimes bingeing on chocolate, sometimes gaining a few pounds, sometimes stress eating etc...I'd still be caught in that trap of self hatred. So I think it's pretty damn important to give yourself a good hard pat on the back for doing something good for yourself from time to time.

I hate the judgement and obsession that people have about other people's weight. Unless it's a family member or friend about whom you have actual love and concern, how exactly does it affect your life if someone is a size 6 or 16?

A&F dude is quite obviously an absolute knob jockey with his own self image issues, you only have to look at his face to see that. If you're so morally opposed to his laughable marketing ploy of "only slim, good looking people", then don't shop A&F, simple as. Not as if you'll be missing out anyway, all I see when I walk in is some stupidly expensive hoodies and a few failed models walking around spraying cheap cologne all over the place.

I couldn't agree more with your first points. I think support and encouragement are important whenever anyone does anything difficult. And the judgement levelled at people who fall either side of the ideal is aways of the particularly self righteous and disdainful variety.

BUT I don't think that we can't criticise A&F for picking on people who look a certain way, and then refer disparagingly to the people who work there. Cuts both ways.

I don't think an interest in cookery equates to revolving around food though.

I panic at the thought of a day without my car being available, because I rely on it. I can easily get public transport but I'd rather not. I imagine most people would feel the same about going a day without eating. They know they can do it, but there's absolutely no reason why they would want to.

We don't have a problem with too many cars.
    We do have a problem with too much food.

We don't have a problem with too many cars.
    We do have a problem with too much food.

Not the analogy I was making, nor even close to it.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    We're not designed to eat meat? Even though we've been eating it for over 2 million years (and cooking food for at least 200,000 years of that)? And despite the fact we have meat digesting enzymes? And some of our essential nutrients are only available through animal products?

If you did a little research outside vegan propaganda websites (and didn't swallow every piece of bull**** that you read somewhere) you would realise most of the statements you made are false.

I never said we weren't designed to eat meat. We weren't designed to eat processed crap full of sugar.

You just twisted my words.

I've never been on a "vegan propaganda website" and i'm not a vegan either.

Btw a lot of people are just fine without animal products in their diet:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

I hope that A&F guy is trolling for some publicity! I don't know anyone who would wear his horrible clothes. They're terrible!

Quote from Kilkenny12: I've been reading a lot about veganism and nutrition recently, and we're the only animals who cook our food

I'd be very worried if my dog started cooking food. Or a lion. Or a bear etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

People over eat for lots of reasons that are psychological.one of my friends is a dietician in the UK and told me a story before of a girl who was morbidly obese and when they delved into the origins of her eating behavior it turned out that she puposfully gorged herself when she was teen so that her father might stop raping her.
    Fair enough that this dude wants perfect people wearing his clothes but if.only perfect people bought his clothes he'd be brokey.
    Also their clothes are really small,I tried on an co shirt last weak and nearly.snapped it across my shoulders,never had that problem with xl in any other brand

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Obviously, domesticated animals get cancer because we feed them

Did you just make this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I couldn't agree more with your first points. I think support and encouragement are important whenever anyone does anything difficult. And the judgement levelled at people who fall either side of the ideal is aways of the particularly self righteous and disdainful variety.

BUT I don't think that we can't criticise A&F for picking on people who look a certain way, and then refer disparagingly to the people who work there. Cuts both ways.

Touché. Point taken.

They're all rides no doubt, and each doing their part to up-keep the brand image.

There's no escaping the fact that yer man's face is just ridiculous though.

beks101 wrote: »

There's no escaping the fact that yer man's face is just ridiculous though.

None at all. :D

ash23 wrote: »
    Recommended daily allowance for a woman is 2000kcals.

That's sort of an average though, afaik.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/08/why-does-the-fda-recommend-2-000-calories-per-day/243092/

Depends on weight as well, most certainly, if not other factors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

smurgen wrote: »
    People over eat for lots of reasons that are psychological.one of my friends is a dietician in the UK and told me a story before of a girl who was morbidly obese and when they delved into the origins of her eating behavior it turned out that she puposfully gorged herself when she was teen so that her father might stop raping her.
    Fair enough that this dude wants perfect people wearing his clothes but if.only perfect people bought his clothes he'd be brokey.
    Also their clothes are really small,I tried on an co shirt last weak and nearly.snapped it across my shoulders,never had that problem with xl in any other brand

Not uncommon and a perfect example of how the problem of obesity is not so black and white. Yet according to some posters on here, they'd have no sympathy for a case like this because they don't have a recognised medical illness, wheras if they did, they'd understand the obesity then. But otherwise? Nope, they're just a fat lazy bastard :rolleyes:

Dimithy wrote: »
    Did you just make this up?

