Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgusting attitude to larger ladies from A&F Ceo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Yes they can decide who their target market is but does he have to be such a complete wanker about it? Other shops just get on with it without feeling the need to insult. I don't think the decision to not make clothes for bigger sizes is the issue here, it's his justification of it. Just don't make the sizes and leave it at that, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Yes they can decide who their target market is but does he have to be such a complete wanker about it? Other shops just get on with it without feeling the need to insult. I don't think the decision to not make clothes for bigger sizes is the issue here, it's his justification of it. Just don't make the sizes and leave it at that, no?

Because it fits the brand he's trying to establish. You say the things your audience wants to hear- "you're part of an exclusive club for cool kids by buying our product", while getting everyone else who thinks that message is bull**** to talk about you, giving you free publicity anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Aside from fitting the brand, it's publicity. He knew there'd be uproar and as such, more people would learn about his brand. Idiots who don't like fat people will then flock to his stores, knowing that fat people can't wear them, so it's a way of proving that they're thin. Great marketing geared at vain people and impressionable young people tbh.

Because it fits the brand he's trying to establish. You say the things your audience wants to hear- "you're part of an exclusive club for cool kids by buying our product", while getting everyone else who thinks that message is bull**** to talk about you, giving you free publicity anyway.

Listen I understand marketing perfectly well and I understand his reasons. I started a degree in it and left after two years for this very reason. I think it's disgusting. I think any marketing that plays on people's insecurities is disgusting. Just because it's business doesn't make it any less deplorable. In fact it makes it more so.

Are we fecking robots or what? If people act the prick in the real world, I will complain but businesses are exempt from criticism because they're only making money? Me arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I can guarantee you that the majority of "people" (I use the word "people" lightly, as I don't know how any human being can think it's acceptable to say some of the things they do to overweight individuals) who preach to the overweight and obese are not the perfect picture of health themselves.

They make it their job to tell overweight people about how unhealthy they are and what they're doing to their bodies, and what they're costing the state, while they spend the majority of their time sitting in an office working, or sitting watching tv, or smoking, or drinking. I wonder do all of you meet the exercise and dietry guidelines every day or even most days of the week? You may be skinny but you're still probably falling down in a few areas - too much sugar, too much caffeine, too much carbs, not enough exercise etc.

And yes, I am well aware that obesity is a huge problem and costs the system a hell of a lot of money and is more important than falling down in one or two areas like drinking too much coffee or not doing muscle strengthening exercises the recommended amount.

And this is coming from a "twig creature" according to the OP (who I find has a ridicous opinion btw - I don't agree with the 'normalisation' of obesity in this country at all - size 14/16 is not normal for the majority of people)

The way to tackle obesity is education, promoting healthy eating and exercise and fun ways to be active. It's not calling people "fat lazy b1tches". The majority of you haven't the first clue. Evidence shows that the blaming culture that this thread is promoting doesn't work. Go educate yourself about the background a lot of obese people come from before you start slagging off "fat birds" cos they're an easy target. Go educate yourself on how much exercise and how much diet modification is needed to even see an improvement (cue "So what it's tough but go do it" and I agree with you - it needs to be done) But people don't realise how difficult it is until they're in that position. (Myself included - never have had to lose weight but have first hand experience of working with people who do).

I know people will get back to me saying "I run marathons, I watch my diet, it's grand" and good for you, but you're fooling yourself if you think the majority of skinny/normal weighted people are "healthy". Look at the drinking problem in this country - the amount of young people who are dying from liver failure, I think 2 people a day in this country die from alcohol abuse? Yet nobody shouts abuse at young beautiful thin people who are destroying their bodies with alcohol, but hey if they're fat, they're fair game. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

zzzzzZZZ; boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The way to tackle obesity is education, promoting healthy eating and exercise and fun ways to be active.
    • Every week there's charity events involving running or some form of activity which are advertised.
    • Everything you buy tells you the calories and fat count.
    • Generally there's a shop within 10 minutes walking distance for most people so they don't need to drive.
    • There's a government bike to work initiative scheme.

The list goes on and on. It's obvious how to be healthy and exercise but people just ignore it.

smash wrote: »
    • Every week there's charity events involving running or some form of activity which are advertised.
    • Generally there's a shop within 10 minutes walking distance for most people so they don't need to drive.

