Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather Sofa Damage After 2.5 Yrs.. Any Rights??

Options
  • 08-05-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I know people have probably heard similar stories but any advice would be appreciated.

Me and my GF bought a leather sofa just over two and a half years ago from a local "reputable" shop.

In the last 3 months we have noticed that the "leather" has been peeling away. We informed the shop owner in which he sent the rep from the manufacture who was in the area at the time.

The rep took pictures and could not believe that it was tearing away. However the rep also said that he could not find any branding or coding on the suite which he said was strange. Furthermore he said he would report back and look for it to be replaced. This was around 2 months back.

We contacted the furniture shop and the owner said he would ring the supplier - result was that the supplier informed him that they are sourcing a similar suite and would be in touch with us.

After no word from neither the supplier and after numerous follow up calls with shop finally today I decided to ring and spoke to the owner in which he informed me that the supplier has said the suite only had a 1 yr warranty and they are offering to replace it but for a fee.

Obviously we are not happy especially after the shop owner told us we would be getting a replacement a few weeks back.

We can't locate either the receipt or delivery note but do have laser card/bank statements to prove we bought it.

With the above in mind and the fact that we have been given a serious run around what rights do we have.

Also is 1yr warranty the norm for leather suites?

Tomorrow I will be ringing the shop owner back to inform him we wont be excepting their offer.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

What is the fee requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BarryT2012

They are looking for €350 to replace the suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Your issue is with the retailer rather than the manufacturer. The idea of a one-year warranty on a consumer durable is a bit of a nonsense, as is the idea that the manufacturer can decide your dispute with the retailer by setting a limit like that.

You are entitled to a reasonable lifetime from a product. What is reasonable is up for discussion. It reflects
    • how much you paid (because the reasonable lifetime from a budget sofa would be less);
    • how much wear it was subjected to (four children and two dogs might add greatly to wear);
    • a common-sense view of fair wear and tear (you can't expect it to be in showroom condition after a couple of years).

That said, you are looking at getting new-for-used. I would think it reasonable that you contribute something. My take on it is that about 25% of today's best price (not list price) might be a starting point for discussion.

Unless the sofa was over €1,000, then it is absolutely unreasonable. Besides, you were not seeking a new sofa, you were just wanting the one you already purchased, not to fall apart.

The sofa I am writing this from is about 5 years old. It's fantastic quality and purchased from a showroom at a great price. I think the 3-2 recliner combo was around €1500. For the most part, it still looks perfect. However, my ass groove is well in place and a couple of stitches popped on the side a couple of months ago from having so much use from me.

If you know the sofa should have lasted a lot longer for the use you have given to it...stand your ground. In my case, I know I have well used it, with an average of 5 ass hours per day where I sit. :pac:

Thanks for the reply..

All valid points but just to further clarify on wear and tear: There are only two of us in the house therefore we dont believe at this stage wear and tear should be a issue especially since the rep said the same was going to happen with the two seater and this is never used.

I do agree that we should not expect new for used but the retailer should of said this to my GF weeks ago as opposed to giving us the run around. Furthermore is it the norm that coding or some form of branding is not on the suite? If not have we been mislead in relation to what we thought we were purchasing at the time.

Again thanks for your feedback...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

It sounds like its not leather at all, but fake leather. Did you buy it thinking it was leather? How much did you pay?

Hi Goz83,

The suite was over 1500 and the real issue is that it's all on my GF's side and she is 5ft2... nothing on my side and I am well over 6ft...

Either way I want to give the retailer the opportunity to be reasonable and up to now he has not..

BarryT2012 wrote: »
    Hi Goz83,

The suite was over 1500 and the real issue is that it's all on my GF's side and she is 5ft2... nothing on my side and I am well over 6ft...

Either way I want to give the retailer the opportunity to be reasonable and up to now he has not..

Hope you know that she will be convinced you're calling her fat if she reads this. Your computer will be falling apart too :p

Hope you get it sorted mate. Nothing worse than empty promises.

Advertisement