Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

So....your friend is really fat and she wants to buy A+F clothing?
    Tell her to lose some fukcing weight!

The world doesn't revolve around her.....unless of course she has her own gravitational field....

Edit:
    I know you didn't actually say that, but I'm sure it's an accurate assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Isn't size 14 pretty big?

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

My comments certainly were not gender specific.

Thing is, most fat people are not fat because of a disability. It's not on a par with race, gender, religious or age discrimination. It's fat due to laziness and greed. confused.png

Eh, Masochistic is getting pleasure from pain. So, by buying those horrible clothes, you're gaining pleasure from the pain of buying horrible clothes.

Yeah, that joke was a bit bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Leftist wrote: »

I, for one, will now make an effort to shop at A&F. Fat should not be encouraged.

But discrimination should?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

What discrimination???

Because he doesn't want to make clothing for fat people?

Should I go to the Mr. Big n' Tall shop in Goatstown and give out because they don't cater to thin short people???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When it's a life choice and the results are this damaging to society then maybe...

http://www.safefood.eu/News/2012/New-study-reveals-the-annual-cost-of-overweight-an.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Cliona99 wrote: »
    This thread has actually been quite thought-provoking. (not what I'd expect from AH to be honest)

If I could have any body in the world it'd be Robyn Lawley's. Worth a google. She's a size 16, so now I'm wondering if it's because I've been conditioned to find fat people normal, not to mention sexy.

Didn't know who she was before searching. Damn... I think if someones bone structure is good and they are attractive than whether they in shape or not doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't think it's discrimination. He is catering to certain market and aesthetic. No one is saying that Evans and other stores that sell plus size clothing are discriminating against slimmer people. Or high end designers are discriminating against poor people? Why is this different?

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    by buying those horrible clothes

Horrible clothes :rolleyes:

You simply wont find nicer polos or causal shirts for any amount of money than A&F (with Hollister being a close 2nd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

What discrimination???

Because he doesn't want to make clothing for fat people?

Should I go to the Mr. Big n' Tall shop in Goatstown and give out because they don't cater to thin short people???
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I don't think it's discrimination. He is catering to certain market and aesthetic. No one is saying that Evans and other stores that sell plus size clothing are discriminating against slimmer people. Or high end designers are discriminating against poor people? Why is this different?

No, I was responding specifically to the poster who stated that he would make an effort to shop there because "fat should not be encouraged", which indicates that he normally wouldn't shop there, but would start doing so because of this particular policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Horrible clothes :rolleyes:

You simply wont find nicer polos or causal shirts for any amount of money than A&F (with Hollister being a close 2nd).

I wouldn't know, to be honest.
    I wouldn't want to be caught dead wearing either a polo or a casual shirt.

Shenshen wrote: »
    The do nice yoga pants...

I was referring to mens clothes as I was replying to a general statement about the brand as opposed to one specific about the women's range.

That said I see it as quite normal for women to wear polo shirts which are not too different from mens for causal wear, shirts obviously would be quite different though.

smash wrote: »
    The do nice yoga pants...

I'm sure they do, but as we all could read on here, not in my size.
    And most certainly not for what I would consider a sensible price for a bit of fabric ;)

I was referring to mens clothes as I was replying to a general statement about the brand as opposed to one specific about the women's range.

That said I see it as quite normal for women to wear polo shirts which are not too different from mens for causal wear, shirts obviously would be quite different though.

I never said it wasn't normal, I'm sure it must be as a lot of people are spending a lot of money on it, it's just that I would never consider buying either product.

I've seen some of their clothes, I used to have a colleague who really liked the brand, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't ever want to wear any of it, even if they sold it in my size and at Penny's prices. I dislike the style, I find the colours and patterns plain and boring, I find the clothes unflattering to say the least (that colleague had a great figure, but you'd never know it with those clothes), and I find the styles boringly mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I don't know if this has been posted already, but I'm not trawling through seven pages to check.

He made this statement quite a while ago, and what everyone seems to have missed is that he never actually mentions that he is excluding women, in particular, in that link.

The article was written to make you think that women are getting the short end of the stick, when really it is all fat people who are bearing the brunt of this attitude. Just because they're making larger sizes for men because they want muscle-men to wear their clothes, does not mean that women are the primary target of this attitude.

Misogyny is always going to be a hot topic, which was always going to generate more views for that article, hence why the writer made it look like the CEO hates fat women. He does, but he also hates fat men.