The list goes on and on. It's obvious how to be healthy and exercise but people just ignore it.

Can you show me solid evidence that bully tactics work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The bike to work scheme is bully tactics? You, my dear, are overly sensitive.

Can you show me solid evidence that bully tactics work?
    Dafuq has that got to do with what I said? I said people ignore the obvious, and I stand by that! Healthy eating and exercise is promoted. People are educated. They just don't care. Well at least they don't care until they can't buy an A&F shirt...

• Advertisement

Having worked with overweight people, I respectfully disagree. It seems obvious to you and I, but a lot of people are very poorly educated and have no idea who much exercise you should be doing a day, or what foods are healthy and unhealthy. Hell, even if you ask the general population who are not overweight or obese, you'd be surprised at the results.

A lot of obese people have problem solving issues as well - even planning meals and shopping can be difficult.

If I did a poll of boards.ie I imagine not everybody would know how much exercise they are supposed to be doing, although it's easily googled so I won't bother to attempt a poll :D

Dafuq has that got to do with what I said? I said people ignore the obvious, and I stand by that! Healthy eating and exercise is promoted. People are educated. They just don't care. Well at least they don't care until they can't buy an A&F shirt...

You overestimate the intelligence of the general population :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Listen I understand marketing perfectly well and I understand his reasons. I started a degree in it and left after two years for this very reason. I think it's disgusting. I think any marketing that plays on people's insecurities is disgusting. Just because it's business doesn't make it any less deplorable. In fact it makes it more so.

Are we fecking robots or what? If people act the prick in the real world, I will complain but businesses are exempt from criticism because they're only making money? Me arse!
    Apologies if my post came across as condesending, that wasn't my intention. Unfortunately companies have been using underhand tactics for years and will continue to do so, justifying themselves with the money they earn and jobs they create in the process. I agree with your stance companies have the free will to market how they want just as their customers have the free will to disagree with it.
    Abercrombie have lost millions through fines over the years so at least they are paying for their actions, it doesn't seem to affect them much though.

It seems obvious to you and I, but a lot of people are very poorly educated and have no idea who much exercise you should be doing a day, or what foods are healthy and unhealthy.

Look down... if you can't see your feet because of your tummy then you have a problem! If your boobs are in the way, just move them a bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Idon't get how people go on that obese people are criticised more then anorexic people

1 its not true we are very quick tell tell someone they are two thin (even when they're not) I have only heard of doctors telling people they are too fat

2 most obese people are obese through laziness anorexia is a mental illness

so in conclusion fat should not be viewed as acceptable only healthy should be view as acceptable

and stop using 6ft + size 16 women as examples most size 16 women don't look like that

its not true we are very quick tell tell someone they are two thin (even when they're not) I have only heard of doctors telling people they are too fat

They're not fat, they're "Curvy"

:rolleyes:

Look down... if you can't see your feet because of your tummy then you have a problem! If your boobs are in the way, just move them a bit :D

Again, seems obvious - they realise they are overweight but they have no idea what the consequences of it are. Trust me...it's shocking...

I wish my boobs were in the way :( Damn A cups!!! haha

Yes they can decide who their target market is but does he have to be such a complete wanker about it?

To be honest this guy seems to be a complete wanker generally.

I think his remarks were coldly calculating to reach out to the fledgeling superiority complexes of his target market, and as such should just be disregarded.

Zulu wrote: »
    The bike to work scheme is bully tactics? You, my dear, are overly sensitive.

I wasn't talking about those. Obviously his point is the methods he listed aren't working which I'm presuming means he's implying another tack is needed...like this A&F guff. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm not at all overly sensitive. I'm a healthy weight and reasonably fit so no reason to be. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They're not fat, they're "Curvy"

:rolleyes:

Curved like the Earth.

Apologies if my post came across as condesending, that wasn't my intention. Unfortunately companies have been using underhand tactics for years and will continue to do so, justifying themselves with the money they earn and jobs they create in the process. I agree with your stance companies have the free will to market how they want just as their customers have the free will to disagree with it.
    Abercrombie have lost millions through fines over the years so at least they are paying for their actions, it doesn't seem to affect them much though.

