Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Paper Not So Local

Options
  • 09-05-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Anyone else find it a bit cheeky a certain local newspaper allowing Harvey Norman to advertise on their paper?
    I mean they are possibly the biggest waste of a local companies money for advertisments at the best of times but to see local ads and then a few harvey norman ads in the paper, seems to be taking the piss to me.

Rant Over, now I just hope someone agrees with me :P

Comments

I must be missing something, not seeing the issue. What exactly is wrong with a company putting an advertisement in any paper they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What exactly is the problem here, i'm sure they paid for the advertisement..

I think the suggestion is that the nearest stores are in Mayo or Limerick rather than Galway. People can advertise where ever they want OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you refer to Advertiser it's present in Mayo, Galway, Athlone and Mullingar.
    If you put a cheap advert in all 4 you reach a lot of people that possibly will travel to the pale or Mayo that same day/weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Local paper for local folk :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

snubbleste wrote: »

Blow-ins need not read. Silly thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Shanley wrote: »
    Anyone else find it a bit cheeky a certain local newspaper allowing Harvey Norman to advertise on their paper?
    I mean they are possibly the biggest waste of a local companies money for advertisments at the best of times but to see local ads and then a few harvey norman ads in the paper, seems to be taking the piss to me.

I can see the headlines in the competition:

Shock as paper declines to refuse money for advertising!

and the sub head:

Paper mill unsure why their product won't refuse ink!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I saw the ad. It promotes there website and the fact that they will deliver anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

snubbleste wrote: »

Just got my Advertiser and put it straight into the recycling bin. Have only been here 8 years, so definitely not a local :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

My point is the Galway Indo's main revenue is generated by local companies, personally I don't see any gratefulness towards their local custom and support for local businesses if they are going to advertise companies not even operating in Galway or creating any jobs for Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Companies advertise with the Galway Independent to get a return. They don't do it to support the paper or out of loyalty. They are 100% right to take whatever business comes their way (within reason of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My point is the Galway Indo's main revenue is generated by local companies, personally I don't see any gratefulness towards their local custom and support for local businesses if they are going to advertise companies not even operating in Galway or creating any jobs for Galway.

The Advertisers entire revenue comes from its advertisements. Getting anyone from anywhere to place large advertisements in it will keep the paper viable so that smaller local companies will have somewhere that they can advertise in future.

Less money in the door means less articles,photos,less ads because they'll be more expensive and less people bothering to read it because there's nothing in it. Then there'll be nowhere to advertise at all. We should be grateful to Harvey Norman on this one...and not only because a paper ad is a welcome break from their insufferable ad song.

Keep in mind that while you seem to have an issue with their paid-for advertising that helps keep local rags in business and keep jobs in those rags, you have just managed to give them free advertisement

Now please excuse me, I'm going to Go (to) Harvey Go!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't see any problem. I hope you agree with me :D

Why on earth would the advertiser turn down money from someone? They are a business trying to make money. You make it sound like they are denying local businesses advertising space which of course they are not, the advertiser will happily print as many ads as they receive payment for.

Also I'm currently not living in Galway but I still read the adverstiser either online or on weekends I'm home. There is a Harvey Norman where I live and with plenty of galway people living around the country who may like me still read the advertiser it may be a relevant ad.

Advertisement