Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If you're a bloke who works out their clothes are useless also. I'm not even that big and a xxl t shirt was like a babys t shirt on me. Never had that in any other shop.

Bought a pair of nice shorts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Zebra3 wrote: »
    http://www.oecd.org/fr/els/systemes-sante/obesityandtheeconomicsofpreventionfitnotfat-spainkeyfacts.htm

So do you walk around with your eyes closed or are the obese people in Spain barred from Madrid? :confused:

Obesity is a far greater problem than anorexia. Companies not making clothes for obese people can help ensure it is not seen as normal as it is a huge health risk.

I'm talking about Madrid and I can't speak for the rest of Spain. Spain also has the second highest incidents of anorexia in Europe but it's not something that talked about as much in the media. Genuinely, people are very slim here (in Madrid) but as I said, an obese person is as sorry a sight as an anorexic. Fact. You don't see morbidly obese people walking around this city. Come here and look for yourself. I'm out and about a lot and anorexia or verging on it is a more common sight (in Madrid). If it was obesity, I'd comment on that. Simply commenting on what I see.

I'm talking about the mean comments from this guy. I'm not denying that obesity is a problem but I don't see any need to be nasty. And do you really believe these companies are encouraging people to lose weight? Really? Come on! Don't be so naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, good grief.
    The old "I don't like it, so nobody else possibly can" spiel.

Oh dear no, The big is beatutiful brigade.

Could you be possibly sexually attrracted to an obese person?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Come back OP, this debate needs more of your well thought out opinions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

lkionm wrote: »

I'm hugely attracted to obese men. Haven't ever been with one though, but I love really big men :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The only reason it bothers me is because they stock large size mens clothes to facilitate "athletic" men. But they won't do the same because they feel women of a larger size are fat as opposed to being athletic.
    If you take a woman who is 6ft and an athlete, she would need a large size (think Amazonian body type).
    If a man needs a big size he's "well built" or "athletic". Whereas a woman must just be fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

You lost me at "Eire" OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm hugely attracted to obese men. Haven't ever been with one though, but I love really big men :o

Yet hate cuddles :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yet hate cuddles :confused:

Yeah, I hate cuddles again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Could I be? Let's see... why, yes, yes I could.

I don't get how people could be attracted to anyone with a shaved head, but I don't go around proclaiming that it's impossible to be attracted to someone like that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    The only reason it bothers me is because they stock large size mens clothes to facilitate "athletic" men. But they won't do the same because they feel women of a larger size are fat as opposed to being athletic.
    If you take a woman who is 6ft and an athlete, she would need a large size (think Amazonian body type).
    If a man needs a big size he's "well built" or "athletic". Whereas a woman must just be fat?

Didn't seem to in the shop I was in, unless the "athlete" in mind was a straw weight boxer. As I said, xxl was painted on to me and I'm not especially big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

How you doin :cool:

Said in jest...no need to infract me for flirtin...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

With the level of ignorance on display here, nearly all of you should be ashamed of yourselves! I can understand the difference between a bit of banter and just all out ignorance and rudeness! Whoever it was that said, "since when is it socially acceptable to be obese?", has shown themselves to be a small minded, ignorant, uneducated moron of the highest order! Since when is it socially acceptable to be rude and judge people by the way that they look? Isn't that discrimination? Just like ageism, and sexism and racism!! must be a hard life being so perfect! I also understand the health issues that arise from obesity and anorexia, and while these are different from being "too fat" or "too skinny", ultimately it's a personal issue, which can arise for many different reasons, and anyone with negative comments should perhaps keep them to themselves! In relation to the A&F ceo, it's massivly ironic that a man who looks like gary busey has just been bobbing for apples in a bucket full of wasps should be critical of people who aren't beautiful enough! Pots and kettles and all that! How would it go down if a "fashion" label, and I use the word "fashion" loosely, stated that the didn't want black people to wear their clothes, or irish people??

Could I be? Let's see... why, yes, yes I could.

I don't get how people could be attracted to anyone with a shaved head, but I don't go around proclaiming that it's impossible to be attracted to someone like that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

Same with an anoerexic person. opposite ends of the scales.

Their body just isnt sexually pleasing to look at.

Obviously I'm sure they are lovely people and that is what the friendzone is for but I could not imagine getting the ride off them. It would put me off aand I would say many others.

