If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 40PFL7605H/05 Sound Problem

Options
  • 08-05-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope you might be able to help out. I have a Philips 40PFL7605H/05 40" ambilight TV that I bought back in November 2010. It went in for repair due to an intermittent sound loss problem. When it came back I think it was fine. I never really watch dvd's but during the week put one on and it is really bad, the sound might drop out every couple of minutes for a few seconds. It doesn't seem to do it while I'm watching Sky. Also, the Net TV doesn't work either, it did in the beginning but after it came back from it's first repair, didn't anymore. 

I upgraded the software from Q5551-0.140.37.0 to Q5551-0.140.47.0 and can't connect to Net TV, not sure if there's anything worth looking at over there anyway but I'd still like to think it's been fixed. Just put on a movie that I was watching earlier too and looks like the intermittent sound problem is gone, well at least after 10 mins and it would have dropped by now so I guess that's ok now. The other thing I noticed about the TV is that the picture seems jerky when panning and this is watching a Bluray DVD on a Philips Bluray player, I thought I would have had much more of a smooth moving picture if that makes any sense ?

I suppose the tv might be faulty but I'm hoping that there's a setting somewhere that I can change that will activate the Net TV again and maybe something similar for the picture ?

I didn't buy the TV from you guys but by the looks of it, you're the ones to talk to so if you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Richie.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi guys,

Hope you might be able to help out. I have a Philips 40PFL7605H/05 40" ambilight TV that I bought back in November 2010. It went in for repair due to an intermittent sound loss problem. When it came back I think it was fine. I never really watch dvd's but during the week put one on and it is really bad, the sound might drop out every couple of minutes for a few seconds. It doesn't seem to do it while I'm watching Sky. Also, the Net TV doesn't work either, it did in the beginning but after it came back from it's first repair, didn't anymore. 

I upgraded the software from Q5551-0.140.37.0 to Q5551-0.140.47.0 and can't connect to Net TV, not sure if there's anything worth looking at over there anyway but I'd still like to think it's been fixed. Just put on a movie that I was watching earlier too and looks like the intermittent sound problem is gone, well at least after 10 mins and it would have dropped by now so I guess that's ok now. The other thing I noticed about the TV is that the picture seems jerky when panning and this is watching a Bluray DVD on a Philips Bluray player, I thought I would have had much more of a smooth moving picture if that makes any sense ?

I suppose the tv might be faulty but I'm hoping that there's a setting somewhere that I can change that will activate the Net TV again and maybe something similar for the picture ?

I didn't buy the TV from you guys but by the looks of it, you're the ones to talk to so if you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Richie.

Hi Richie,

Thanks for getting in touch, and sorry to hear about the problems you're having :(

When the TV came back from repair did they say it was fixed?  I'm just wondering if maybe the cable from your player to the TV could be faulty?

On the network side of things are you connecting straight in via an ethernet cable or using the Philips wifi dongle?  What I would do is a full factory reset on the TV to see if this helps with the network problems.  

How long ago was it from the repair?  Could maybe be worth while speaking to repair agent to see if there was anything they've done to effect the network.  And also if the sound problem is still there it doesn't look like the problem has been sorted on their end.

Chris

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

ROF,

There is no problem if you haven't purchased it from us - we are still more than happy to try to assist..

..dependent on where you are as well we could arrange for a Philips TV expert to call out to you ( there would be a small charge) to review what the issue could be - as Chris has suggested if the main issue is only on DVD I'd have a look at your interconnects as it's unusual to find the issue affecting only one source - however an alternative explanation ( That I wouldn't like to consider :mad:) is that the HDMI board may be faulty - so if you could try an alternative input such as Component and optical for the Audio monitor the audio drop-out that could give us some interesting clues.

On the Motion control - the one excellent thing with most top end Philips TV's is that they are really 'tweakable' this is great if you want to optomise the PQ quality but the downside is that you can also completely screw up the picture - I would set everything to median or factory level then start to adjust the DNM in the Settings Assistant Menu ( > Custom > Picture Quality Settings > Pixel Precise HD) you can access the 100Hz menu here and adjust the setting that control motion control to your preferences. Again I would strongly recommend that you don't leave the factory setting apply as generally especially on the '05' series the factory setting were awful! (they are better now but still benefit from being set up properly!)