No worries. I agree with you.

Idon't get how people go on that obese people are criticised more then anorexic people

1 its not true we are very quick tell tell someone they are two thin (even when they're not) I have only heard of doctors telling people they are too fat

I've never seen threads on boards.ie about being so concerned for people who are too thin. It's always the fattys :rolleyes:

Obesity is a multifactorial problem - it's not as simple as "being lazy" - this is the problem today. People are so poorly educated about the causes and concepts surrounding obesity, it's shocking.
    so in conclusion fat should not be viewed as acceptable only healthy should be view as acceptable

and stop using 6ft + size 16 women as examples most size 16 women don't look like that

Absolutely. Being overweight should not be normalised or accepted as healthy, nor should people resort to nastiness and bullying. It doesn't work.

I agree with your last point as well, and got slated in The Ladies Lounge I think it was, for saying that in the majority of cases size 16 is not healthy, which it isn't. There are of course numerous exceptions - BMI is a better way to assess your weight.

Candie wrote: »
    To be honest this guy seems to be a complete wanker generally.

I think his remarks were coldly calculating to reach out to the fledgeling superiority complexes of his target market, and as such should just be disregarded.

Yes I understand that but his marketing tactics are only part of the bigger problem. Obviously ranting on Boards will do nothing but this playing on people's insecurities and making people feel **** about themselves (even healthy people) has to be challenged...outside of Boards.ie, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ok, just for the fun of it :

[*]Running - if you are overweight or obese - is one of the quickest ways to ruin your joints and back.
    I 100% agree with people needing to get more active, but running to fight obesity is not the best idea, sorry.

[*]Yes, there is a Centra some 10 minute walk from my house. But I do not earn anywhere near enough to shop there, I take the car to Lidl and Aldi.

[*]I live 30 km away from where I work, if I take the motorway. If I don't, it's around 50km. Last time I checked, bikes weren't allowed on motorways. And call me difficult, but a 4 hour commute isn't really something "obvious".

There are ways to get healthy and lose weight - but they need to be do-able, and the person in question needs to be able to keep them up for the rest of their lives.
    The odd jog for charity - even if it doesn't ruin your knees - is not going to make anybody lose weight long-term. And that's what you need to go for, a long-term solution.

I can stop eating for a day or 2 and will lose some weight, I have done that in the past. The problem is that the moment you start eating normal (and no, I don't mean excessive, I mean a normal 1800 cal a day) that weight will come back and bring some friends along with it. It's called the "yo-yo" effect - you lose some weight, and then gain even more.
    The one thing I realised when I started to tackle my weight is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Every person is different, some have family and some don't, some get excercise at work and some don't, some have underlying conditions and some don't. Some people do well trying to lose weight in groups, some don't. Some people enjoy the gym and some don't.
    If you do have to keep up something for the rest of your life, there's no point trying to force yourself to do something you really hate.
    I tried fitness classes - not for me. I hated absolutely everything about them.
    What worked for me (and still is working) was getting a WII fit - do things in your own time when you have the time, no pressure from others, no sweating in public, no snide remarks from other gym members, and the thing actually isn't half bad at motivating you.

As for the calories listed on ready-made food, you'd want to take your time reading the details. Some of them will tell you the calories of the entire package you're looking at, when you know you'll only be eating a fraction of it.
    Others will tell you the calories per 100g, or per 25g, or per 10g, or per some other random weight, when the package you're holding is 2kg.
    If I could give people who want to lose weight any advise at all it would be "don't bother". Don't buy anything ready-made, make your own. Stay away from the mayonnaise, the deep-fried and from anything ready-made.

Yes, there are plenty of solutions out there. But I find the ones that worked for me were not exactly obvious.

Shenshen wrote: »
    [*]Running - if you are overweight or obese - is one of the quickest ways to ruin your joints and back.
    I 100% agree with people needing to get more active, but running to fight obesity is not the best idea, sorry.

