Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City pubs & food - (Wheelchair access)

Options
  • 08-05-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, I'm just looking for some feedback about good pubs (that serve good food til late) or casual dining in Cork city, preferably Oliver Plunkett Street or Washington Street areas. A group of us are going out on a Saturday night in Cork, and one of us is a wheelchair user, so a place with lots of steps is no good...! Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sober Lane and electric would be wheelchair accessible and both serve food until 10 (maybe later).

I think SoHo has a wheelchair lift at the door and there is an elevator there as well to the upstairs toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There isn't an extensive list, but here goes.

The Oliver Plunkett (limited menu, but quite good, very accessible.)
    Sober Lane (cramped as fook if busy, but grand otherwise, definitely have a wheelchair toilet.)
    The Bailey does Pizza.
    The Woolshed (or most of the downstairs Mardyke complex) do really good food.
    The Bodega (though I'm not sure what time they serve until).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The Porterhouse is accessible. There's a wheelchair bathroom there too but there's no sign up for it and it kind of blends in with the decor. If you ask the barman to point it out you'll find it. They do food as well. The Woolshed next door is sort of accessible, there's steps between different areas but all the tables in the accessible part are quite high. The Porterhouse is much more accessible. They don't serve food from the Woolshed there but if you say your friend can't get into the Woolshed they might be ok with ordering off their menu. You can bring drinks between the pubs no problem.

The Franciscan Well is sort of accessible. You can get the bouncer to open the gate to leave you to the smoking area and the level with toilets (toilets aren't accessible though.)

The Pav is accessible on the ground floor and has a wheelchair bathroom. Sometimes it's locked to keep messers out. It's over at the right of the bar by the cigarette machine. The Pav can get extremely busy though so arrive early if you want to use it as a late bar. I'm not too sure what time they stop serving food.

If you want an ok smoking area The Slate is accessible (although they don't have a bathroom.) Again it's a late bar so arrive early and it tends to get extremely busy later on.

All the usual caveats of town on a Saturday night apply. Places do get busy so it could be hard manoeuvring around. The Porterhouse is the preferred spot, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 happythirties

Thanks to all for their input, much appreciated :)

Advertisement