Give us a shout of any of this doesn't make sense or of course if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Hi Chris & John,

Sorry the slow response and thanks very much for the info. So as of now, the sound problem is definitely fixed, got through The Hobbit the other day without a blip and that looks like it's been fixed by the software upgrade. I didn't suspect the HDMI cable as I used 2 or 3 different cables with both the PS3 and Bluray player.  Net TV still not working but I'll get a network cable and see if that works over the wifi dongle. This isn't a major thing to be honest so I'm not too stressed about that. Tried a factory reset etc. but no joy. 

Bought the TV with an extended 5 year warranty but it's a royal pain in the backside having to put it in for repair because I have to take the 32" down off the bedroom wall... of course I could just be plain lazy too :-) 

Will defo have a mess about with the picture settings and see if I can get things looking a bit better. Sounds like this should be easily fixed from what you're saying which is good. 

I'll get back to you once I try the network cable and see if I can get that Net TV working. 

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Richie.

Hi Chris & John,

Sorry the slow response and thanks very much for the info. So as of now, the sound problem is definitely fixed, got through The Hobbit the other day without a blip and that looks like it's been fixed by the software upgrade. I didn't suspect the HDMI cable as I used 2 or 3 different cables with both the PS3 and Bluray player.  Net TV still not working but I'll get a network cable and see if that works over the wifi dongle. This isn't a major thing to be honest so I'm not too stressed about that. Tried a factory reset etc. but no joy. 

Bought the TV with an extended 5 year warranty but it's a royal pain in the backside having to put it in for repair because I have to take the 32" down off the bedroom wall... of course I could just be plain lazy too :-) 

Will defo have a mess about with the picture settings and see if I can get things looking a bit better. Sounds like this should be easily fixed from what you're saying which is good. 

I'll get back to you once I try the network cable and see if I can get that Net TV working. 

Richie.

Hi Chris & John,

Richie.

Hi Richie,

Glad to hear the sound problem is sorted :)  

Network cable being a straight connection to your router should fix the net side of things hopefully.

Let us know how you get on.  And if there is anything else we can assist with just shout.

Chris

• Advertisement

So as of now, all issues sorted except for net tv so I'm on a mission to get it fixed and be done with all my problems !

I tried the network cable but that didn't work. Had a nose around the internet there and someone mentioned that after a repair, the set type was never programmed back into the tv and this causes issues connecting to net tv. Looking at mine in the CSM 1, the set type is set to 00PFL00000000 so maybe it's because they never entered in the set type after they replaced the board the last time when I had a problem with the sound ? It also shows an install date of 01/01/1996, obviously a default so maybe everything is set as default ?

Is there any recommended settings to use on the router that are available ? I have one of the Eircom Netopia routers.

Thanks again !!!

So as of now, all issues sorted except for net tv so I'm on a mission to get it fixed and be done with all my problems !

I tried the network cable but that didn't work. Had a nose around the internet there and someone mentioned that after a repair, the set type was never programmed back into the tv and this causes issues connecting to net tv. Looking at mine in the CSM 1, the set type is set to 00PFL00000000 so maybe it's because they never entered in the set type after they replaced the board the last time when I had a problem with the sound ? It also shows an install date of 01/01/1996, obviously a default so maybe everything is set as default ?

Is there any recommended settings to use on the router that are available ? I have one of the Eircom Netopia routers.

Thanks again !!!

Hi Richie,

Glad to hear the sound is working again for ya :)

I'll speak to Dave (our resident network buff) once he arrives in.  Hopefully he may have some suggestions.

Chris

Hi Richie,

Glad to hear the sound is working again for ya

I'll speak to Dave (our resident network buff) once he arrives in.  Hopefully he may have some suggestions.

Chris

Hi Richie,

I've spoke to Dave and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a quick fix for this.

To programme the set type etc you need to get into the service menu which can usually only be accessed by Philips engineers.

I reckon best bet would be to call the guys that sorted the repair and see if they can get an engineer to look at it for you..  Don't think it would be a big job to do so couldn't see your TV being away for weeks or anything.  

Apologies I couldn't assist any further with that :(

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks a million for the info. and to all the guys up there, you've put my faith back in Philips !!! I'll give them a shout down here and see how I go.

Regards,

Richie.

Hey Richieoflynn.

No problem at all.

Let us know how you get on and if there are any other questions.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.