Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

I think those who end up skin and bone have lost sight of reality and perhaps believe they're bigger than they really are. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would get down to that weight and believe they look hot. I think that's eating disorder territory and a whole load mental issues come with that.

Fair point but substitute that to say those who end up obese have lost sight of reality and truly believe it's acceptable.

I also cannot believe how anyone in their right mind could be happy at size 16/18/20 etc.

Obesity is just the opposite end of this scale, yet when discussing an issue such as the one that began this thread people feel they have to be politically correct and not insult obese people. Calling someone a 'skinny b*tch' is completely acceptable though. :confused:

It clearly works both ways, but for some reason obese people can rarely accept these issues.

(Disclaimer: this is with the exception of people who genuinely have weight problems due to illness.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    I get that the CEO is a dick but people justifying a size 14 as being healthy are absolutely deluded.

How do you figure that? Are you seriously saying every size 14 woman is unhealthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I also cannot believe how anyone in their right mind could be happy at size 16/18/20 etc.

I'm pretty confident and happy when I'm a size 16/18. Doesn't bother me a bit. Just so you know.

(I'm taller than average also but I don't know if that makes any difference - I don't think I'd ever be a size 10, even if I were to starve myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Fair point but substitute that to say those who end up obese have lost sight of reality and truly believe it's acceptable.

Obesity is just the opposite end of this scale, yet when discussing an issue such as the one that began this thread people feel they have to be politically correct and not insult obese people. Calling someone a 'skinny b*tch' is completely acceptable though. :confused:

It clearly works both ways, but for some reason obese people can rarely accept these issues.

(Disclaimer: this is with the exception of people who genuinely have weight problems due to illness.)

I'm having a mini conversation about another issue with the poster I quoted, so the point you raise is separate from what we're talking about. :)

Btw, fat people get a LOT more abuse than extremely skinny people. It's not comparable. Can you imagine him saying the same thing only replacing "fat people" for "anorexics"? It simply wouldn't happen. When people use the term "skinny bitch", they don't apply it to anorexics (and as you said, they're at the other end of the spectrum), they apply it to slim people but people have no problem insulting morbidly obese people. I've yet to see one thread in AH making fun of them.You can't compare the treatment of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Personally I think anyone who would be over the size they cater should be more worried about their health than what this guy has to say, obesity is Irelands biggest killer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Btw, fat people get a LOT more abuse than extremely skinny people. It's not comparable. Can you imagine him saying the same thing only replacing "fat people" for "anorexics"? It simply wouldn't happen.

I wouldn't agree. The only difference is that fat people are seen as abused whereas people seem to think that it's a compliment for skinny people. The abuse happens both ways and id insulting both ways whether people realise it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

ash23 wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident and happy when I'm a size 16/18. Doesn't bother me a bit. Just so you know.

(I'm taller than average also but I don't know if that makes any difference - I don't think I'd ever be a size 10, even if I were to starve myself)

You may be happy, but your not healthy. If you remember a certain campaign the HSE ran to curb the obesity epidemic in this country, you'll find that being over a 32 inch waist (which size 16 is) for women is not in the healthy catergory. I'd also wager that your BMI is outside the recommended range aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I wouldn't agree. The only difference is that fat people are seen as abused whereas people seem to think that it's a compliment for skinny people. The abuse happens both ways and id insulting both ways whether people realise it or not.

I'm talking about abusing anorexics though. A slim person is not the other end of the spectrum of an obese person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Montroseee wrote: »
    You may be happy, but your not healthy. If you remember a certain campaign the HSE ran to curb the obesity epidemic in this country, you'll find that being over a 32 inch waist (which size 16 is) for women is not in the healthy catergory. I'd also wager that your BMI is outside the recommended range aswell.

Truthfully I don't really care. I'm not healthy anyway and it's nothing to do with weight.
    The response was to someone asking how anyone in their right mind can be happy as a larger size. My point was I'm quite happy. I never said I was healthy.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about abusing anorexics though. A slim person is not the other end of the spectrum of an obese person.