No, i simply said it was interesting how we are so fat and sick in comparison to animals, in response to somebody comparing us to animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

No, i simply said it was interesting how we are so fat and sick in comparison to animals, in response to somebody comparing us to animals.

Animals don't work 40 hour weeks in office jobs, spend long commutes in cars/buses/trains, etc.

We're getting more and more unhealthy as we increasingly live sedentary work lives, as technology expands to help us get from A to B.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6epFa4kRzBU/TLZ12vd2PWI/AAAAAAAAAVk/bpnOnCqdLwc/s1600/computer+evolution.jpg

Animals don't work 40 hour weeks in office jobs, spend long commutes in cars/buses/trains, etc.

We're getting more and more unhealthy as we increasingly live sedentary work lives, as technology expands to help us get from A to B.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6epFa4kRzBU/TLZ12vd2PWI/AAAAAAAAAVk/bpnOnCqdLwc/s1600/computer+evolution.jpg

I agree.
    But obviously our diet plays a major role in our health.

You made the following definitive statements:

And we weren't designed to eat the food that makes up the majority of our diet.

Although you first state we're the only animals who get diseases like cancer, then state that domesticated animals get cancer.

So which is it?:)

• Advertisement

You made the following definitive statements:

Although you first state we're the only animals who get diseases like cancer, then state that domesticated animals get cancer.

So which is it?:)

Both, as most dogs and cats (domesticated animals) eat the same food as us,(we feed them).

Let's not take it out of context. Somebody (Galway guy) made the observation that humans are overweight but he could not think of any other animal species where this happens.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the amount of pictures people tweet of what they're eating
    in fairness, those people deserve a slap

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Both, as most dogs and cats (domesticated animals) eat the same food as us,(we feed them).

Let's not take it out of context. Somebody (Galway guy) made the observation that humans are overweight but he could not think of any other animal species where this happens.

So we aren't the only animals who get cancer? Which is what you said here:

This is the part that Dsmithy quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Fair enough. But let's not get too tangled up in the cancer debate. Cancer is caused by more than pizza:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_facial_tumour_disease

My personal position is take care of yourself. Without your health, you've not got much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Zoo animals regularly get obese (also depressed and psychotic) due to the drastic change in lifestyle and, sometimes, diet. One could posit that modern humans have a similar drastic lifestyle change compared with our hunter gatherer forebearers. Even as far back as a few hundred years ago, most humans would be very active and unlikely to have excess amounts of food at their fingertips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Prolly off thread but A&F are **** clothes. Them and Hollister, J1 clothes i call them.

Grand for bud light drinking americans but anybody with any sense of style wouldn't wear that crap. It's like junior RL or Hilfiger (also ****)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Wild animals do get cancer.There is no context that makes your statement correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

I think this is just a media stunt. To make the slim people feel amazing when they wear their brand and make the fat people so outraged that they diet just to get into their clothes.. win win..

Again, big leap.

Just to clear this up further, domesticated animals aren't the only ones who get cancer.

http://www.livescience.com/9680-cancer-kills-wild-animals.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/opinion/sunday/our-animal-natures.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

There's no such thing as big boned.

http://i.imgur.com/DzFAJyU.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Quote from Kilkenny12: I've been reading a lot about veganism and nutrition recently, and we're the only animals who cook our food

I'd be very worried if my dog started cooking food. Or a lion. Or a bear etc :rolleyes:

If I said I disagreed 'because it was about time the fat bitch did something around the house' would it break the thread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Arcsin wrote: »
    There's no such thing as big boned.

http://i.imgur.com/DzFAJyU.jpg

Say that to John Merrick's face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Eh... we are animals.:confused:

When it comes to health and eating habits, it would be a very good idea to compare humans to other animals. We might even learn something from them.

Oh are we? News to me! :confused:

That wasn't my point but thanks for stating the obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Oh are we? News to me! :confused:

That wasn't my point but thanks for stating the obvious.

He kinda has a point tbh, seemingly we share something like 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Hi,

One of my friends alerted me to this and I think we should boycot all A&F stores in Eire.

What kind of message does it send to kids when they think you have to be skinny to be 'cool'?

What do you think?

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

This hit my fb newsfeed this morning and I thought of your thread here.
    Watch the Video.

Advertisement