Unfortunately I cant have sex with her personality.

With the level of ignorance on display here, nearly all of you should be ashamed of yourselves! I can understand the difference between a bit of banter and just all out ignorance and rudeness! Whoever it was that said, "since when is it socially acceptable to be obese?", has shown themselves to be a small minded, ignorant, uneducated moron of the highest order! Since when is it socially acceptable to be rude and judge people by the way that they look? Isn't that discrimination? Just like ageism, and sexism and racism!! must be a hard life being so perfect! I also understand the health issues that arise from obesity and anorexia, and while these are different from being "too fat" or "too skinny", ultimately it's a personal issue, which can arise for many different reasons, and anyone with negative comments should perhaps keep them to themselves! In relation to the A&F ceo, it's massivly ironic that a man who looks like gary busey has just been bobbing for apples in a bucket full of wasps should be critical of people who aren't beautiful enough! Pots and kettles and all that! How would it go down if a "fashion" label, and I use the word "fashion" loosely, stated that the didn't want black people to wear their clothes, or irish people??
    Are you lost?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Didn't seem to in the shop I was in, unless the "athlete" in mind was a straw weight boxer. As I said, xxl was painted on to me and I'm not especially big.

Nonsense, if there XXL isn't fitting you its time to lay of the steroids. I have seen plenty of muscular people wearing there clothes, even the people working in the shop are usually fairly big (in the athletic sense)

Also there clothes are supposed to be fitted not hanging off you like you see a lot of people dressed.

Same with an anoerexic person. opposite ends of the scales.

Their body just isnt sexually pleasing to look at.

Obviously I'm sure they are lovely people and that is what the friendzone is for but I could not imagine getting the ride off them. It would put me off aand I would say many others.

Unfortunately I cant have sex with her personality.

Glad you finally seem to begin to grasp that what you think is beautiful and what you think isn't is not what other people think is beautiful or not. It's the first step in the right direction.

There are plenty of people attracted to all different shapes and sizes of humans, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to sexuality.

Personally, I prefer overweight to normal weight. I had the odd sexual partner in the past who were slim, one fellow was even positively skinny (as in, there was more than one bone that could be felt), and it doesn't really do much for me at all.
    But I'm just one person, and there's billions others out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

No, I would say a size 12-14 is pretty average actually.

Just because it is now the national average, doesn't mean it is healthy. Yes it definitely depends on a person's height, but for the majority of Irish women a size 14 is overweight.

I'm 5'3 and would be overweight if I was a 12, it's just too big for my height and build. Honestly I think people are kidding themselves into thinking they're not fat by saying 'well it's the average size now'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Since when is it socially acceptable to be rude and judge people by the way that they look? Isn't that discrimination? Just like ageism, and sexism and racism!!

You cant choose your age,skin colour or sex

you choose to be a lard arse

Glad you finally seem to begin to grasp that what you think is beautiful and what you think isn't is not what other people think is beautiful or not. It's the first step in the right direction.

There are plenty of people attracted to all different shapes and sizes of humans, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to sexuality.

Personally, I prefer overweight to normal weight. I had the odd sexual partner in the past who were slim, one fellow was even positively skinny (as in, there was more than one bone that could be felt), and it doesn't really do much for me at all.
    But I'm just one person, and there's billions others out there.

overweight is different to obese. Im on about a size 20 and beyond or a xxxxL for a guy.

Kinda too big to have sex or find any sexual organs without having to put on a miners hat and go digging.

• Advertisement

Nonsense, if there XXL isn't fitting you its time to lay of the steroids. I have seen plenty of muscular people wearing there clothes, even the people working in the shop are usually fairly big (in the athletic sense)

It's not nonsense. It was in a mall in Buffalo, New York just this October gone. Tried a few T Shirts, were red label I think for some sale thing?

I'm 5 foot 10 and roughly 14 stone and I don't take steroids. Me an my mate actually just burst out laughing at how small all the t shirts were. As I said though, bought a pair of shorts that fitted fine. Think my mate bought a hoodie that was xl and wasn't too tight but we went next door into American Eagle and also into Aeropostale and both had normal size t shirts.

overweight is different to obese. Im on about a size 20 and beyond or a xxxxL for a guy.

Kinda too big to have sex or find any sexual organs without having to put on a miners hat and go digging.