I don't see how that makes insulting them any better? And you do see people make the same comments to anorexics.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Firstly, people who judge others and jump on the bandwagon of saying 'oh he/she is wearing A&F/Hollister, they're surely arrogant and self-righteous' should take a step back and stop generalising personalities based on a logo...sweeping statements like that in my opinion are just reflecting resentment. Also, I have bought some things from those stores before and they are from from 'crap quality', they last for years and I would not consider myself to be arrogant, nor are my friends who also wear the brands.

Ok, so the CEO made claims about who he wants to wear his clothes while fueling the never-ending war on body sizes/shapes and yes its made people retaliate. But aside, I feel very strongly about women of a heavier weight making judgements about slimmer girls ... I am a healthy size 10/8 in some shops, exercise regularly and eat plenty of food and don't gain weight but yet 'curvy' women feel its ok to say about skinny girls 'they have an eating disorder, feed her more spuds and so on' yet if someone said 'she's way too big, she needs to watch her food intake, she's a danger to her own health etc' they'd be shot down. Society has made it acceptable to speak lowly of girls who are on the slim side but through no fault of their own may have faster metabolism and so no matter how much they eat cannot put on weight, but say something nasty about someone who is carrying too much weight, and god forbid refer to them as something other than 'curvy' (which I think is just a title for overweight people developed by contemporary society) then you'll be outcast and gasped at!

Sorry a bit of a rant here but just tired of looking at some responses which come up time and time again and are unfair to slimmer girls who 'aren't real women' and we are made feel bad about our image which we can't change!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    But when I see people in the street wearing the gear, it is skin tight t-shirts, and by skin tight I mean spray painted on and I think (and it is only a personal opinion) that that looks ridiculous. It cannot be comfy! I was given A&F gear a few years ago, discoloured and tore easily. I found it very flimsy.

The clothes should be fitted, nothing looks worse than people wearing close too big for them. Men wearing t-shirts that look like dresses on them.

I find the quality fantastic, I wear A&F and hollister stuff almost every day be it at work or going out at night, this means stuff gets washed regularly and in my experience retains both colour and shape extremely well. I'm still wearing 3 year old polo's for good wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

How do you figure that? Are you seriously saying every size 14 woman is unhealthy?

Yes.. not that i have a major problem with people who are.
    But i'm going to take an educated guess and say that about 90% of people in todays world overeat, skinny people included. We were not built to have food available to us 24 hours a day. On top of that, most of this food is laden with sugar. And how many people eat leafy greens on a daily basis anymore?
    In the distant past, most diseases were nicknamed "rich man's sickness" becasuse only rich people could afford to feed themselves the way we do today.
    Coincidently, sickness and disease is now rampant throughout the first world. Why? Too much food.

Sorry to derail the thread. I'm just sick of overweight people thinking they can tell a skinny person to "eat a few burgers" or whatever when they carry on being completely ignorant to how much we are damaging ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

This is your man - http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mike-Jeffries-AF.jpg

Look at the head on him. He's like a deformed Gary Busey

Could he use anymore bleach on his teeth !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

This thread has made me feel like a fat mess. I'm off home to eat an entire tub of Ben & Jerry's.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

jubella wrote: »
    This thread has made me feel like a fat mess. I'm off home to eat an entire tub of Ben & Jerry's.

:P

It's made me feel quite thin, doesn't happen often. I used to be huge and wouldn't have fit in anything in there, its nice to know I could wear a t shirt from there... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Head like a melted handbag

http://thefrogman.me/post/50017390803

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    This is bs. I know plenty of lads who wear the stuff, and why do they wear it?
    It's very very good quality, t-shirts and hoodies i have last years. Obviously its way more expensive than penneys, dunnes but you get what you pay for. And it's for people who aren't into high fashion because its just easy to wear!

