Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV/Experience question?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

This isn't a serious issue but would love some advice re my situation. I'm 23 years of age and have been out of work for 3 years, but have been to college and am volunteering with the Auxiliary Fire Service, I've taken a big interest in pursuing a career in event operations and the security industry and am looking to find work in that area. Through my involvement I've developed my communications skills, conflict management etc and an understanding of event management,security and health and safety I've also got qualifications in a security/health and safety discipline.

Should I use this as experience on my cv as I'm not sure employers would take it seriously or am I being a pessimistic, the reason I say this is because its unpaid but I've been involved in a lot of events ranging from tall ships to charity events and have acted in a emergency medical first responder capacity, steward, fire-cover and even waterside safety/rescue.

So should I include this as "work experience" and mention all these responsibilities or just mention I volunteer.. Sorry If its a bit of a ridiculous one guys.

Cheers

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I would mention all you wrote above, may not be full time paid jobs , but still experience ,
    put that all on your CV can only but help. anything to get them interested in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Give it a heading of Volunteer Work on your CV and include all the details. That way there can be no confusion you're claiming it as paid work experience and you get to include all the experience you've gained though volunteering.

Advertisement