So let's not allow the media to twist this one to get more attention, okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think the issue here is with a particular store choosing not to stock larger sizes though. That's not why it pissed people off. It pissed people off because the guy said that in his opinion, overweight girls can never be cool or popular, and that's bullsh!t.
    As I said overleaf, unlike lads who are sold the idea of being fit / muscular / whatever purely in the context of sex appeal, girls are bombarded with this moronic fallacy that you have to be skinny to not only be attractive (which isn't even true to begin with) but also just to be cool, part of the "in" crowd, succeed at life, or whatever. You see that absolutely all the time, and it's complete BS. In my view lads are lucky in that sense. Ads and media target guys for increasing sex appeal in terms of exploiting insecurities but that's it. No one implies that a lad needs to look a certain way just to succeed socially. And let's fact it, being told you're a social failure is always going to hurt a lot more than being told you're a sexual failure.

That's just my opinion, it's something I've noticed from the media. Maybe I'm wrong about it? Do people agree that while lads insecurities are played by the media purely in terms of being attractive, girls are targeted in a much bigger "you can't be cool or popular without X" context? I just feel that's a far nastier mode of exploitation. I know I could handle being told I was unattractive sexually a lot better than being told I was a loser socially, and that's what this moron did with his 'in crowd' comment. That's why it's pissing people off, and rightly so.

I never said it wasn't normal, I'm sure it must be as a lot of people are spending a lot of money on it, it's just that I would never consider buying either product.

I've seen some of their clothes, I used to have a colleague who really liked the brand, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't ever want to wear any of it, even if they sold it in my size and at Penny's prices. I dislike the style, I find the colours and patterns plain and boring, I find the clothes unflattering to say the least (that colleague had a great figure, but you'd never know it with those clothes), and I find the styles boringly mainstream.

I wouldn't count A&F expensive myself (especially when bought in the US) but that's a different matter. I actually think they are great value and fill my bags when in the US or have someone I know going over. Hollister is even better value and have plenty of very nice stuff too.

I won't comment on the women's range as I don't know much about it apart from stuff my sisters etc wear and it always looks like nice stuff but in the male range I can't consistently find a fit, colours, designs etc as nice in other brands (apart from Hollister) which I buy. Yes there is nice stuff in RL, Hilfiger (and you will pay more) but you have to pick out the nice stuff, on the other hand when I walk into an A&F shop I am left trying to decide what to leave behind as I like almost everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate branded clothes. I do buy branded t-shirts but only because it's almost impossible to find a plain one in any of the shops around here. I fail to see how sticking a rubber print logo on a t-shirt improves it. All it does is make the t-shirt look older more quickly when the logo starts to peel off.

I couldn't care less who else wears the t-shirts that I wear or what sizes they're available in as long as I can get one that fits me. Anyone that thinks they're somehow unique because their clothes aren't available in larger sizes is a pathetic individual.

• Advertisement

I won't comment on the women's range as I don't know much about it apart from stuff my sisters etc wear and it always looks like nice stuff but in the male range I can't consistently find a fit, colours, designs etc as nice in any other brands which I buy (RL, Hilfiger etc)

Hilfiger make sh!te clothes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Meh, I've never seen the appeal in A & F clothes. So some ugly guy doesn't want chubby people wearing his brand so what, they are nothing special and neither is he judging by that photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Just buy your clothes in a second hand shop. Atleast the money goes to a good cause and no one cares what you look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I couldn't care less who else wears the t-shirts that I wear or what sizes they're available in as long as I can get one that fits me. Anyone that thinks they're somehow unique because their clothes aren't available in larger sizes is a pathetic individual.

Right, I see a guy with an athletic build wearing a particular shirt, I think it goods good and I buy it.

I see another guy, he's a lard ass and he's wearing a particular shirt, I think it looks awful and don't consider buying it.

I'm assuming the same thought process appears in the minds of a lot of women, and so, this CEO has decided that he doesn't want ugly fat munters wearing hit brand as it could decrease sales.

smash wrote: »
    Hilfiger make sh!te clothes...

I would disagree. They make plenty of nice stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

darkhorse wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    exactly!
    size fourteen is the average,it is not fat nor underweight,it isnt surprising however that the majority of people who have a distorted negative view of the size are users who have identified as male on here before,imagine if females were to comment on male average weight/sizes as if its the definition of obesity,and any males who have such average sized grotesque flab on them clearly shoudnt be catered for by the clothing industry because that woud be encouraging them to keep gorging on food.
    the thing is,that woudnt happen,females are pressured into self loathing so much over their weight and think they have to look a specific way that very few even have the time to focus their negativity on the wobbly bits of a man.

this topic woud have had a much more unbiased and balanced view had it been on the ladies lounge.