Yes, you do, and in the case of most high street fashion you are paying for marketing and shops in high rent areas. Let's face it, all these clothes get made by cheap labour in poor countries. The unbranded stuff made in the same places can be just as good and doesn't come with the considerable overhead that comes with the brand, or 'fashion tax'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Head like a melted handbag

http://thefrogman.me/post/50017390803

I'd say the doctor slapped his mother when he was born .

I don't see how that makes insulting them any better? And you do see people make the same comments to anorexics.

It doesn't make it any better? When did I say that? :confused: I said it wasn't as frequent. :confused:

Comments are made...although I can't think of one incident in my lifetime...I've heard pitying comments alright but never heard piss taking and laughing. I can find thousands of examples of people ridiculing fat people but tenner bets I'd be pushed to find the same regarding anorexics.

My point is, it's disingenuous to say that anorexics get as much stick as obese people when you know that's not true.

Btw, my sister was anorexic to the point where she was literally skin and bone and had to be hospitalised. No one ever laughed at her.

The point I'm trying to make is people feel it's okay to ridicule obese people under the guys of bullying them into losing the weight (as if that was the reason....me arse). Does not happen with people with anorexics.

kowloon wrote: »
    Yes, you do, and in the case of most high street fashion you are paying for marketing and shops in high rent areas. Let's face it, all these clothes get made by cheap labour in poor countries. The unbranded stuff made in the same places can be just as good and doesn't come with the considerable overhead that comes with the brand, or 'fashion tax'.

Where do you get this "unbranded stuff" of great quality people speak of?:confused:

The most recent factory collapse in Bangladesh that killed approx 400 people housed a supplier to Penneys actually. So 'cheaper' brands with less 'fashion tax' are also made with cheap labour in poor countries.

I also defy you to find a jumper from Penneys, washed once a month for years, that keeps its quality.
    However, I still wear Abercrombie hoodies I bought circa 2005.

The quality of Abercrombie clothes is unbeatable, as far as I've found.

It doesn't make it any better? When did I say that? :confused: I said it wasn't as frequent. :confused:

Comments are made...although I can't think of one incident in my lifetime...I've heard pitying comments alright but never heard piss taking and laughing. I can find thousands of examples of people ridiculing fat people but tenner bets I'd be pushed to find the same regarding anorexics.

My point is, it's disingenuous to say that anorexics get as much stick as obese people when you know that's not true.

But my point is that they do. The same type of comments are made, just, for some strange reason, interpreted differently. I have seen people riduculed for being too thin many a time. Often by bigger girls who would cause major drama if the situation was the other way round.

But my point is that they do. The same type of comments are made, just, for some strange reason, interpreted differently. I have seen people riduculed for being too thin many a time. Often by bigger girls who would cause major drama if the situation was the other way round.

To the same extent as obese people? No you don't. You simply don't. Sorry!

You see anorexics getting made fun of? I don't believe you. I'm not taking slim, I'm talking about people suffering from anorexia nervosa where they are skin and bone.

I call bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Glowla wrote: »

Sorry a bit of a rant here but just tired of looking at some responses which come up time and time again and are unfair to slimmer girls who 'aren't real women' and we are made feel bad about our image which we can't change!

Here, listen to Chris Rock explain this phenomenom (NSFW)

Agreed.
    Most people would never call a overweight person "fatty" or whatever. But if you exercise a lot and are fairly skinny, you can be damn sure to get called a "skinny bitch" or "lanky" on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

You see anorexics getting made fun of? I don't believe you. I'm not taking slim, I'm talking about people suffering from anorexia nervosa where they are skin and bone.

I call bull****.

Fine, call bull**** but in my experience it's true and I am fully aware of what anorexia is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I have found that men talk about other men's weight quite often as well - it's certainly not just women. Fat men are often talked about at work.

The most recent factory collapse in Bangladesh that killed approx 400 people housed a supplier to Penneys actually. So 'cheaper' brands with less 'fashion tax' are also made with cheap labour in poor countries.