But I did say "or some form of activity"

• Advertisement

[*]Yes, there is a Centra some 10 minute walk from my house. But I do not earn anywhere near enough to shop there, I take the car to Lidl and Aldi.
    [*]I live 30 km away from where I work, if I take the motorway. If I don't, it's around 50km. Last time I checked, bikes weren't allowed on motorways. And call me difficult, but a 4 hour commute isn't really something "obvious".

There are ways to get healthy and lose weight - but they need to be do-able, and the person in question needs to be able to keep them up for the rest of their lives.
    The odd jog for charity - even if it doesn't ruin your knees - is not going to make anybody lose weight long-term. And that's what you need to go for, a long-term solution.

I can stop eating for a day or 2 and will lose some weight, I have done that in the past. The problem is that the moment you start eating normal (and no, I don't mean excessive, I mean a normal 1800 cal a day) that weight will come back and bring some friends along with it. It's called the "yo-yo" effect - you lose some weight, and then gain even more.
    The one thing I realised when I started to tackle my weight is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Every person is different, some have family and some don't, some get excercise at work and some don't, some have underlying conditions and some don't. Some people do well trying to lose weight in groups, some don't. Some people enjoy the gym and some don't.
    If you do have to keep up something for the rest of your life, there's no point trying to force yourself to do something you really hate.
    I tried fitness classes - not for me. I hated absolutely everything about them.
    What worked for me (and still is working) was getting a WII fit - do things in your own time when you have the time, no pressure from others, no sweating in public, no snide remarks from other gym members, and the thing actually isn't half bad at motivating you.

As for the calories listed on ready-made food, you'd want to take your time reading the details. Some of them will tell you the calories of the entire package you're looking at, when you know you'll only be eating a fraction of it.
    Others will tell you the calories per 100g, or per 25g, or per 10g, or per some other random weight, when the package you're holding is 2kg.
    If I could give people who want to lose weight any advise at all it would be "don't bother". Don't buy anything ready-made, make your own. Stay away from the mayonnaise, the deep-fried and from anything ready-made.

Yes, there are plenty of solutions out there. But I find the ones that worked for me were not exactly obvious.

christ thats a lot of excuses how about you eat less continuously drink water go for walks or swimming

weight loss is for the majority of people a simple process of good diet +exercise = not fat for long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Loads of designer (and more upmarket high-street) don't go over a size UK 14. What's the big deal? Just because yer man admitted it.

Abercrombie are boooooring anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LUPE wrote: »
    Also, obesity a mental illness? Do me a favour!
    how do you know it isn't? how do i know it is? maybe it is, maybe it isn't, the truth and the answer is we don't know

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

As an obese person, I can assure you that I've never had a shortage of people telling me I was too fat.

I was called "fat cow" by total strangers in the street.
    I had to hear people complaining to each other how disgraceful it was that they had to look at a fat person trying to work out in a gym.
    I was used as an example by one of our teachers at school to tell the class about "fat people".
    I have been informed numerous times in this very thread now that as a fat person, I must obviously be because I'm a lazy slob.

It's funny you should mention mental illness... I've known 2 girls when I was a teenager who became annorexic. Both of them started out a little chubby, one I'd say was definitely overweight.
    Both went on diets, got an immense amount of positive feedback for it, and never stopped their diets ever again until they were admitted to hospital. Now, neither of them were very stable, I'll grant you that. But to call a craving for acceptance and praise a "mental illness" is pushing it a little bit, to be honest.

By contrast, since I'm at it, I started overeating in my early teens. I was severely depressed and was suffering regular physical abuse from one parent.
    My parents split up, and I managed to overcome the depression in my early twenties, but the weight has stayed with me since. I have tried again and again, but I wasn't able to lose it long-term.
    I'm trying again now, I've lost just over 20kg in the last 2 years, but there is no guarantee I will succeed this time around, either.

It's very, very easy to call someone you have no idea about "lazy". It's really convenient to point fingers and proclaim that "only healthy is acceptable", but it smacks of a nasty does of Uebermenschentum.

Some people never have to struggle to obtain good health, others do. For the people who got dealt the easy hand, be thankful and don't look down on those who have to fight to get where you have always been.

christ thats a lot of excuses how about you eat less continuously drink water go for walks or swimming

weight loss is for the majority of people a simple process of good diet +exercise = not fat for long

Why, thank you.
    Now that you told me that, I'm sure the struggle I've been in for most of my adult life will be over and won within the next week or so!