• Advertisement

I would disagree. They make plenty of nice stuff.
    Na. I don't mind the odd polo but in general I don't like to dress as a douchebag.
    Scruffles wrote: »
    exactly!
    size fourteen is the average,it is not fat nor underweight

You know that average doesn't mean good or healthy. Especially since obesity is flying up at an alarming rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

discus wrote: »
    Right, I see a guy with an athletic build wearing a particular shirt, I think it goods good and I buy it.

I see another guy, he's a lard ass and he's wearing a particular shirt, I think it looks awful and don't consider buying it.

I'm assuming the same thought process appears in the minds of a lot of women, and so, this CEO has decided that he doesn't want ugly fat munters wearing hit brand as it could decrease sales.
    Eh no, most people aren't shallow or insecure enough to choose their clothes based on how those clothes look on other people, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Drkitkat

The CEO is a knob and a minger who is trying to be cool and hip it's sadder than sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I never actually knew what A&F clothes looked like, just that there was a shop on College Green that a lot of teenies seemed to be wetting themselves over when it opened.

So, I've gone and looked. How come, given their stuff is so cheap looking, it's so incredibly expensive?! The do this type of junk in H&M for a third of the price. Also, on principle, I would have to dislike them simply because they do a range of 'festival favourites'. So you can look just like every other eejit who thinks they're at Glastonbury while standing in a wet field in Rathfarnham presumably.

As for larger ladies wearing it, I doubt they would want to even if it came in their sizes. A lot of stuff flatters a larger female figure, but tiny, flimsy, badly cut stuff does not.

I wouldn't count A&F expensive myself (especially when bought in the US) but that's a different matter. I actually think they are great value and fill my bags when in the US or have someone I know going over. Hollister is even better value and have plenty of very nice stuff too.

I won't comment on the women's range as I don't know much about it apart from stuff my sisters etc wear and it always looks like nice stuff but in the male range I can't consistently find a fit, colours, designs etc as nice in other brands (apart from Hollister) which I buy. Yes there is nice stuff in RL, Hilfiger (and you will pay more) but you have to pick out the nice stuff, on the other hand when I walk into an A&F shop I am left trying to decide what to leave behind as I like almost everything.

You can't argue taste, be it taste in clothes or taste in body shapes.

Personally, I have never seen any clothes from any of the brands you mentioned that I thought looked attractive or even just nice.

To my eye, they are just shapeless, boring and bland. They're the style of clothes I would only ever wear around the house when gardening or cleaning, I wouldn't wear them in public.

But horses for courses. You like them, good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

exactly!
    size fourteen is the average,it is not fat nor underweight,it isnt surprising however that the majority of people who have a distorted negative view of the size are users who have identified as male on here before,imagine if females were to comment on male average weight/sizes as if its the definition of obesity,and any males who have such average sized grotesque flab on them clearly shoudnt be catered for by the clothing industry because that woud be encouraging them to keep gorging on food.
    the thing is,that woudnt happen,females are pressured into self loathing so much over their weight and think they have to look a specific way that very few even have the time to focus their negativity on the wobbly bits of a man.

this topic woud have had a much more unbiased and balanced view had it been on the ladies lounge.

In my experience its impossible to tell a girls weight by her clothes size.
    My own girlfriend can be a size 6 in one place and a 12 in another, and she is actually tiny.
    So I am in agreement, its completely stupid to assume that a girl who wears size 14 is a fat ass.
    I've also met many women who are very fit and active but who are still on the large side. So **** it size doesn't matter as long as your healthy. Thus restricting clothing sizes is going probably very unlikely to encourage many to lose weight. If anything it'll result in a load of fat wans walking around in the nude because they cant find any clothes. And nobody wants that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Imagine the outcry if Evans announce tomorrow they don't want to see any annorexic stick people in their shop... it would be quite similar, and rightly so.
    No shop has to cater to people they don't want to cater for, but it's another thing altogether to publicly insult them.

But he didn't. It is third hand information. A guy in a book quoted somebody who worked in A&F stating that the owner said he didn't want fat people. Nobody came out and publicly insulted anybody. In fact the writer of the article quoted a book which quoted a person interviewed who worked in A&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

discus wrote: »

The only solution is that the obese must go naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

exactly!

Average does not mean healthy in a country where obesity is rife and many people are overweight, I think 60 % of people are either obese or overweight here.