Sugar, until about 2 years ago I was a size 24, and I can't say I've ever had anyone complaining. And my husband is XXL. Easily.

Believe it or not, people reading your posts have by now got the message that you don't like overweight or obese people. And that's perfectly ok.

Just stop pretending nobody else does, either. Are you really that insecure about your own likes and dislikes that you have to pretend the rest of the world feels exactly the same?

You cant choose your age,skin colour or sex

you choose to be a lard arse

Not all the time! Same as people who are underweight! Sometimes there's contributing factors beyond a persons control without complex medical assistance!

I'm 5'3 and would be overweight if I was a 12, it's just too big for my height and build. Honestly I think people are kidding themselves into thinking they're not fat by saying 'well it's the average size now'.

And I'm 5'8 and when I was a looooot slimmer (as in, very fit and toned) I was a 14-16. Couldn't have pinched an inch. So just because you'd be fat as a 12, doesn't mean a 12 is always fat.

Are you lost?

Lol, I know, I know! I couldn't help myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

So just because you'd be fat as a 12, doesn't mean a 12 is always fat.

Which is why I said:
    Just because it is now the national average, doesn't mean it is healthy. Yes it definitely depends on a person's height, but for the majority of Irish women a size 14 is overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Also there clothes are supposed to be fitted not hanging off you like you see a lot of people dressed.

lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm talking about Madrid and I can't speak for the rest of Spain. Spain also has the second highest incidents of anorexia in Europe but it's not something that talked about as much in the media. Genuinely, people are very slim here (in Madrid) but as I said, an obese person is as sorry a sight as an anorexic. Fact. You don't see morbidly obese people walking around this city. Come here and look for yourself. I'm out and about a lot and anorexia or verging on it is a more common sight (in Madrid). If it was obesity, I'd comment on that. Simply commenting on what I see.
    From my experience of the place I'd agree with you. While yes you do see very overweight people, it's rare enough and you'd see less of the averagely overweight knocking about. They're smaller framed people in general. I noticed it when shopping(being dragged kicking and screaming) with an ex in Madrid. Specifically the clothes sizes for women(and men). Lots of 6's 8's and 10's, fewer 12's and 14's on the rack and almost nothing above that size. Similar thing shopping with a mate in Greece. As she put it jokingly "jesus I'm beginning to think I'm a fatty" and she's not even close to that. I'd also agree on the anorexia/keep as thin as possible mindset which is a lot stronger in the culture than here. We're a lot more accepting and of a healthier mindset on that score IMH.
    it's massivly ironic that a man who looks like gary busey has just been bobbing for apples in a bucket full of wasps should be critical of people who aren't beautiful enough!
    :pac::pac: Brilliantly put. I'm nicking that. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sugar, until about 2 years ago I was a size 24, and I can't say I've ever had anyone complaining. And my husband is XXL. Easily.

Believe it or not, people reading your posts have by now got the message that you don't like overweight or obese people. And that's perfectly ok.

Just stop pretending nobody else does, either. Are you really that insecure about your own likes and dislikes that you have to pretend the rest of the world feels exactly the same?

Sugar?

http://gifeye.com/21535

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Give peas a chance.

Some people do too much and are overweight.
    Other people not enough and are skinny.

I blame peas, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I know they're essentially well-meaning but terms like Larger Lady do my head in.

Lol, I know, I know! I couldn't help myself!

We have high horses for everyone around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Sugar? Are you trying to fulfil a stereotype?!

Not all the time! Same as people who are underweight! Sometimes there's contributing factors beyond a persons control without complex medical assistance!

So you can become obese without stuffing your face with junk?

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's not nonsense. It was in a mall in Buffalo, New York just this October gone. Tried a few T Shirts, were red label I think for some sale thing?

I'm 5 foot 10 and roughly 14 stone and I don't take steroids. Me an my mate actually just burst out laughing at how small all the t shirts were. As I said though, bought a pair of shorts that fitted fine. Think my mate bought a hoodie that was xl and wasn't too tight but we went next door into American Eagle and also into Aeropostale and both had normal size t shirts.

I'm about the same height as you and up until about a year ago I was 15 stone (I was overweight rather than being heavy from muscle) and could easily fit into the xl, I'm a few stone down on that now and wear a mix between l and xl depending on the particular range as the size varies a bit so it may have just been just the ones you were trying on were particularly small fitting for what ever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

We have high horses for everyone around here

lots of riding

anncoates wrote: »
    I know they're essentially well-meaning but terms like Larger Lady do my head in.