• Advertisement

But I did say "or some form of activity"

You did, fair enough. ;)

Sorry, I just find it highly frustrating how lightly some people treat the issue.
    It's fairly easy to lose 5kg, it's quite different to lose 50. And If you have that much to lose, you can't really start going about it in the same way as the person trying to lose 5.
    Sorry for the rant.

Why, thank you.
    Now that you told me that, I'm sure the struggle I've been in for most of my adult life will be over and won within the next week or so!

a member of my family was over weight and thats all it took to loss weight because they made no excuses for putting on the weight (their father died when they were teenagers which is when it started). the logic was simple don't look at why you are fat accept you are and that it has to change then change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's because not eating is a stupid and awful way of losing weight, even 10 minutes on Google would tell you that.

Losing weight isn't just about exercise, it's also about your diet.

A good mate of mine in school at the age of 18 was near 20 stone, and hated it completely. But he was lazy about it and never changed it until he turned 26.

Since then he has gone over his food style, taken to walking when possible and exercises three times a week, no gyms or running. He's dropped down to 12 stone in about two years.

Nobody says losing weight is easy, but it does take determination and will power. At the end of the day, it's your health and possibly life at risk.

I myself am coming at from the opposite side, I'm naturally slim but work my ass off to put on weight and bulk up.

I'm trying again now, I've lost just over 20kg in the last 2 years, but there is no guarantee I will succeed this time around, either.

It's very, very easy to call someone you have no idea about "lazy". It's really convenient to point fingers and proclaim that "only healthy is acceptable", but it smacks of a nasty does of Uebermenschentum.

Some people never have to struggle to obtain good health, others do. For the people who got dealt the easy hand, be thankful and don't look down on those who have to fight to get where you have always been.

:rolleyes:.

Firstly, congratulations on losing so much weight, it's a huge achievement you should be very proud of and shows you're made of stern stuff :).

The rest of your remarks are far too sensible to get the recognition they should on this forum, and I agree that not everyone experiences weight gain or loss in the same way, and everyone who is over or underweight is that way for what could be many different reasons, or elements of many.

Well done, for what thats worth, on overcoming so many of your own obstacles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

BMI is a better way to assess your weight.

IMO body fat percentage is the only way to assess you weight

a member of my family was over weight and thats all it took to loss weight because they made no excuses for putting on the weight (their father died when they were teenagers which is when it started). the logic was simple don't look at why you are fat accept you are and that it has to change then change it

I'm so glad you actually read my posts, where I outline how I actually am currently losing weight. I was not making excuses, I was outlining a reason.

Or were you just too lazy to read that far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Umm, would that not indicate that it was an emotional problem. It's not like they woke up one morning and realised that they were fat and that they needed to eat less and exercise more.
    They had to deal with the emotional side of their eating and once they resolved that, the rest followed.

I must obviously be because I'm a lazy slob.

well why are you fat then you haven't said so people will make assumptions if you don't explain

and saying why you got fat is not the same as saying why you still are

ash23 wrote: »
    Umm, would that not indicate that it was an emotional problem. It's not like they woke up one morning and realised that they were fat and that they needed to eat less and exercise more.
    They had to deal with the emotional side of their eating and once they resolved that, the rest followed.

no over eating was triggered by emotion the decision to lose weight was simple a result of accepting that they were unhealthy and missing your dad was no excuse to be fat

it sounds harsh I know but thats how it is depression did not have to cause weight gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what excuses? he/she found a way to lose weight that works for him/her, how is that an excuse? different things work for different people, as the poster stated for something to work it has to be something you want to do, doing something for the sake of it usually never ends well

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's because not eating is a stupid and awful way of losing weight, even 10 minutes on Google would tell you that.

Losing weight isn't just about exercise, it's also about your diet.

A good mate of mine in school at the age of 18 was near 20 stone, and hated it completely. But he was lazy about it and never changed it until he turned 26.

Since then he has gone over his food style, taken to walking when possible and exercises three times a week, no gyms or running. He's dropped down to 12 stone in about two years.