LOL is all I have to say about that

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

LOL is all I have to say about that

In all honesty, I cannot remember a bunch of women ever hearing about a size XXL guy going "Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww, but he's fat! How disgusting! Quick, someone tell him how unhealthy he is! Ew, why would they allow him to shop in the place I want to shop in?!" or voicing any of the other gems so liberally handed out in this thread about fat women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

In all honesty, I cannot remember a bunch of women ever hearing about a size XXL guy going "Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww, but he's fat! How disgusting! Quick, someone tell him how unhealthy he is! Ew, why would they allow him to shop in the place I want to shop in?!" or voicing any of the other gems so liberally handed out in this thread about fat women.

It just so happens the op made a thread about fat women, it's hardly surprising the topic revolves around fat women, is it???

I'm getting tired of the "Us women are being persecuted everywhere" mentality on boards.ie

It just so happens the op made a thread about fat women, it's hardly surprising the topic revolves around fat women, is it???

It's not the topic that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

In all honesty, I cannot remember a bunch of women ever ....
    ....so men and women are different, is it? :confused: Hardly a breakthrough in thinking there.

Zulu wrote: »
    ....so men and women are different, is it? :confused: Hardly a breakthrough in thinking there.

Nope, the only new thing is that it's commonly assumed women would be the more bitchy gender.

You learn something new every day, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Hi,

One of my friends alerted me to this and I think we should boycot all A&F stores in Eire.

What kind of message does it send to kids when they think you have to be skinny to be 'cool'?

What do you think?

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

The story doesn't really bother me too much, their company, their rules.

I'd be encouraged to boycott their stores because of the stupid dance music they blast all day long, their idiotic staff saying 'hey how are you guys doin' every 15 seconds and the smell of that cologne they sell which appears like they have a member of staff who does laps of the store spraying it everywhere.
    Morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I prejudge every guy I see wearing A&F and Holister, the reason being, every one I have ever seen seems to fit a stereotype. Arrogant and a twat. Women I see in it, I think arrogant and where are the obligatory Ugg-LY boots, oh, there they are! But I think that about all major labels as they never just have a tiny symbol in a corner, oh no, it has to be huge writing across the front or back of the clothing for everyone to see. Or huge symbols on the side like the RL polo.

As for the fat thing. It is cruel of him to say, but it is his company, let him lose business or only attract the type he wants, that is his choice. I personally hate the brand and having been in the Holister shop in Dundrum once I can honestly say, I couldn't care less about him and his ridiculously overpriced and overrated gear. The only reason people pay for that crap is it is so dark they can't see the prices IMO until they get to the till! Huge price hike from America where it is seen as a highschool and college brand at $25 for a hoodie.

Most people who suffer obesity do so at their own hand, there are many with medical reasons yes, and many people are what appear overweight but are very healthy, but if you stuff your face with a 16 inch pizza and 2 litres of Diet Coke like my sister, well then you are just a fat fúck of your own doing! I hate when I hear that BS when you know otherwise. Meds and certain illnesses cause weight issues, but Christ, too many Subs or MaccyD's are more likely to do so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I prejudge every guy I see wearing A&F and Holister, the reason being, every one I have ever seen seems to fit a stereotype. Arrogant and a twat. Women I see in it, I think arrogant and where are the obligatory Ugg-LY boots, oh, there they are! But I think that about all major labels as they never just have a tiny symbol in a corner, oh no, it has to be huge writing across the front or back of the clothing for everyone to see. Or huge symbols on the side like the RL polo.

As for the fat thing. It is cruel of him to say, but it is his company, let him lose business or only attract the type he wants, that is his choice. I personally hate the brand and having been in the Holister shop in Dundrum once I can honestly say, I couldn't care less about him and his ridiculously overpriced and overrated gear. The only reason people pay for that crap is it is so dark they can't see the prices IMO until they get to the till! Huge price hike from America where it is seen as a highschool and college brand at $25 for a hoodie.

Most people who suffer obesity do so at their own hand, there are many with medical reasons yes, and many people are what appear overweight but are very healthy, but if you stuff your face with a 16 inch pizza and 2 litres of Diet Coke like my sister, well then you are just a fat fúck of your own doing! I hate when I hear that BS when you know otherwise. Meds and certain illnesses cause weight issues, but Christ, too many Subs or MaccyD's are more likely to do so!

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You learn something new every day, I guess.
    If that's all you've learned, you'd better get cracking or you'll be wasting a day.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :pac:

I never do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

wolfpawnat wrote: »

This is bs. I know plenty of lads who wear the stuff, and why do they wear it?
    It's very very good quality, t-shirts and hoodies i have last years. Obviously its way more expensive than penneys, dunnes but you get what you pay for. And it's for people who aren't into high fashion because its just easy to wear!

People are suggesting that D4 twats are the only people wearing it but I'd say most lads in the GAA clubs have a few hollister or A&F hoodies and t-shirts. The clothes are practical.