Yes, I'm not a big fan either.
    But there seem to be very few expressions that are not either insulting or ridiculously pc to describe us fatties.

"Bubbly" was the most ridiculous one I've heard so far.

discus wrote: »
    Sugar? Are you trying to fulfil a stereotype?!

I thought it might help him a little in getting to grasps with the concept. ;)

So you can get obese without stuffing your face with junk?

Sadly yes.
    Since I got MS last year I am less active and I've also been in hospital 3 times for large doses of IV steroids. I wasn't slim but I wasn't huge either. I've gone up at least a dress size and a stone and a bit in weight and that has been with watching what I eat very carefully.

You can, actually.

But I've got a feeling that's not actually what you're asking.

• Advertisement

Do some research, educate yourself about the issue that people are talking about, and you will see that there are a great number of medical factors that can lead to weight gain that go far far beyond "stuffing your face with junk"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Do some research, educate yourself about the issue that people are talking about, and you will see that there are a great number of medical factors that can lead to weight gain that go far far beyond "stuffing your face with junk"!

A very small % of obese people have these issue's, the vaste majority need to start eating a balanced diet and doing some exercise.< a fortune could be saved on obesity related illness treatments

Sadly yes.
    Since I got MS last year I am less active and I've also been in hospital 3 times for large doses of IV steroids. I wasn't slim but I wasn't huge either. I've gone up at least a dress size and a stone and a bit in weight and that has been with watching what I eat very carefully.

A lady (or girl? woman? your choice!) with MS makes a conscious effort to watch what she eats.

Then on the other hand, there are people who don't have illnesses and hospital visits to deal with, and they balloon up through sheer laziness and no self respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Wibbs wrote: »
    From my experience of the place I'd agree with you. While yes you do see very overweight people, it's rare enough and you'd see less of the averagely overweight knocking about. They're smaller framed people in general. I noticed it when shopping(being dragged kicking and screaming) with an ex in Madrid. Specifically the clothes sizes for women(and men). Lots of 6's 8's and 10's, fewer 12's and 14's on the rack and almost nothing above that size. Similar thing shopping with a mate in Greece. As she put it jokingly "jesus I'm beginning to think I'm a fatty" and she's not even close to that. I'd also agree on the anorexia/keep as thin as possible mindset which is a lot stronger in the culture than here. We're a lot more accepting and of a healthier mindset on that score IMH.

It's also worth mentioning that advertising of the ideal is a lot more aggressive here than home. Most women I've met talk about the obessions with the body beautiful here. I've never seen so many "clinicas aestheticas" in one space in all my life. Same goes for men here.

Although I absolutely acknowledge that obesity is an issue, nasty advertising like this is not the way to solve it and could go the other extreme like here.`

Give some solid examples of these illnesses, please.

Do some research, educate yourself about the issue that people are talking about, and you will see that there are a great number of medical factors delicious cakes that lead to weight gain !

I'm about the same height as you and up until about a year ago I was 15 stone (I was overweight rather than being heavy from muscle) and could easily fit into the xl, I'm a few stone down on that now and wear a mix between l and xl depending on the particular range as the size varies a bit so it may have just been just the ones you were trying on were particularly small fitting for what ever reason.

I'll put it this way, on the bag there was a picture of two athletic lads in a sort of homo erotic wrestling pose and I laughed because there's no way they would have fit into the t shirts. I'll give it another go though as I liked the clothes themselves.

Maybe it was just an odd range.

discus wrote: »
    Give some solid examples of these illnesses, please.

In the case of my mother, depression and anti-depressant medication.

Just as one "solid example".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Well if this goes some way in stopping people from thinking obesity is becoming a normal part of life and stops some of them from defending their idiotic notion that they should defend their right to be obese then it's a good thing.

Being overweight or obese is slowly being normalised more and more these days which is shocking.

I don't see the problem if a brand of clothing doesn't want to cater to your size, it's their choice and if you don't like it there's plenty more brands to choose from.
    And if you're so dead-set on wearing the brand you could, you know, lose weight maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

They make the worst looking clothes ive ever seen and everybody and their brother is walking around in it, so i wouldn't be bothered wearing any of their ****

• Advertisement
Advertisement