Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Does he not realise that skinny people are not always hot or popular or cool??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ugh, don't Google image search abercrombie CEO if you've eaten recently :/

Laughed at the comparison with future Biff :D

Biff_confused.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Phew, there won't be anymore of their awful ads in my Gigantic Asses magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ok its a dick move but then again abercrombie and fitch is for dicks IMO but having more clothing in the smaller sizes (not tiny but healthy) might be an effective way to motivate people to loose weight which is always good

Ugh, don't Google image search abercrombie CEO if you've eaten recently :/

Don't google him if you have a wasp phobia either because that's exactly what you'll look like if you get stung in the face repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Big Bottom wrote: »
    This is what trying to be funny but really looking foolish looks like.
    Nah. That was funny.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Falthyron wrote: »
    Change can only happen from within, OP.

I would strongly suggest giving this some thought.

Jesus... Even their website is dark and horrible looking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

That CEO is one ugly cnut.:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

HondaSami wrote: »
    He is his avvy, models are all in his dreams, right wibbs:P
    Airfix.
    lkionm wrote: »
    And the watches so he efficiently organise his day while he is making the sex.
    Stopwatches.
    He mods the wimmins and the sex.

Wibbs = God
    I was gonna say an impotent god but that's going just that bit too far for my liking... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

By twats for twats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I have no idea why anyone would want to wear that overpriced, "mall of America lets all look the same" crap anyway:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

ok its a dick move but then again abercrombie and fitch is for dicks IMO but having more clothing in the smaller sizes (not tiny but healthy) might be an effective way to motivate people to loose weight which is always good

Social engineering, eh?

Social engineering, eh?

doesn't sound to bad to me:)
    I say we start by making doors smaller keep em on the street:D

doesn't sound to bad to me:)
    I say we start by making doors smaller keep em on the street:D

Then there'll be people strolling around poured into ill-fitting clothes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

**** Brand infairness

Then there'll be people strolling around poured into ill-fitting clothes...

we'll all get matching jumpsuits

we'll all get matching jumpsuits

Am, excuse me, I think giant babygros are where it's at now. Get with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

To be fair, they don't stock over size 14, which is big enough anyway! Can't blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

This is your man - http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mike-Jeffries-AF.jpg

Look at the head on him. He's like a deformed Gary Busey

Jaysus he's rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭briany

funk-you wrote: »
    You've just done exactly what you're complaining about.

-Funk

Mmmhmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Just having a look at their FB page now and they are getting a ton of abuse over yer mans comments,good enough for them.Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Festy wrote: »
    Just having a look at their FB page now and they are getting a ton of abuse over yer mans comments,good enough for them.Ha

Good.That is such dumb marketing - deliberately excluding anyone at all from buying their clothes.I hope the kids are smart enough too see what a dickhead he is and turn against his boring ultra casual brand.

Someone please post this Spinal Tap video on their FB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Isn't size 14 pretty big? Why is it acceptable to be over weight? Your putting your health at risk.

No, I would say a size 12-14 is pretty average actually.

I think the CEO comes across as a bit of a douche, but he's not a lone voice in the fashion industry. Karl Lagerfeld made similar comments a while back and got lambasted for it too. The fashion industry thrives on women starving themselves to look a certain way.

I understand your frustrations, OP, but the reality is, many people in the fashion industry people view women over a certain size with disdain. By all means, go ahead and boycott their products, but I doubt it will make any difference in the scheme of things. Spend your money somewhere else where it may be appreciated more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

There are a fair number of brands (BCBG Max Azaria), off of the top of my head) that do not produce clothes over a US size 12. The difference is, their CEOs do not come out and call half of the public a bunch of fatties.

If I were a shareholder, I would be livid: it is one thing to 'protect' the brand image by only selling to a certain customer, but if you look who is actually in Abercrombie stores, it is skinny teenagers and their overweight parents. I also have to wonder how wise this was, considering their U.S. sales have tanked over the last several years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As I said to one of my mates earlier, there are some complete eejits out there who actually will in fact want to be associated with this kind of snobbery, that's why it works. They know it's not going to damage their sales very much because they know how many muppets there are out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi,

One of my friends alerted me to this and I think we should boycot all A&F stores in Eire.

What kind of message does it send to kids when they think you have to be skinny to be 'cool'?

What do you think?

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

Shouldn't be too difficult, I never saw the point in paying so much money for such ugly clothes anyway.

No. Have a look around any shopping centre in the country - you will not get people losing weight to conform with one company's marketing when the marketing of other companies is aimed at them getting as much tasteless, fat-laden fast food into their gobs as they possibly can.

What you do get is people who would be a size 18 squashing themselves into size 14 clothes.
    And while I don't mind other people's figures at all (in fact, I prefer people with more rather than less), that's not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

He's just trying to incentivise them to lose weight.

Drop down to size x and you too can wear our great clothes...seems reasonable to me.

Next someone will be complaining that the prices prevent poor people from wearing their clothes.

Political correctness gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hi,

One of my friends alerted me to this and I think we should boycot all A&F stores in Eire.

What kind of message does it send to kids when they think you have to be skinny to be 'cool'?

What do you think?