I also defy you to find a jumper from Penneys, washed once a month for years, that keeps its quality.

I have a pair of jeans from Pennys that I bought in 2007 that I still wear. They've lasted longer than a lot of the "better brands" clothes that I've had over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

It's like one of those reading comprehension quizzes:
    Fat is to skinny as morbidly obese is to anorexic.

You can't say that slim people are the opposite of the morbidly obese, or that anorexia is the opposite of being a bit overweight.

In my experience, people do make jokes/comments about fat people, just like they do about skinny people.

I can't imagine anyone joking about anorexia, but they definitely judge morbidly obese people as lazy, greedy, and ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

As I've said before, the reason it's deemed more "acceptable"* to make comments about svelte people, especially women, is because it's socially desirable to be slim, and women are judged so much by our looks. BUT slim people are categorically NOT subjected to comments more than overweight people. You would be shocked at some of things I've heard said to overweight people down the years.

* not saying that I think it's acceptable

I call bull****.

Actually, I suffered from Anorexia Nervosa for a long time - when I was 17 I weighed about 7 stone 11 pounds, and I'm 5 foot 6.

I was in school at the time and people, both friends and random classmates, regularly called me a skinny b*tch and made comments regarding my weight such as 'you're far too skinny', 'go eat a McDonalds', 'oh my God you're way too tiny' etc.

It made me feel like sh*t to be honest, but when I said this I was viewed as showing off or pushing my 'luck' in heavier people's faces.

If this was reversed and friends had said 'you're too fat', 'you need to lose weight', 'stop eating so many burgers' there would have been outrage!

It political correctness gone mad, there are always two sides to every story.

I think you (Legs Eleven) are finding it difficult to see this issue objectively - I've been in recovery for nearly three years and am now around 10 stone 8 pounds, to this day when people comment on my weight it annoys me.

Being healthy, both physically and mentally, is the most important thing.

• Advertisement

I have a pair of jeans from Pennys that I bought in 2007 that I still wear. They've lasted longer than a lot of the "better brands" clothes that I've had over the years.

Incidentally I've never bought jeans from Penneys, I might now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That was pretty much my point: they're made in the same places using the same methods. The difference often lies solely in the logo. Granted, there's plenty of cheaper, nastier clothes, but there's also plenty of stuff that more than meets the standard. Fashion and value do not go hand in hand. You pay a premium for the extra overheads, the extra cost doesn't get dumped into superior manufacturing.
    Part of the value of the product is the logo, aspirational branding, the illusion of exclusivity. I'm not saying this is bad business practice. It's naive to believe price is proportional to quality.

Kilkenny, Google is your friend.
    Being healthy, both physically and mentally, is the most important thing.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Re the argument of skinny stigma vs fat. People are way more likely to approach a person and tell them they're too skinny rather than approach a fat person and tell them they're too fat. So there is less of a taboo (though equal health risks) to being too thin.

I was a size 18-20 and only in January started doing something about it. I always thought I was happy as I was so saw no need for change, but now I realiseI wasn't that happy. I just accepted that was the size I was and there was nothing I could do about it because I was too far gone. A change of heart and lifestyle and a few months later I'm 3 stone down and a size 14. I've still a bit to go to get to where I want, but I'm well on my way.

A few months a go I would have stormed into this thread blasting whoever discriminated against fat people and said there was nothing wrong with it. Now I see the point that its just not good health sense and some clothes just do not suit larger sizes.

If an alcoholic turned and said I drink 5 bottles of wine a day but my health is fine, no one would accept that. And you might be fine for now, but the strain on your organs and diseases you potentially face are huge.

I'm not by any means a perfect size now so I'm not being smug....just saying you don't have to be happy as you are....and you an change it.