By the way, I'm a tall woman with an athletic figure and and i'd easily wear their size mediums. I get that the CEO is a dick but people justifying a size 14 as being healthy are absolutely deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

exactly!
    size fourteen is the average,it is not fat nor underweight.

Average doesn't make it healthy.

Unless someone is quite tall then a size 14 is most likely at least slightly overweight. The average height for females in this country is 5ft 4. So if someone is the average height and size then they are almost certainly overweight IMO

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    This is bs. I know plenty of lads who wear the stuff, and why do they wear it?
    It's very very good quality, t-shirts and hoodies i have last years. Obviously its way more expensive than penneys, dunnes but you get what you pay for. And it's for people who aren't into high fashion because its just easy to wear!

People are suggesting that D4 twats are the only people wearing it but I'd say most lads in the GAA clubs have a few hollister or A&F hoodies and t-shirts. The clothes are practical.

By the way, I'm a tall woman with an athletic figure and and i'd easily wear their size mediums. I get that the CEO is a dick but people justifying a size 14 as being healthy are absolutely deluded.

I don't know any D4 types :);) I don't associate with said people.

But when I see people in the street wearing the gear, it is skin tight t-shirts, and by skin tight I mean spray painted on and I think (and it is only a personal opinion) that that looks ridiculous. It cannot be comfy! I was given A&F gear a few years ago, discoloured and tore easily. I found it very flimsy.

14 can be healthy for some (many women have huge hips but toss all fat, me a size 14 though and I would be round. I am short and smaller built. I look chunky at size 8-10!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

kilkenny12 wrote: »

I don't pretend to understand sizes but surely a larger framed woman could be perfectly slim and healthy at 14?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'll cause a bit of controversy here and say that instead of resenting images of bodybuilder lads as the kind of lads girls go nuts for, I just take inspiration from it and aim to get there myself through my own bodybuilding regime.

Now of course, the two obviously aren't comparable because there aren't any real health problems associated with getting too muscular, but there obviously are health problems associated with getting too skinny. So it's not really a problem for me that I see girls cooing over pics of lads with six packs and biceps since that's an attainable goal for any guy with a bit of resolve and enough spare time to lift, and there are comparably minuscule negative effects of aiming for that goal, with the possible exception of overtraining or pulling muscles from trying to lift too heavy, which I'll admit has happened to me occasionally but I've since learned my lesson big time, the pain of doing your back in from benching too heavy is a far more acute and immediate kick up the ass than the effects of malnourishment which take a while to kick you :D

Point is, I honestly don't think lads have quite as much to object to, since the mainstream's idea of an "ideal" muscularity for lads generally isn't all that ridiculous and crucially, trying to achieve it won't bring on health risks like trying to become a stick insect will. The other aspect is that lads are only sold the idea of being ripped in the context of being attractive to girls - whereas, as this A&F thins illustrates, girls are sold the idea of being skinny as being all important in every social context. Lads aren't told "if you're not ripped, you have no hope in life", just "if you get ripped you'll have an easier time with the ladies". So I don't think one can really say they're the same thing. The really moronic thing about all this is that anecdotally from Facebook and elsewhere, the majority of girls do indeed seem to actually go in for lads who are fairly ripped or at the very least defined, while it's becoming obvious that most lads don't actually go in for the uber skinny at all. I for one don't find it the least bit attractive, nothing is a bigger turnoff than a xylophone! So I do find it bizarre that the media's image of an attractive guy seems to generally match reality in terms of what girls find hot, but the media's image of an attractive girl is way, way off. I can't think of a single guy I know who finds that whole skin and bones look appealing. So where the hell does the media get its standards from?

You raised some interesting points. Thanks! The last bit I can't comment on only to say that I don't know many woman who goes for the hairless, super ripped look as to me, it's more targeted towards the gay market. Fit with some muscle definition, yes but super ripped....I really don't think so. The skin and bone look (and not just healthily slim) isn't really shoved down our throats in advertising and you don't see that beyond high fashion. I don't think many women want to look that thin but slim, yes and men find slim women attractive. I think those who end up skin and bone have lost sight of reality and perhaps believe they're bigger than they really are. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would get down to that weight and believe they look hot. I think that's eating disorder territory and a whole load mental issues come with that. Few women that thin like themselves very much. Not many women would emanate that tbh although we're led to believe otherwise.

That's just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Had anyone seen a pic of the CEO? There was a thread on Reddit about it. The best description there was that he looked like he had been dunking for apples in a bowl full of bees.

People in glass houses and all that.....

Advertisement