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

His brand his rules. Since when did it become socially acceptable to be obese any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why should I boycott A&F, I'm not fat.
    And if you are it doesn't matter if you do.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Why should I boycott A&F, I'm not fat.
    And if you are it doesn't matter if you do.

Is it even possible to boycott something that you aren't allowed to use / purchase?

Do retailed charge more for XXL sizes? If not, why not? They cost more to manufacture (more material) and more to ship and store (more volume).

His brand his rules. Since when did it become socially acceptable to be obese any way?

Wow, I didn't know that my weight was socially unacceptable.
    I shall cover myself in a burqa and never leave the house again, lest the sight of me offends upstanding citizens like your good self or this CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

You seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder.

that one must have escaped the bag of Doritos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Lies.

You might like them as a person, but are not attracted to them sexually.

Extremely obese women are not attractive.

i have a friend that would beg to differ.

he LOVES chunky ladies... he never goes for skinny women.

his back is fecked though

My mate Sid likes big birds.

Lies.

You might like them as a person, but are not attracted to them sexually.

Extremely obese women are not attractive.

Oh, good grief.
    The old "I don't like it, so nobody else possibly can" spiel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Drkitkat

That A&F CEO is too sad for words. Pass the donuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Smidge wrote: »
    I have no idea why anyone would want to wear that overpriced, "mall of America lets all look the same" crap anyway:confused:

I assume it's a similar price to Tommy Hilfiger? I wandered into a TH shop recently, only to break into spontaneous laughter after reading a few price tags. You could go on a decent holiday for the price of an 'outfit'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I like A&F and Hollister (oh noes!) and this bloke has just drummed up a whole load of free publicity for his brand.

Clever and as said, if he only wants slim hot chicks wearing his gear then so be it. Walking into one of their stores in the States is awesome for both staff and clientele reasons :eek: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Since obese people started lashing out at everyone that isn't obese by calling them skinny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Since obese people started lashing out at everyone that isn't obese by calling them skinny.
    Hollywood seems to think it's cool to place fat chicks in movies as the funny character these days. Like in pitch perfect, bridesmaids etc. I have no idea why...

LOL at the Abercrombie clothes are hideous comments, after hours users obviously have a very poor taste in clothes. A&F and Hollister are by far my favourite clothes especially their shirts and polos. Not only do they make some of the nicest looking and best fitting clothes but they are very good value (when bought in the US) and very good quality.

Some here would spontaneously ignite at the sight of my wardrobe I'd say, its packed with A&F and Hollister :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

It's a nasty article and the comments are plain auld mean and no doubt it's made a load of young people already going through the insecurity of puberty feel even worse. I can't see how that's a good thing? I'm not lying when I say I see at least one anorexic women walking through Madrid a day and it's a sorry sight. This is a modern phenomenon and it's not helped by this kind of ****. I totally agree that overweight is not healthy but there's no need to be such a prick about it. This won't encourage them to lose weight (as if that was his aim :rolleyes:) but instead make them feel even ****tier about themselves. Marketing at its scummiest.

And the state of the man saying it! Glass house and stones, wha?

The clothes are boring and lack any style or imagination and if his target market is people who choose to look like everyone else, best of look to him but don't pretend to yourself there's anything cool about your clothing line ffs.

It must be awful to be such a prick.

It's a nasty article and the comments are plain auld mean and no doubt it's made a load of young people already going through the insecurity of puberty feel even worse. I can't see how that's a good thing? I'm not lying when I say I see at least one anorexic women walking through Madrid a day and it's a sorry sight. This is a modern phenomenon and it's not helped by this kind of ****.

And how many obese women do you see for each anorexic one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

And the state of the man saying it! Glass house and stones, wha?

I don't get it, if he was handsome would it be ok for him to have said that he doesn't want fat people wearing his brand?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And how many obese women do you see for each anorexic one?

Here in Madrid....almost none.

I don't really get your point. A morbidly obese woman is as sorry as sight as an anorexic woman but I still wouldn't go out of my way to insult them.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Honestly B? I wouldn't. Not that it's gonna ruin her day or anything, but there it is.

I know that, wibbs :p I found the old thread I was talking about and there you were going "no! not for me!"
    Everyone else did though
    LOL at the Abercrombie clothes are hideous comments, after hours users obviously have a very poor taste in clothes. A&F and Hollister are by far my favourite clothes
    Where to start :pac:

discus wrote: »
    I don't get it, if he was handsome would it be ok for him to have said that he doesn't want fat people wearing his brand?

No. I just like insulting ****heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

The OP reminds me of a girl I used to live with. She told me on a weekly basis that my girlfriend was a "skinny b*tch", but you can imagine the nuclear fallout if I dared to call her a "fat wh*re". Not that I would.

The CEO of A&F is trying to create a strong brand, being controversial about it is like free advertising, and 95% of the people he alienises will be people he doesn't care about. I wouldn't touch their crappy clothes anyway.

• Advertisement

Here in Madrid....almost none.

I don't really get your point.

http://www.oecd.org/fr/els/systemes-sante/obesityandtheeconomicsofpreventionfitnotfat-spainkeyfacts.htm

So do you walk around with your eyes closed or are the obese people in Spain barred from Madrid? :confused:

Obesity is a far greater problem than anorexia. Companies not making clothes for obese people can help ensure it is not seen as normal as it is a huge health risk.

Advertisement