That was pretty much my point: they're made in the same places using the same methods. The difference often lies solely in the logo. Granted, there's plenty of cheaper, nastier clothes, but there's also plenty of stuff that more than meets the standard. Fashion and value do not go hand in hand. You pay a premium for the extra overheads, the extra cost doesn't get dumped into superior manufacturing.
    Part of the value of the product is the logo, aspirational branding, the illusion of exclusivity. I'm not saying this is bad business practice. It's naive to believe price is proportional to quality.

Kilkenny, Google is your friend.

This. You can often find the exact same item of clothing being sold in different stores for totally different prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The clothes should be fitted, nothing looks worse than people wearing close too big for them. Men wearing t-shirts that look like dresses on them.

Well yes, clothes should fit well, but spray painted on looks ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Do people actually think that the quality of clothes form penneys is the same as A&F clothes or any other clothes you'd spend more money on? Seriously go get a bunch of clothes from penneys and the same amount from A&F, then wash them and wear them for a few weeks. After a couple of washes, most penneys clothes will have lost their shape and softness while the more expensive stuff will be just the same.
    Fair enough you'll get the odd decent thing in penneys and the odd crap thing in A&F but in the long run, expensive clothes are better quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

To be honest, I hate people who use Eire randomly in a sentence more than I hate the A & F Ceo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

After a couple of washes, most penneys clothes will have lost their shape and softness while the more expensive stuff will be just the same.

True. Penneys clothes do get hard, or baggy or tight etc, after two washes. While stuff I buy in a second hand store (hispter theme song) last much longer.

And on the Anorexia thing. To be perfectly honest, I've heard loads of people joking that someone was "going for a vomit in the bathroom", or barfing up what they ate, or she's all skin and bones. Or the dreaded versions of "I like women with boob", so why does she want to look like a stick? Or the "real woman have curves"*, or even insults towards the anorexics mental health, or vanity. And all the above examples are directed at a female person, but could be directed at a male person.

And males would be insinuated that they are gay (IMO), but it may be harder to tell if a male is anorexic.

*Thank **** there's a backlash against that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

No one seems to care about the double standard for skinny men.
    I'm about 5'11 and weigh 64kg. My BMI is just barely in the healthy range. I don't have any underlying health problems that make me this thin, its just the way I am, genetics maybe since both my mother and father are slim, my dad didn't get any kind of middle age belly until he was about 50 and that was due to a thyroid problem.

I eat well, I actually go out of my way to eat as much as possible. I used to do alot of weight training and that made only a slight difference. I've been to a dietitian followed all the advice I was given and still never topped 64kg.

I am constantly hearing "Eat a few cheese burgers" etc etc. And its usually just banter from friends and work mates, they mean no harm but it hurts to constantly have my weight pointed out to me.
    I don't like being this thin, I don't think its at all attractive even though I have good muscle definition.
    What kind of a woman would want to go out with a man the same weight or lighter than herself?
    I'm convinced the only reason my current girlfriend found me attractive was because she's only 4'10" and 45kg. I look like a tank standing next to her :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Everyone should have an Abercrombie hoodie for life... As soon as it's stops fitting, you know you're getting fat! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

smash wrote: »
    Everyone should have an Abercrombie hoodie for life... As soon as it's stops fitting, you know you're getting fat! :pac:

How stretchy are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Big Bottom wrote: »
    'Acceptable'? I'm size 14 and I accept myself for who I am rather than comparing myself to twig creatures.

so would you not prefer to be a size 12 ?

i think i know the answer to that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Is Wikipedia lying to me or is this man realy 68 years old? Looks like a 40 year old with a botched facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

A lot of green eyed posters in here. Although, I can see why, ventured into the Hollister store in Dundrum for the first time today and my God the girls in there are stunning :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Montroseee wrote: »
    A lot of green eyed posters in here. Although, I can see why, ventured into the Hollister store in Dundrum for the first time today and my God the girls in there are stunning :o

I think the women and men they hire have to be aesthetically attractive. I remember the day I went in, my partner was nearly drooling at them, took a look and honestly couldn't blame him!

• Advertisement
Advertisement