Nobody says losing weight is easy, but it does take determination and will power. At the end of the day, it's your health and possibly life at risk.

I myself am coming at from the opposite side, I'm naturally slim but work my ass off to put on weight and bulk up.

I've actually looked over my diet with my doctor, there's nothing wrong with it.
    I'm vegetarian, I stay away from fats and sugars (I've never had much of a sweet tooth anyway). So if I wanted to tackle my diet, I would have to move down to between 1300 - 1500 cal a day, and pretty much stick with this for the rest of my life to avoid any kind of yo-yoing.
    By focusing on the excercise instead, I avoid that trap. I simply use more energy, get to about the same balance in calorie intake vs. use, and my body never goes into "food shortage" mode, so isn't tempted to store as much as it can.

But as I said before, everybody is different. What's working for me may not work for 100 other people. The first obstacle is actually finding out what works for you personally.

Candie wrote: »
    Firstly, congratulations on losing so much weight, it's a huge achievement you should be very proud of and shows you're made of stern stuff :).

The rest of your remarks are far too sensible to get the recognition they should on this forum, and I agree that not everyone experiences weight gain or loss in the same way, and everyone who is over or underweight is that way for what could be many different reasons, or elements of many.

Well done, for what thats worth, on overcoming so many of your own obstacles.

Thank you. I appreciate it. :)

well why are you fat then you haven't said so people will make assumptions if you don't explain

and saying why you got fat is not the same as saying why you still are

I have explained both already, and funnily enough, you replied to that very post before...

I'm so glad you actually read my posts, where I outline how I actually am currently losing weight. I was not making excuses, I was outlining a reason.

Or were you just too lazy to read that far?

I did and you made a lot of excuses before you mentioned weight loss
    congratulations by the way keep at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Well this is just silly. Of course you will pile on the weight if you starve yourself and then binge. Why not just eat "a normal 1800 cal a day" every day with the occasional treat?

I did and you made a lot of excuses before you mentioned weight loss
    congratulations by the way keep at it

I did not make 1 single excuse. I listed reasons and root causes.
    But I guess you read what you want to read.

Well this is just silly. Of course you will pile on the weight if you starve yourself and then binge. Why not just eat "a normal 1800 cal a day" every day with the occasional treat?

Er, I do?
    That's why I called it a "normal 1800 cal a day"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

no over eating was triggered by emotion the decision to lose weight was simple a result of accepting that they were unhealthy and missing your dad was no excuse to be fat

it sounds harsh I know but thats how it is depression did not have to cause weight gain

Emotional eating is an emotional problem. If someone turns to food for comfort it's not simple to just stop. No more than it's simple for a drug addict to stop taking drugs or an alcoholic to stop drinking.
    If someone finds food a comfort, then breaking that habit is not as straightforward as "accepting you're unhealthy".
    As an emotional eater myself, I know how hard it is to break it. And how easy it is to stumble when life throws something else at you.
    It's a constant battle and your posts show zero understanding of it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Er, I do?
    That's why I called it a "normal 1800 cal a day"?

Then I fail to see why you are still struggling with weight loss or why you listed that long long list of excuses as to why you are still so overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've actually looked over my diet with my doctor, there's nothing wrong with it.
    I'm vegetarian, I stay away from fats and sugars (I've never had much of a sweet tooth anyway). So if I wanted to tackle my diet, I would have to move down to between 1300 - 1500 cal a day, and pretty much stick with this for the rest of my life to avoid any kind of yo-yoing.
    By focusing on the excercise instead, I avoid that trap. I simply use more energy, get to about the same balance in calorie intake vs. use, and my body never goes into "food shortage" mode, so isn't tempted to store as much as it can.

But as I said before, everybody is different. What's working for me may not work for 100 other people. The first obstacle is actually finding out what works for you personally.

I can relate to the different body system. I've had a rapid metabolism since I was a small child, meaning I burn off food nearly twice as fast as others do. The downside is that it's very hard for me to put on weight.

I admittedly have a low opinion of vegetarianism as a way to survive, like it or not you are missing out on vital sources of nutrition like protein and iron. Protein is especially helpful when trying to lose weight as it gives you more energy to exercise. It's one of those wonderful conundrums of the human body.

Advertisement